Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Where did you start in?  (Read 2709 times)

Deto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Where did you start in?
« on: October 29, 2007, 07:20:00 pm »

Me myself, I started in my ideal lovely location... behind the local human inn. Infact, between the inn and tavern. Some small stairs leading down in to the dwarven... mudbox..   :D

:D

[ October 29, 2007: Message edited by: Deto ]

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Where did you start in?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 07:26:00 pm »

You are exceptionally clever. The only people in the inn (Drunkards) won't even notice the noise, and the mayor will be too busy sending young men and women to their graves in Brainkickers the Horrible Cave of Suffering to even raise an ear.

Very clever.

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 07:27:00 pm »

Nice. If you run out of beer, I guess you could dig into their wine cellar  :D

Personally, I've gone for a brook perched between two massive crags. I have so many ideas for making it into a fortress, its just going to take forever and a day!

Deto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 07:32:00 pm »

Or if I ran out of beds, I can always put dwarves to sleep in human beds... Infact, I just noticed I can just designate human beds as dwarven barracks  :D Or better yet! I can just remove them from their rooms and put them in my fortress! Free defence! Free stuff! Dwarven heaven!  :D

elipsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 07:33:00 pm »

I started on a black sand beach. mussels populated the beach which was pretty awesome and the serf was nice, unfortunately though...red clay isn't good for building so my crack mason just picked up fish. i decided to restart in a more conventional location until my handle on the controls is more complete with the new version.

Future

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 07:33:00 pm »

Lol i ended up starting in between 4 goblin forts, which was not a clever idea btw  :D. I would show you screenshots but i have no idea how to. Also i just posted in the DF General Discussion if you wanna read about some weird discoveries i made.

Deto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 07:36:00 pm »

INTERESTING! The humans don't really care about me. I just reclaimed their weapon storage and they're now piling up in my own  :D

Future: Press printscreen in your keyboard, then paste image to some imageediting software, even paintbrush will do  :D

Future

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 07:39:00 pm »

kk thanks for that Deto

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 07:53:00 pm »

I've started a couple of times and only killed one dwarf. The last 3 times I started at a volcano. Great for that early metalsmithing. And with all the new ores you can do lots.
Interesting the one dwarf that got killed was a miner. It was an accident. Honest. I was not trying to kill the miner but the new recruit two levels down standing under a massive rock held up by a few threads. Oh and the pumps work. Shut down my entire metal smithing operation when I pumped lava out. Although has anyone else noticed a severe drop in the game speed?

elipsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 07:54:00 pm »

I'm getting a really jerky FPS. atleast in the last map I played. I wonder if i need to fiddle with options.

Future

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 07:57:00 pm »

Mine seems to be less jerky when i make the local map smaller.

elipsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 08:06:00 pm »

I think local map is the key, i made a long thin local map and i'm geting strait 99/100 FPS. I also changed to a glacier though, and i bet it saves on the FPS not having to track plants.

FFLaguna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 08:08:00 pm »

Yup, the maximum allowable area just plain doesn't cut it as far as FPS goes. I went with a quarter-sized chunk, and I'm playing just fine, now.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2007, 08:31:00 pm »

Who has seen the new chasm? I was invading a goblin town(5 axedwarves, 2 miners) and noticed that there is a chasm on the map. It went deeper then the map. Went from the surface to the bottom and was just chasm tiles on the bottom. Found some trolls and other creatures on the ledges around it though.

I have seriously got to stop jumping from one location to the next. I'm going to run out of room. Then I will have to make a new map or a reclaim. Also you can start in an elven town or a goblin town.

If only I could get the FPS over 25. I don't know what else to do, temp and weather are off. I'm using the smallest maps but even the larger ones don't seem to change it much.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2007, 08:31:00 pm »

Found a volcano next to the sea.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5