Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Civ appointment criteria  (Read 1460 times)

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Civ appointment criteria
« on: April 04, 2013, 03:51:33 pm »

Does anyone know how leaders are chosen in worldgen? The reason I ask is that in my current fort, the civilizations screen says that the general of the dwarven civilization is a goblin. Presumably the goblins were conquered by the dwarves at some point, but I sort of wonder how a goblin could distinguish itself enough in battle to merit such an appointment. Could check in Legends mode I guess.
kingubu cancels Efficiency: Taken by mood
Project Whalegun is a go. Load the whale cannon!

Halceon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:vile machinations]
    • View Profile
Re: Civ appointment criteria
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 04:54:20 pm »

All societies are completely inclusive and pretty much anyone can occupy any position. So a subjugated elven berry harvester can suddenly become a trade liason, because he happened to be nearby.
I'm looking for your fort, maybe. Find out - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124606.0
ág sôd onol nekik
edir thol, kor egar
    berdan kälán
    alod kodor
absam abal aroth limul

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 05:43:46 pm »

Just nearby? It's a random selection? I assumed that military promotions were done on the basis of impressive kill lists or something. That's why I was surprised to see a goblin rising to the top, I didn't think a goblin would have the necessary military prowess.

(There is an alternate interpretation: he's listed as a "general/goblin glazer". Maybe he's a dwarf who glazes goblins.)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 05:52:12 pm »

Just nearby? It's a random selection? I assumed that military promotions were done on the basis of impressive kill lists or something. That's why I was surprised to see a goblin rising to the top, I didn't think a goblin would have the necessary military prowess.
It's pretty much random (though I believe the next version will be a little more discriminate).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 06:48:19 am »

I'm also fairly sure it's the Dwarves who conquered the Goblin civ. Otherwise it wouldn't be, you know, a Dwarven civ.

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 08:28:51 am »

I'm also fairly sure it's the Dwarves who conquered the Goblin civ. Otherwise it wouldn't be, you know, a Dwarven civ.
That's what I said. "The goblins were conquered by the dwarves".

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 11:08:49 am »

That's what I said. "The goblins were conquered by the dwarves".
I never said I read your post correctly.

>.>
<.<
>.>