Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Announcing the Kadeaux Nation System (Interest Check)  (Read 1060 times)

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Announcing the Kadeaux Nation System (Interest Check)
« on: April 13, 2013, 01:41:04 am »

I plan on making a nation RP using the Kadeaux NRP system, created by an incredibly gifted RPer of the same name on my home forum. I'm sure there's a TV-Tropes esque "Ur Example" of this somewhere, but to my knowledge, he thought of the idea.  Now, what is this system? I'll explain.

-The setting itself is more abstract, it's really the traits that are collectively chosen that determine relative technology of the time, and the list of available ones gives you an idea of a rough ballpark
-Every player is given the same list of traits to choose from and the same amount of points with which to do so.
-Combat is still abstract. It's up to the head GM, who customarily but not always does not take a nation, or several battle-gms who are trusted players who are not involved in the conflict. If you take traits that say "Quality over quantity" and then start throwing Korean War waves at people, there's going to be an issue. The traits serve as a guideline and a final trump card; someone else takes "Armored Vehicles (IV)" and you take "Armored Vehicles (II)" and have a tank battle, it would be very hard for RP'd combat to shift that with those factors alone. Now, that's not to say RP conflict has nothing to do with it. To the contrary, if you instead put those points into "Close Air Support (II)", then you'd tell me how you're using your air support, the other guy tells me his countermeasures, I cross reference the traits and see if everything checks out, then use my best judgement that will typically involve a roll.
-Active non-player nations are rare, generally used as Mongol Invasion style GM events to shake things up.
-RP is strongly encouraged.
-Generally there is a pre-generated map with unlabeled countries on it that serve as slots.

So, I'm thinking we set it in the early renaissance, around 1300 and the relevant technologies there for maximum diversity.

Who would be interested?   
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 01:44:40 am by Urist_McDrowner »

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Announcing the Kadeaux Nation System (Interest Check)
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 01:50:59 am »

I'm interested, although my RP isn't very high quality.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 05:59:30 am »

So it's more RP than mechanics-based? Sounds interesting. Is it more collaborative writing than a competitive game, or is 'winning ' still the main point?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 06:35:00 am »

I'm interested.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 03:40:03 pm »

So it's more RP than mechanics-based? Sounds interesting. Is it more collaborative writing than a competitive game, or is 'winning ' still the main point?
Yes, it is certainly more RP based. You create a nation concept in your head and choose traits to give it definite form.

Well, de jure it's collaborative, but the way it generally works is that players start manipulating each other and playing 3d chess and devolves into a cold war.  If the GM's on his toes, he can throw in enough GM events to keep the ball rolling and prevent that from happening, and he can keep player arguments in check, which is generally how RPs of this style die.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 03:49:52 pm »

You said RP; therefore I would be interested.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 03:53:50 pm »

I have interest.
This is a blank sig.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 04:09:08 pm »

Sounds cool, I'll join.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 05:05:35 pm »

All right, that's enough interest for me to start drafting a list of traits and a map.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 05:07:26 pm by Urist_McDrowner »

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 05:10:05 pm »

IN WITH THE FURY OF A THOUSAND SUNS.

:3 Rp + getting to make up a country? YUSPLEASETHANKYOU.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 05:45:07 pm »

I support this idea!