Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Where did you start in?  (Read 2713 times)

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
Re: Where did you start in?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2007, 08:32:00 pm »

I just started at a volcano. It planted my dwarves about halfway up the mountain with no clear way down. I realized I could just build ramps and stairs, so I did that, then drained out the pool my fisherman was using from below, which was really cool.

I can see into the chasm because there's an opening to it somewhere. It's neat looking at all the antmen clustered together in groups on the little ledges, with batmen and giant bats flitting around between them.

Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Joker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2007, 08:48:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Deto:
<STRONG>Or if I ran out of beds, I can always put dwarves to sleep in human beds... Infact, I just noticed I can just designate human beds as dwarven barracks   :D Or better yet! I can just remove them from their rooms and put them in my fortress! Free defence! Free stuff! Dwarven heaven!   :D</STRONG>

LMAO... Dwarf Gypsy invasion.

elipsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2007, 08:49:00 pm »

is there a way to reset your 'gate' spot? the place you go when you hit G?

i made a fort in the suggested area, but decided to move way away from where the wagon started. now my dogs want to hang out over there and won't come into the 'real' fort. is there a way to change the lounging spot?

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2007, 08:52:00 pm »

Open up the hotkeys menu, i , Then go to where you want to place the new location and press the corresponding Fx button where x is a number. Then after you leave the menu whenever you press that button it will jump to that location, very useful for big forts.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2007, 12:07:00 am »

I started a fortress on a tiny heavily forested volcano island next to the beach. Dug down through clay to reach massive amounts of obsidian and... Aluminum! A small deposit of it. I wa shocked. In addition, I just found a vein of gold and iron. I'm about to drain a pocket of water from the surface down into a chamber dug beneath my dining room. Wheeeeee  :D
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2007, 02:10:00 am »

Woot!  I've got a river flowing next to a volcano!    :D

O.M.F.G.  I just noticed it's also Terrifying!
The gods have given us a sign!  Strike the earth!

[ October 30, 2007: Message edited by: Earthquake Damage ]

Markham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.boogatech.com
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2007, 03:19:00 am »

I attempted a haunted wilderness.  Zombie fish crawled out of the rivers and slaughtered everyone in minutes.  There were 7 screens of undead fish in the U menu.

[ October 30, 2007: Message edited by: Markham ]

anonymousphrase

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2007, 03:29:00 am »

I gave settling under a human town a go.  The dwarves and the humans got along fine until one day....

And then...

Now, I view the area not as a town, but as a wood mine.

his sig has been deprecated.

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2007, 03:31:00 am »

I'm on a plateau-type thing. It's pretty cool- there's a river off to the west of the map, and everything west of the river is a desert, but my side is lush and green. Nice contrast.

On a side note, there's a gem called "bloodstone" which I don't recognize about halfway up a sheer cliff. That name bodes if you ask me.

IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!
YOU ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS!

Deto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2007, 03:43:00 am »

anonymousphrase: LOL! Well done! Haha  :D That's brilliant  :D

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2007, 03:48:00 am »

Hmm.  That building collapse brings up a good question:  What are the new cave-in rules?

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2007, 04:18:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Earthquake Damage:
<STRONG>Hmm.  That building collapse brings up a good question:  What are the new cave-in rules?</STRONG>

Things only collapse if they're completely disconnected (no floating masses of rock). Other than that, anything's good.

IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!
YOU ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS!

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2007, 04:24:00 am »

There's a new version? Why am I always the last to know... (DIES)
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2007, 04:55:00 am »

quote:
Things only collapse if they're completely disconnected (no floating masses of rock). Other than that, anything's good.

Are you sure?  In that case either I'm incompetent or diagonals don't count as connected for cave-in purposes.  I had a small yet tall chunk of cliff across the brook from me that I decided to strip mine for material.  I lost one miner when white sand collapsed on his head (was going to leave a pillar then remove the floor it's supporting later) and another is now severely wounded after a 4-5 story fall when the top floor (which he was removing) fell out from beneath him.

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2007, 05:03:00 am »

ROFL, that is simply hilarious! Uber sabotage.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5