Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: *beta* Lazy Newb Pack Launcher - Cross Platform [0.34.11] v0.5.2  (Read 68848 times)

Dricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *beta* Lazy Newb Pack - Cross Platform Edition [0.34.11] v0.4.1
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2013, 11:54:36 am »

Heyo, quick update again: I'm going to make a new release ASAP, although it will probably not be today, but later this week, due to me being a bit busy with RL stuff.

I'm hoping that a decent number of people can test it using the packs PeridexisErrant and fricy will (hopefully) assemble using my latest release. My first priority after the release will be bugfixing and some refactoring in the sourcecode to make it a bit more maintainable and ready for the addition of new features. Right after that's finished, I'll add the last bits of functionality to make it v1.0-worthy (like the configurable links and help menus and the defaults button).

A little something I'd like to discuss with you guys: I'm not really feeling like re-creating the init editor which is in the current version of the LNP launcher. Using the folders menu, users can quickly open DF's init folder and use their favourite text editor to edit (d_)init.txt, so creating my own text editor inside the LNP launcher feels a bit useless to me. What do you think?

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
Re: *beta* Lazy Newb Pack - Cross Platform Edition [0.34.11] v0.4.1
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2013, 10:28:16 am »

I never used the built in init editor, so I guess I'm ok with it. With that out of the way...let's see the new version! :)

Dricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes! Finally! I've released version 0.5.1 of the launcher. See the opening post for downloads and more.

** IMPORTANT **

For clarity's sake I'd like to make clear that from version 0.5.1, I will only be maintaining the launcher application. For Windows and MacOS, PeridexisErrant and fricy will eventually incorporate this launcher in their packs. We haven't found anyone yet who would like to maintain a Linux pack, so if you feel like doing that, feel free to let us know in this thread.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile

Nice!  I've just downloaded, and I'll have a bit of a play around then upload a tester version after the weekend when I have non-mobile internet again. 

Initial thoughts: 

ERROR MESSAGES - I can read the thrown exceptions, but many people who might give setup a go can't. 
 - DF init files not found - had to rename folder to df_34_11_win; it would be good to allow a little more flexibility here or at least have a 'select DF folder' dialogue
 - lnp.properties not found; maybe create a blank file when this happens and throw a readable error?

More folders:  I would (will, but standard would be good) include...
 - LNP\extras folder (I use it for cheatsheets, legacy batch scripts, the Map Maker script, backup of embark profiles and worldgen stuff
 - top level 'User Generated Data' folder; I'm trying to make that a standard so switching between packs can be as painless as possible
 - top level 'about' folder, so we have somewhere to stick licenses, readmes, etc without getting the whole thing cluttered and in-your-face and the GUI is the first thing people try clicking

Also:  looking good, if a little more work to set up ;-).  It's starting to look like it'll overtake the current windows version in the next 2-3 versions, and it's definitely usable for other platforms today.  W00T!

Edit: found a number of issues as I'm going through the configuration...
 - setting up utilities works well, and displays in config order not by numbers (I like this, it makes adding stuff and rearranging way easier)
 - some utilities fail to launch properly; specifically Chromafort.jar doesn't start at all (are .jar utilities supported?) and SoundSense only opens the GUI and no log window - not done testing that but it may be an issue.
 - utilities use a .#. number, graphics the word, and keybindings default/lnp. I'm just using numbers 1,2 etc. which seems less confusing
 - I can only get it to recognise two keybindings, which is an issue because I include three. Edit: because two were under .lnp., derp. Standardising on numerals would be good here.

I'll get to the graphics later today, but I don't imagine any issues in the config at least.

Edit2: graphics seems to be working well from my limited testing.

Could the keybindings tab go at the bottom of options, like the windows LNP? There just seems to be a lot of empty space there, and a whole tab is a little excessive.

Going really well. I'll probably start using this from the next version, no bad bugs so far just me missing experience with setting it up.

Idea: download link points to DFFD, with an archive of all platforms skeletons. The description can provide links to the full packs (maybe in the download section here too?).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 11:31:39 pm by PeridexisErrant »
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Dricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ERROR MESSAGES - I can read the thrown exceptions, but many people who might give setup a go can't.

Making common error messages more user friendly is still on my mental todo list. I'll put it in the Trello backlog as well :).

- DF init files not found - had to rename folder to df_34_11_win; it would be good to allow a little more flexibility here or at least have a 'select DF folder' dialogue

You can change the name of the Dwarf Fortress folder in lnp.properties. The setting to change is lnp.df.directory.

- lnp.properties not found; maybe create a blank file when this happens and throw a readable error?

I think this will typically be something pack authors run into when they are setting up their LNP for the first time with this launcher. When new versions get released, it won't be such a problem, because then the only thing to change is to replace the launcher and (if necessary) edit new/changed settings in their existing lnp.properties. But nonetheless I think it's useful to include a lnp.properties with some sensible defaults.

More folders:  I would (will, but standard would be good) include...
 - LNP\extras folder (I use it for cheatsheets, legacy batch scripts, the Map Maker script, backup of embark profiles and worldgen stuff
 - top level 'User Generated Data' folder; I'm trying to make that a standard so switching between packs can be as painless as possible
 - top level 'about' folder, so we have somewhere to stick licenses, readmes, etc without getting the whole thing cluttered and in-your-face and the GUI is the first thing people try clicking

What extra folders will be included is ultimately up to the pack author. As long as you don't delete or rename the default folders provided with the launcher (except for the DF folder, see above :) ), everything should work just fine. I like your 'about' folder idea though. I'll include that in the next release.

Edit: found a number of issues as I'm going through the configuration...
 - setting up utilities works well, and displays in config order not by numbers (I like this, it makes adding stuff and rearranging way easier)

I will make a note of this in the example lnp.properties.

- some utilities fail to launch properly; specifically Chromafort.jar doesn't start at all (are .jar utilities supported?)

I'll look into this. Maybe starting Chromafort.jar with a batchfile will make it work. Something like this:
Code: [Select]
@echo off
java -jar Chromafort.jar

and SoundSense only opens the GUI and no log window - not done testing that but it may be an issue.

Hm, haven't had this issue here. Did you try changing the lnp.utility.<soundsense id>.showterminal setting to true?

- utilities use a .#. number, graphics the word, and keybindings default/lnp. I'm just using numbers 1,2 etc. which seems less confusing

That's me trying to demonstrate what is possible :). For utilities, graphics and keybinds you can use any combination of numbers and letters you like. So if you like to use numbers for all of them, then that will work just fine.

- I can only get it to recognise two keybindings, which is an issue because I include three. Edit: because two were under .lnp., derp. Standardising on numerals would be good here.

What do you mean by "Standardising on numerals"?

Could the keybindings tab go at the bottom of options, like the windows LNP? There just seems to be a lot of empty space there, and a whole tab is a little excessive.

You're probably right. I'll move it to the options tab in the next version.

Going really well. I'll probably start using this from the next version, no bad bugs so far just me missing experience with setting it up.

Nice :D!

Idea: download link points to DFFD, with an archive of all platforms skeletons. The description can provide links to the full packs (maybe in the download section here too?).

Until now, I've avoided using DFFD because it's download speed is really slow for me. Don't know about the upload speed though. I'll look into doing this.

Thanks again for your feedback!!!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 12:58:57 am by Dricus »

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile

You can change the name of the Dwarf Fortress folder in lnp.properties. The setting to change is lnp.df.directory.
I actually worked this out before my edit, but forgot to remove it from the post... derpx2

What extra folders will be included is ultimately up to the pack author. I like your 'about' folder idea though. I'll include that in the next release.
I only mention this because the more common the User Content folder is, the easier it is for player to use it.  Probably something to talk to @fricy and our Linux conspirator about though. 

<utility launch suggestions>
OK, that's got Chromafort working fine (though .jar support should happen eventually, a lot of the cross-platform utilities are in java). 
SoundSense is still behaving oddly, and I have no idea why.  It may have something to do with .jar stuff again though since there seems to be a fair bit of that around.  I'll try to work out what's going on (and try eg actually playing with it as-is and seeing what happens) and post the results later. 

What do you mean by "Standardising on numerals"? (for keybinding <ID> tags)
I'd messed up and used .lnp. twice as the .<id>. part of the string; it had been explained that these had to be unique but I missed it and just copy-pasted that bit.  I assume the <default> tag doesn't actually do anything special? 

Until now, I've avoided using DFFD because it's download speed is really slow for me. Don't know about the upload speed though. I'll look into doing this.
For me, this depends on the network - at uni I've managed ~30Mbit upload plus around 10s processing on the server side.  Pretty quick; I manage a 100MB pack there.  Obviously a slow connection will cripple this. 

For fricy:  my config so far is here:  http://pastebin.com/xsT450j7
 Donations here.

Dricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Regarding your Soundsense issue: I've compared your config to mine, and there is 1 difference. In my test pack I'm using runProgram.bat as the executable, not soundSense.exe. I have the showterminal setting on false. With this config I've not had any issues with Soundsense so far.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So far no luck. :(

Spoiler: error message (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: lnp.config (click to show/hide)

So far I tried:
lnp.df.executable=dwarfort.exe
lnp.df.executable=df
lnp.df.executable=./df

but it doesn't seem to matter if I try running the .exe or the script, all of them crash before loading the GUI.

@PeridexisErrant: Thx for the config file!

Dricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@fricy: Argh, stupid me... That's some remnants of the DFHack code I had earlier for handling the DFHack on/of buton. I'll fix this quickly!

Edit:
Okay, it's fixed. I released version 0.5.2 with the fix :).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 06:17:59 am by Dricus »

fricy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, 5.2 version works:
I'm using the df script I posted above to launch the game. I tried launching the dwarffort.exe, but I have winebottle installed and it wanted to hijack the launch. Which is the intended method? Is it ok if I use the script, or will it have unintended behavior?

Graphic switching works so far.

there's something wrong with the utility launcher:
Soundsense launches, but therapist won't, I tried DwarfTherapist.app and without extension in the config. No error message, nothing seems to happen.

Spoiler: utility.conf (click to show/hide)

Dricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wat works for me on MacOS is the following:
lnp.utility.1.directory=Dwarf Therapist/DwarfTherapist.app
lnp.utility.1.executable=Contents/MacOS/DwarfTherapist

Another option is the following, although on my MacOS, that shows two DT icons of which one keeps bouncing:
lnp.utility.1.directory=Dwarf Therapist
lnp.utility.1.executable=DwarfTherapist.app
lnp.utility.1.showterminal=true

Dricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've added the following to the download section in the opening post:

Snapshot builds

For the curious and the impatient I've set up a continuous integration service, which creates a new snapshot build every time I push changes to my Bitbucket repository. Fair warning: These builds are not guaranteed to be stable and primarily aimed at pack authors who are eager to test newly imlemented features or bugfixes.

The latest snapshot build can be found here.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile

Just tested on snapshot 0.5.3; I can confirm that soundsense is working despite the lack of any logging window - actually an improvement to have fewer windows open I think. 

Code: (configuration) [Select]
lnp.utility.10.name=SoundSense
lnp.utility.10.directory=soundSense r42
lnp.utility.10.executable=soundSense.exe
lnp.utility.10.showterminal=true

I also like the new position of the keybindings, and the uniform use of numerals in the example lnp.properties file.  Very nice work!
 Donations here.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Dricus: latest snapshot lists the utilities where the graphics packs should be.

Spoiler: config (click to show/hide)

@PeridexisErrant: [10x10]Taffer and [12x12]Grim Fortress pack + minor update to Ironhand that I missed so far. Plus I'm thinking of adding Geoduck too, as I'm having a mood for ascii variants :). What do you think?

Dricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@fricy: Oh, derp... Should be fixed in the current snapshot.

Quick status update: I'm working on autostarting utilities with DF. Along with this, I'm trying to rework the way loading/saving the configuration works and struggling a bit. No worries though, I'll manage, but it will take a little bit of time to get this done. The end result will make the configuration part better prepared for future development, so I think it's worth it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9