Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: *beta* Lazy Newb Pack Launcher - Cross Platform [0.34.11] v0.5.2  (Read 68897 times)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
Re: *beta* Lazy Newb Pack - Cross Platform Edition [0.34.11] v0.4.1
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2013, 07:28:25 pm »

(Default button idea) Entirely possible and a very good idea as well :). I'll make a note of it in the backlog.
:-)   Awesome!  I was also thinking about whether this would be a good thing to migrate to a newer version, but I think generally not copying settings is better for update-proofing. 

I'd rather hardcode a DFHack configuration GUI than create a generic one, because it will be a lot less work and will result in better maintainable code.
Given the open-source-ness and responsiveness of this project, I can't see this becoming a problem.  All good, and configurable menu items will be very nice given that there'll be at least three different packs floating around with the GUI. 

And before I forget: Thanks a lot PeridexisErrant and fricy for your constructive feedback! It really motivates me to continue working on this again!
Thanks, I'm glad it doesn't come across as demanding or anything ;).  We love people who actually develop useful stuff, and this will be the best upgrade since I started. 

@fricy:  shall we start looking for a Linux partner to do the third pack?

Edit:  If this is going to be a release of just the GUI without bundled utilities, consider moving it to the utilities child board in the modding forum?  I'm trying to get out of the general discussion space - I've posted in the modding organisation thread, but no news yet (@fricy - you might want to support) - because it's not really the place for my pack but there's currently nowhere it really fits. 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 08:36:21 pm by PeridexisErrant »
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2013, 01:05:20 am »

really looking forward to this as a Mac user. so far I can't use dwarf therapist or DFhack, if you guys can get those utilities in it'll change my dwarfing experience.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2013, 03:43:46 am »

really looking forward to this as a Mac user. so far I can't use dwarf therapist or DFhack, if you guys can get those utilities in it'll change my dwarfing experience.

If the pack in my signature below is not working for you, please leave a report on that forum with your specs, maybe I can figure out what's wrong. This will be a better/unified launcher for that pack, but the content should be the same.

@PeridexisErrant: Ok, I'll see what I can do.

@Dricus: Thx, everything sounds good.
Spoiler: Aaaand... (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 10:34:28 am by fricy »

dewboy

• Bay Watcher
  • I did it..... FOR !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2013, 07:42:12 am »

Hey guys, been watching this for a while now, glad to see it's still going. I'm on linux but I have pretty much no coding experience. What is this written in? Is there anyway I can help?

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2013, 10:24:48 am »

You're on Linux, and you want to help out?  We've just decided we need someone on Linux to maintain a bundle - Iook a few comments up!  Not too tricky really, just assemble the Linux editions of the utilities (where they exist) and add the graphics which can be copied without any changes. Interested?

Donations here.

dewboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2013, 01:30:02 pm »

ummm sure, no promises. Where should i add them and stuff?
I saw that post a ways down and thats why I posted

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Dricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2013, 04:56:09 am »

Quick status update:

DFHack support is working on Windows and Linux now. It shouldn't be too difficult to get it working on Mac as well. It turned out to be not as easy as I thought it would be. DFHack works differently on Windows and Linux/Mac, so I actually had to add some platform-dependent code to make it work. No worries though, it's still all in the same .jar file.

@fricy and PeridexisErrant:

I'm planning on making a new release once I've finished DFHack support on all platforms. So if you like, you can create a test-version of your packs with my version of the LNP launcher.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2013, 09:30:41 am »

I'm not sure what you mean by that, Dfhack is launched by a script on mac along with the dwarffortress.
This the one I'm using in macnewbie, the modifications (compared to the basic dfhack r3 download) are necessary for soundsense and stonesense to work.

Code: [Select]
#!/bin/sh
PWD=`dirname "${0}"`
#thanks to Iriel for figuring this out
OSREV=`uname -r | cut -d. -f1`
if [ "$OSREV" -ge 11 ] ; then
    export DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES=./hack/libdfhack.dylib
    export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=${PWD}/hack:${PWD}/libs:${PWD}/stonesense/deplibs
    export DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH=${PWD}/hack:${PWD}/libs
else
    export DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES=./hack/libdfhack.dylib
    export DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH=${PWD}/hack:${PWD}/libs
    export DYLD_FALLBACK_FRAMEWORK_PATH=${PWD}/hack:${PWD}/libs
fi
export DYLD_FORCE_FLAT_NAMESPACE=1
cd "${PWD}"; ./dwarfort.exe

There's no separate dfhack launcer script at the moment, and I don't think is necessary as I want dfhack to "always-run".

Dricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2013, 02:54:57 pm »

I'm not sure what you mean by that, Dfhack is launched by a script on mac along with the dwarffortress.
This the one I'm using in macnewbie, the modifications (compared to the basic dfhack r3 download) are necessary for soundsense and stonesense to work.
The problem is not so much in launching DFHack, but rather in making sure a terminal emulator window appears when you launch DF with DFHack. However, that seems to be working now on Linux and MacOS.
There's no separate dfhack launcer script at the moment, and I don't think is necessary as I want dfhack to "always-run".
Right now, users can disable/enable DFHack using the launcher. I think that's nice for those who don't know how to use, or don't want to use DFHack. When you create a pack, you have the choice of having it enabled or disabled by default.

dewboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2013, 08:34:20 pm »

I can be your linux "average joe" tester. I'm lazy and I'm a newb as far as coding is concerned. I dl the next version when it comes out and start shootin errors your way.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2013, 06:35:35 am »

There's a lot of stuff that stops working if dfhack is disabled - stone sense, bugfixes, mousequery, UI plugins, sound sense, isoworld, Overseer, and way more.

Given how likely it is that some new player will decide that this hack stuff is advanced and disable a million basic features, I'd strongly prefer that there not be an option to disable it. Frankly, if anyone's that keen they can just replace the DF folder with a vanilla install.
 Donations here.

Dricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2013, 10:29:58 am »

There's a lot of stuff that stops working if dfhack is disabled - stone sense, bugfixes, mousequery, UI plugins, sound sense, isoworld, Overseer, and way more.

Given how likely it is that some new player will decide that this hack stuff is advanced and disable a million basic features, I'd strongly prefer that there not be an option to disable it. Frankly, if anyone's that keen they can just replace the DF folder with a vanilla install.
Hmm, valid point there. How about an option in lnp.properties which can be used to enable/disable the button to turn DFHack on/off? This way, pack authors can choose to create a basic and an advanced version of their pack (like LucasUP did with the original LNP).

Edit @Errant and @fricy:
On second thought, I think I agree with you guys. Given the fact that most (if not all) advanced packs will depend on DFHack, giving the user the option to disable it is not really useful. So I'm gonna take that out and create an option in lnp.properties to launch Dwarf Fortress (and the utilities) with a terminal emulator window.

As DFHack on Windows creates it's own terminal window, it won't be necessary to enable that option on Windows though.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 11:15:28 am by Dricus »

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2013, 04:26:44 pm »

That sounds like a good middle ground - exposed to us and advanced users who might want to do serious tweaking, but not newbies who may not understand the function.

I also see from another thread that you've fixed the handling of spaces in the next version - that was one of the few painful bugs, the rest were just absent features. any idea about release dates for a built version? I see that it's coming soon...

Also that you're planning a configuration GUI - I'd prefer the same effort go elsewhere, since I'm perfectly happy messing around in a configuration text file like for every other utility.  Your call, but this would be the only config GUI in DF land.
 Donations here.

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2013, 04:52:32 pm »

I think what scares off newbs from DFHack is simply not knowing what to do with the console window. Is it possible to run DFHack silently, still applying the bugfixes and such but without producing a (visible) console? Would it be possible to have buttons on the GUI that input commands to the DFHack console, to launch programs such as StoneSense?

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2013, 06:39:57 pm »

Would it be possible to have buttons on the GUI that input commands to the DFHack console, to launch programs such as StoneSense?
For Stonesense yes, with an option in the dfhack init tab (Dricus - *hint*); for a lot of other stuff not easily - stonesense can be started without anything loaded from the init file, but there's a lot of stuff that has to be run with a fort loaded and that can't be done from the init.  It might be possible, but from what I've read and asked about before it would be a whole 'nother project, certainly out of scope for this (sadly).

Is it possible to run DFHack silently, still applying the bugfixes and such but without producing a (visible) console?
If it is, no one capable of doing this is interested - all the hack-y guys are happy with the consloe, and reasonably tend to work on stuff that interests them.  We'll stop adding windows eventually... I tend to have between four and eight open when playing, without a browser. 
 Donations here.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9