Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23

Author Topic: The Increasingly Tragic Tale of Dumplin  (Read 74514 times)

laxori666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Increasingly Tragic Tale of Dumplin
« Reply #255 on: March 25, 2014, 05:56:04 pm »

Awesome! I hadn't read this stuff since last year in June and was so happy to see all these updates. This is me lavishing praise on Broseph Stalin so that I might further encourage him to finish it up =). I admire your perseverance and determination.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 26, 2014, 10:43:13 pm »

Awesome! I hadn't read this stuff since last year in June and was so happy to see all these updates. This is me lavishing praise on Broseph Stalin so that I might further encourage him to finish it up =). I admire your perseverance and determination.
My thoughts exactly, except without the haven't read since June part.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 27, 2014, 06:23:02 pm »

Awesome, ptw.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 07, 2014, 07:01:06 pm »

A thick layer of morning fog blanketed the valley as it tended to in the rainier months. The fortress was at it's usual frenzied pace but outside the walls there was an almost sacred stillness. The tall, ancient boughs stretched towards infinity, their leafy tops imperceptible through the dense mist. The sun had begun to rise and a relaxed- almost lazy- gray haze hung over the world. The silence was interrupted periodically by the scuffling of a pebble knocked across the ground or a twig snapping under dwarven boots. 
   Okon and Lolor spent their first month in Arrowstockades suffering all of it's trials and indignities. Soon they found themselves clad in the magnificent, ornate, filth covered regalia common to the inhabitants of the fortress and had begun settling into the daily grind. Okon was presently assigned to accompany Dumplin on patrol while Lolor was off hauling wood.

“This fortress isn't what I was expecting,” Okon said. “All they ever talk about is how great Arrowstockades is, I never heard about any burning corpses or tallow cakes or the constant threat of violent death. And the work! In the city we work regular hours instead of constant backbreaking work for days on end and then going days just wandering around. Sure there's always the risk of vampires or night creatures but we never worried about invading armies attacking twice season. Plus, I can't help but feel people are much more comfortable about the acceptable amount of body fluids coating your belongings. There's vomit and blood everywhere and nobody seems to do anything about it. I don't know how you stand it.”

“You stop caring.”

“Well I guess I'm getting acclimated to the smell but-”

“No, you stop caring about everything. You stop thinking about your hopes and dreams and aspirations. You reset your expectations. You stop feeling entitled to a room to sleep in, or a moments rest, or any sort of fulfillment,  and you get accustomed to burying your friends.  You make sure you get your two servings of ale and a solid meal and as long as you aren't dying or killing anyone you accept that as fine. You accept that you can't fix anything, that you can't help anyone, that you can only scrape by just slightly closer to life than death. Your acceptable life expectancy drops from 150 years to 5 years after migrating. The madness gets to you and you stop worrying about 'normal' or 'fair.' And then you accept that one day this fortress is going to fall in a spectacle of violence and fear and there will be no survivors. You understand that this hauling, crafting, fighting, and surviving is just a stupid overly complicated game we're waiting to lose and nothing that happens in between matters. This fortress and everyone and everything in it are completely-!”
   Dumplin paused suddenly. She turned cautiously and turned towards the forest. She plumbed the milky haze with her sharp eyes and held her crossbow at the ready. An almost imperceptible sound was drawing nearer. Okon's ears hadn't picked it up but he'd picked up the hint and was at the ready. What came next was the smell, the foul odor of death that immediately preceded a howl of dwarven terror.
   Avuz Gravetorch joined the fortress twenty two years ago and had through luck and cunning survived in the militia fifteen of those years rising to the rank of sergeant of the First Archers. He escaped countless foes and six enemies of the fortress had found death by his steady hand. He had buried no fewer than eighteen dwarves who called themselves his friends. He knew well the nature of life and death in Arrowstockades. And so Dumplin did not need to see what he'd seen she needed only to hear the fear in that dwarf's cracking voice when he cried “the dead walk!” She broke into a dead run  towards the fortress with Okon following close behind.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 10:57:56 pm by Broseph Stalin »

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 08, 2014, 02:38:36 pm »

THIS.  Loving this story  :)
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 09, 2014, 02:48:35 pm »

if Okon is a true dwarf he won't run into the forest, he'll run off into the woods in some random pattern.

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 10, 2014, 04:19:04 pm »

Awesomeness, just read the latest chapter, and all I can say is....MOAH!!! :D

Cheers

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dumplin Lakewanders and the Worst Dwarf in the World
« Reply #262 on: April 10, 2014, 05:25:52 pm »

Something was deeply and profoundly wrong. Dumplin found herself stumbling, her eyes coming unfocused, her footfalls becoming uneven her body bumping into trees and her crossbow shaking wildly in her hands. She had survived roughly two ambushes and a siege per year  with up to a dozen attempted assassinations, abductions, and burglaries in between. This was wrong.
   'This is different' something inside her said. 'you should be frightened' it warned. And so she did not turn back while she ran, she did not investigate the sounds of horror, she did not question the wails of pain or the gnashing of teeth. She and Okon deftly dodged trees and  roots and boulders navigating the perilous forest keeping the smell of rotting flesh and the sound of shambling footfalls just a little bit behind them. Occasionally their path would be clear and the horrible sounds and the horrible smells would grow distant but other times the forest would grow dense and Dumplin could sense undead hands preparing to snatch her by the neck should she fall another step behind.
   The mist made it difficult to navigate but both dwarves understood the general direction of the fortress in relation to their starting position.
   Their advance on the fortress was painfully slow, bushes grew unimpeded and trees existed close together. The relentless push forward decorated her face with shallow scratches from the thick brush carving her exposed flesh.
   Her heart stopped as a sharp impact struck her in the side and she went tumbling to the ground. She feared the worst for a fraction of a second before a woodcutter blew past her with terror in his face and tore off towrads the fortress unencumbered by heavy armor. The impact was harmless on it's own but as Okon disappeared into the forest she realized the gravity of the situation.

Pwap!
There was something fantastically recognizable about the sound of a boot sinking into the mud.
Pwap!
The impenetrable fog masked the hellish advance of the unspeakable evil.
Pwap!
Dumplin struggled to find her feet but the earth slid from beneath her.
Pwap!
Scarcely visible shadows were beginning to form within the mist.
Pwap!
The crossbow found her hand by sheer instinct and without a thought the weapon kicked and it's payload cut through the fog.
Thunk! Plop!
The foe was still over thirty feet away and only now were man-like shapes beginning to solidify. A hellish panic beset her as she recognized the sound of mud shifting. There had been no cry of pain, no trepidation in the push forward, no indication of harm save for the sound of a heavy body striking the ground and even now she could tell that it was rising once more.
   As the horrifying shapes began to develop features through the fog Dumplin struggled to find her breath as her heart thumped in her ears. She suppressed a scream as the monstrosities fell on her.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 09:33:28 pm by Broseph Stalin »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 10, 2014, 06:44:50 pm »

ohshitpleasegetamartialtrancedontdie

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 16, 2014, 05:39:36 pm »

Dumplin gazed in terror at the abominations descending on her. Even with them clear of the impenetrable fog she couldn't interpret their appearance. The decidedly wrong look of dead and decaying flesh compelled to move by blasphemous magic defied description. The nightmarish sound of undead groans began to rise to a deafening pitch. Her paralyzed state was broken by the sudden sensation of motion. The angry dead were already fading into the mist as she was pulled across the ground.
Stand
Was the first rational thought to enter her mind and she obeyed rolling on her stomach, driving a foot into the ground, and rising straight up. She ran in the general direction of safety and was loosely cognizant of the terrifying screams of dwarves who were not so fleet of foot and the dread wails of the undead. Only now as her body adjusted to immediate agonizing death being downgraded from certainty to a probability. As her mind returned to quasi-normal operation she could began to interpret the shouting.

“That was close!” Okon was speaking in some horrible mongrel mix of shrieking and whispering. “I looked around and you were gone! What the hell is going on!?”

“Get to the fortress.” Dumplin said levelly. “They're going to shut the gates.”

“Armok's blood we'll be torn apart!”

They tore through the underbrush with new found vigor until the canopy grew thinner and the stumps more frequent. Soon the last of the trees was behind them and they existed in a perfect bubble. Surrounded by featureless grass and their field of vision reduced to a radius of about thirty feet speed, direction, and the passage of time were strictly academic concepts. Eventually the great wooden walls appeared at the edge of the mist and grew more defined. She immediately recognized the featureless shape standing sentinel in front of the entrance as the wraith Cerol. 

At the entrance twenty dwarves lapped in quasi indestructible cyan armor. At their head stood the most wicked weapon master of dwarven kind speaking grimly to the bastard task master of Arrowstockades. The hollow eyed full face helmet of Cerol did not shift to acknowledge them but a deep green eye flicked towards them in acknowledgment.

“Join the others in the staging area you two”  Feb said. Dumplin recognized an uncharacteristic nervousness about him that Okon likely hadn't.

The chill voice of Cerol seeped out into the air as they entered the fortress.

“Are we prepared to seal off the fortress?” The terrible figure faced the forest his massive blade penetrating the ground and his hands resting atop the pommel.

“Most are safe,” Feb flipped back and forth through a booklet of ratty parchment. “A few are lost I think. Two woodcutters, and four herbalists are still out there. Ashmon was already inside but he ran out screaming about the undead.”
The monstrosity paused before speaking in dread low tones. “If he's the warrior you believe he is he will not require saving. If he isn't then he's unworthy of it.”

The sentence knocked the air out of Dumplin's chest.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 16, 2014, 05:57:49 pm »

Wooo, no immediate death!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 19, 2014, 08:39:42 am »

Dumplin suppressed the emotion building in her chest. The trees of the forest still shivered and rustled with unlife as the rotting monstrosities infested the woods. The fortress took everyone eventually and if today was the day that it called for Ashmon's blood she could not save him. She could not save Vakun, she could not save Tath, and she certainly couldn't save Ashmon. The very idea of “saving” someone doomed to die of some other unspeakable horror in the halls of Arrowstockades was foolish. It made no sense, it was just not possible to do any good for any dwarf in Arrowstockades. Besides, Dumplin's heart was hard now and she no longer felt sadness at the loss of her friends, anger at the fortress, or fearful about what the future held. She didn't care about anything anymore, she didn't care about Ashmon or Asen or Okon or Obok or the Baboons.

So why did it hurt? Why was it so miserably and agonizingly painful to think of Ashmon alone, terrified and confused running through the woods? Why did she feel ill when she remembered the happy, goofy, nudist who welcomed her to Arrowstockades? Why was she blocking the image of Ashmon as a mangled living corpse turned against his own home? Why did it completely deplete her reserves of mental strength to stop herself from seizing Cerol by the neck and demanding he do something to save the loyal soldier? Why did she hate herself as she kept walking?

Feb continued to hold court with Cerol. “We also have two of Kilrud's brigade are still out there-”

“Kilrud Coldabyss?” Okon turned instantly and stepped towards the Wraith.

Cerol did not turn but Feb faced Okon with a scowl. “Get to the staging area Cluttercraze.”

“Who is missing from Kilrud Coldabyss' squad?”

“Report to the staging area!” Feb snarled.

“Is Lolor Siltlock still in the forest!?” Okon's hand tightened around his crossbow and he began to hold it at the ready.

Feb's sword leapt to his hand. “Cluttercraze I will I will cut your bastard head off if you don't put that damned thing down!”
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 04:48:31 pm by Broseph Stalin »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 23, 2014, 09:30:48 pm »

“Where's my wife!?” The scream echoed throughout the fortress.

“Gone.” The high cold voice was soft but carried effortlessly to every listening ear. He turned towards Okon. “By now they've torn her apart and her body stands among her ranks coming to destroy this fortress. You've already failed her, do not fail the rest of us. Go to the staging area recruit.”

“Look!” Okon pointed towards the mist. “They were right behind us on the way here, if they aren't at the gates now it means they must have stopped! They're waiting, we don't need to close the gate- not yet. Please, Commander, please help me find my wife.”

Cerol didn't acknowledge him.

“Risk ten to save one?” Feb answered for him. “Win enough battles like that and the fortress'll collapse.”

“I am not leaving her out there!” Okon's frantic wild eyes darted around searching for some fragment of hope in the faces of the assembled squad. He searched the angry eyes of Feb, the empty eyes of Cerol, and finally stopped on the broken pain wracked eyes of Dumplin. “Dumplin, you have to tell them, we can find her and get back before they reach the walls! Ashmon's out there for Gods' sake!”

Dumplin fondly remembered the feeling of a knife piercing her stomach as tremors wracked her body and she became physically ill. Everything in her demanded she lay Obok down inside the gates and follow Okon to battle. Everything she remembered about the other world, about good and right, about loyalty and friendship required her to go. Anyone anywhere except for a miserable twisted soul from this miserable twisted pocket of the world would have gone without question.

“It's too late Okon.” Some soulless monster spoke in Dumplin's voice. “Anyone whose still out there is dead. We have to go to the staging area.”

“There's no more time,” Cerol said. “Pull the lever.”

“Puuullll the leverrrr!” Feb bellowed.

“Pull the lever!” A sentry cried.

“Pull the lever!” A guardsman called.

The cry jumped from dwarf to dwarf and was carried into the bowels of the fortress. Cerol and the army passed through the great aperture as mechanisms groaned and clicked. Dumplin and Okon made eye contact until the great bridge rose between them.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #268 on: May 23, 2014, 11:41:49 pm »

Yeah,.Updates. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 02, 2014, 09:16:39 am »

The entrance to the fortress was a great vestibule where the great gate and inner doors separated the fortress from the Trade Depot and the Trade Depot from the wilderness. In this separate lock the armies of Arrowstockades prepared for war. It took quite some time for every military dwarf to be woken, pulled from their jobs, armed, armored, and made battle ready and like an incomplete bridge an incomplete army was of no practical value. The difference between decisive victory and utter massacre may rest on whether or not two or three dwarves dawdled picking up their swords.  This was the deadly flaw of the Dwarven Military. The time it took to mobilize an effective force meant certain death for anyone outside the walls and offered horrible pensive minutes to any guilt wracked dwarf.

Dumplin was no stranger to combat, over the years she had seen countless battles but this was far different. This battle was uniquely horrible for three reasons. First, the undead legions of the Bastard Spire had never attempted to make the long journey south. The denizens of that blighted tower had always existed more as a myth than a salient threat to Arrowstockades and their presence here meant that their raids had exhausted the available supply of living bodies in the north. Second this was the first time Dumplin or the Baboons were not slated to enjoy the fighting from the battlements but to enter the fray themselves. Third, this was the first battle where Dumplin sincerely regretted that she presently stood on the safe side of the walls.

She had abandoned Ashmon to the undead legions and when the newcomer Okon had dared to think heroically she attempted to dissuade him. It was clear to her that she belonged outside skulking through the corpse-haunted forests hunting for Ashmon and Lolor, that in the best of all possible worlds when duty called Dumplin Lakewanders had not shunned it. But in the best of all possible worlds there was no Arrowstockades.

The land of fear and misery where Dumplin had the pleasure of residing was governed by simple rules and chief among them was the hopelessness of resisting fate. Lolor and Ashmon were dead the moment she fell behind and Okon was dead the moment he left the safety of the fortress. Had Dumplin followed there would be no heroic battle, simply four slabs engraved instead of two. None of this gave her comfort. No simple truths or rationalizations could make her whole. When Cerol was satisfied at the number of Dwarven Militamen he became animate once more and rallied he began to speak.

“The enemy has ceased to advance. They remain outside range of our sharpshooters and artillery. To drive them from our home a direct military engagement is necessary. We will push into the forest and purge the undead down to the last. There is a necromancer among their ranks and until he is killed, the fallen of both sides will rise to join or rejoin the invaders.” Dumplin spent a moment considering how an army of dwarves shivering in their armor made a very strange noise.

“The undead are exceptionally susceptible to crossbow bolts. The infantry will create a line of defense between the invaders and the marksdwarves who will claim the majority of the killing. It is a terrible thing to be attacked by the undead and the weak among you will break. It is pointless and dishonest to tell you to be unafraid, I will instead warn you that there is no possibility that fleeing will help your chances of survival. Steel yourselves now. Pull the lever.”

“Pull the lever!”

“Pull the lever!”

“Pull the lever!”

The cry traveled around the fortress again until mechanisms once more groaned and the drawbridge fell with a deafening crash and there was a sudden rush of sweet morning air tainted by the smell of death. The army advanced with the marksdwarves safely insulated behind a barrier of dwarven might their commander Cerol Sabershaft leading the charge with his peerless iridium blade. In the distance a black legion of boundless terror rallied under the flag of the Necromancer General Kopoh Torturedrest and his black powers gifted from the ageless slab of pure fire Hate Ever Onward. The denizens of the fortress and the gods themselves looked on in fear as the two deadly forces prepared to meet.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23