Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23]

Author Topic: The Increasingly Tragic Tale of Dumplin  (Read 73329 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: The Increasingly Tragic Tale of Dumplin
« Reply #330 on: February 20, 2015, 06:40:49 pm »

This...

this is awesome.

As good as Boatmurded.  No, better.  This is the best.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 20, 2015, 10:16:40 pm »

So there's no confusion: Yes the story is done. I actually started writing this when I was playing dwarf fortress during a weekend alone. A dwarf named Dumat Stakepondered stood in the wrong part of the battlements and was shot an absurd number of times by a gnomish ambush. She collapsed where she stood and was peppered with bullets until she managed to dodge one in one of the brief periods of consciousness. I put everything I could into saving her because I thought this was hilarious and named her Dumplin to keep track of her. Her child wandered into an ore vein in some difficult to access area of the fortress while she was in the hospital and she survived just long enough to pick him up and take him to the dining hall before bleeding to death for reasons that aren't entirely clear. When she was buried and slabbed as "Dumplin" I thought about how evil it is to change a dwarf's name and made a list of the other awful things dwarves had gone through under my leadership and decided to write a little story about one dwarf who went through them all. After I had dozens of pages written in one sitting I decided I may as well see if anybody else got a kick out of it and then two years happened. Sorry for all the missed updates, hope you had fun.

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 21, 2015, 11:57:09 pm »

it was a great read
this story really has resonated for me, when i think of the day-to-day suffering of ordinary dwarves
or more specifically, the shocking non-suffering they seem to manage under truly bizarre circumstances

i liked the twist ending there, too.  reminded me a little of the Matrix when she is suddenly reading the Bay12 forums.  It might have been a better twist if she found her own story on the forums, read how it ended, and then went up to face the gnomish invasion with full knowledge what was coming.

great story, Broseph

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 22, 2015, 02:48:20 pm »

nice

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #334 on: March 01, 2015, 02:16:20 pm »

Wait, so Dumplin's husband went outside and was zombified or something?  I still don't really get that part.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 01, 2015, 03:58:34 pm »

Wait, so Dumplin's husband went outside and was zombified or something?  I still don't really get that part.

While she was trying to get back in the fortress he left the fortress to look for her and was killed and zombified.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 01, 2015, 07:54:10 pm »

There are no words to describe the feels :o  Best part (aside from the whole thing, really) was her insistence that every Dwarf is important and worthy, even after confronting the legendary engravings in the twelfth bay.  I wonder how many Dwarves would bail out if they were given the option.  Instead, unseen divine forces compel them to stay at their new home until death or madness claims them.  Bravo mate :)

icer667

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 03, 2015, 08:56:16 pm »

That was so amazing.

The whole story, in four hours.

I really got sad at the end, Dumplin has to be my favourite character in all of the DF stories I have read (Except for Ashmon, of course).

I also loved the "Urist Scarecrow" part, as it was a very intimidating and intense scene.

So, thanks for making this brilliant story, you magnificent bastard. I'll never look at dwarf fortress the same way again, knowing what I do to these innocent people. Actually, in that regard, THANKS ASSHOLE. Just kidding please don't hate me

TOGA!

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 21, 2015, 05:50:00 pm »

This extremely depressing story has led me to think of what I do with my own fortresses, in which I usually just gear up soldiers until a mega-beast decides to confront my forces. I love this story so much, and was sad at the last few updates. The "Ashmon found a rock." part pretty much summed up the importance of a normal dwarf.

Bravo, you magnificent bastard.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Meneth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 22, 2015, 06:44:13 am »

There is another Dumplin, who arrived just after this story ended. He's had a bit more luck in his life. TeamFourStar plays Dragonball Xenoverse: The Adventures of Dumplin!
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23]