Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program - Bay12 Reality Edition 2!  (Read 6310 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Kerbal Space Program - Bay12 Reality Edition 2!
« on: April 08, 2013, 03:42:30 pm »

The first round of the Bay12 Reality Kerbal Space Program has drawn to a close, and the Heavy Foot of Government has fallen squarely on the little green shoulders of the KSP administrative staff. While great progress was made in the initial surge of activity surrounding the Kerbal Space Program, those in charge are no longer content to pour unlimited amounts of money into the KSP in the vague hopes of something good coming from the program.

Thus, rules and requirements have been put in place to direct and incentivize the exploration and exploitation of space. These rules are subject to balance changes/tweaks as we proceed.

Missions are now open ended. If you think you can achieve a mission, you are free to go for it. You may want to use some cheap ships to grab some low hanging fruit and beef up your budget before going for the more difficult choices.

We begin with a budget of $250,000 (Kerbits).

How it works:

When your turn begins, you will do the following:

1. Post the Mission and Target you intend to achieve. (i.e. If you wan to put a kerman on the moon, your mission would be Lander and your target would be Mun.) Each launch may have only one mission and target. Any other objectives you achieve during the launch are incidental (see incidentals below).
2. Build a vehicle to accomplish that goal.
3. Screenshot the vehicle along with the kerbal engineer window showing the total cost of the vehicle in the vehicle assembly bay or spaceplane hangar.
4. Launch your mission, document your progress.
5. Post the results, including the vehicle cost and a screenshot of the final mission log (F3). If your vessel is unmanned, or your manned vessel has landed at a safe location, you may end flight. If your manned vessel is not in a safe

location, do not end flight! Unsafe kerbonauts must be rescued. See below for definition of safe/unsafe locations.

You may perform only one launch during your turn, not including recovery/utility vehicles.

Sorry for all the spoilers. There is a lot of stuff here!

Spoiler: Missions (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spacecraft (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Operations (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Vehicles (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Krew (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Time (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Achievement Bonuses (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Test Vehicles (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Safe/Unsafe (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Research (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Probes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Incidental Objectives (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mission types (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Targets (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Penalties (click to show/hide)

Mission Log:

Turn 1: ??

Spoiler: Mods Included (click to show/hide)

Feel free to suggest other mods or rules changes.

You can go ahead and start posting to discuss planned missions and requesting turns. Turns will go to people in the order they are requested with the exception of people who registered but did not get a turn in KSPR1, who will go first if they request a turn.

Turn Order:

Turn 0: Girlinhat (Never got a turn in the last game, so first you go)
Turn 1: Dutchling
Turn 2: Karlito
Turn 3: LordSlowpoke
Turn 4: ??? (Did I miss anyone wanting a turn?)

Modpack: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9910241/KSPR2_Pack.zip
Initial Save: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9910241/KSPR2_Initial.zip

edit1: fixed weird formatting error
edit2: updated mod list, added pack download and turn order
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 12:59:20 pm by forsaken1111 »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program - Bay12 Reality Edition 2!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 03:59:15 pm »

Well, sign me up :D. Am a little busy till Thursday though.

Mods look good, but why no Kethane Pack? You could also award players for not leaving any debris in orbit, as that is a little goal I always have when designing ships.

edit: oh god, that's a lot of text :P. Why would you make a clock ship though? Can't you just use the age of the save? It shows that when you choose a save to load.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 04:06:34 pm by Dutchling »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 04:08:43 pm »

Yes yes sign me up! I can actually do a turn this time around. Need a while to read through the OP though :D.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 04:13:40 pm »

I'll be able to take my turn on the weekend, so sign me up for that.

Already considering blowing the entire budget on an absurdly oversized probe carrier to deploy all over Eve. Hold up, would deploying a satellite network on another body count for anything?

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 04:23:57 pm »

Sign-upped-ness please :)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 04:25:09 pm »

Hold up, would deploying a satellite network on another body count for anything?
Satellite deployment would be an Orbit mission with a target of Eve or wherever else. If you did it with a manned vessel you'd get the full reward, with an unmanned vessel you'd get half. You don't get more for deploying multiple satellites with one mission though.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 04:27:04 pm »

What's the penalty for leaving someone rot in a stranded spaceship?
Also, wouldn't an unmanned satellite be infinitely more useful than a manned one?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 04:30:57 pm »

Also, wouldn't an unmanned satellite be infinitely more useful than a manned one?
I said if you use a manned vehicle to deploy the satellite, not deploy a manned satellite. Like taking the space shuttle up to put a satellite in orbit.

Leaving someone in a ship with no intention of rescuing him would incur the 'lost to the void' penalty if nobody else brought him home within the next year or so.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 04:38:01 pm »

I said if you use a manned vehicle to deploy the satellite, not deploy a manned satellite. Like taking the space shuttle up to put a satellite in orbit.

Leaving someone in a ship with no intention of rescuing him would incur the 'lost to the void' penalty if nobody else brought him home within the next year or so.

Huh, interesting.

Just out of pure curiosity, can I launch a craft that has its mission to deploy a craft into a body's orbit (orbit x body mission) and then people take parts out of that craft and do separate missions with them? I'm probably not going to do it, but I like to have this defined for when it's time to be silly.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 05:01:32 pm »

Huh, interesting.

Just out of pure curiosity, can I launch a craft that has its mission to deploy a craft into a body's orbit (orbit x body mission) and then people take parts out of that craft and do separate missions with them? I'm probably not going to do it, but I like to have this defined for when it's time to be silly.
You can do whatever you like in that respect, keeping in mind that you'll be paying for everything out of the budget so making a huge multipurpose "I may need this later" ship might not be the best thing to do right away.

If you mean a planned multi-stage operation where you launch one large ship and pieces are undocked for various uses, that's fine too. It falls under the operation rules.

Also keep in mind these rules will be tweaked and balanced as we go.

Edit: Is anyone else having trouble reaching kerbal space port?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 05:23:02 pm by forsaken1111 »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 05:32:25 pm »

I can't get to either Kerbal Space Port of the KSP Forums. I generally don't use too many mods, so I was going to try and familiarize myself with a few of them.

EDIT: Looks like they've been down a couple hours.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 05:45:44 pm by Karlito »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 07:26:38 pm »

I'm in for some crazy operations.  If we start with Mechjeb I'm up for about anything right off the bat.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 07:31:16 pm »

PTW
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 11:05:12 pm »

Feel free to suggest other mods or rules changes.
You seem to be missing the Projects section.

For debris landing around KSP, does it count for the penalties if the debris has a parachute attached? It's extremely inefficient to go sideways enough to safely drop standard solid boosters before they run out.

Under reusable craft you have partly reusable craft requiring 10% per recoverable detached part +$10 per fuel unit, would this rule also cover parts from non-reusable craft that are dropped below 50k?

Fuel costs $10 per unit in your current rules. The stock parts have fuel tanks costing $2-$5 per liquid fuel unit (include the tank). Solid boosters are even cheaper at about $1 per fuel unit (including the parts of the booster that aren't fuel).
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 11:15:38 pm by Leonon »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 12:53:17 am »

Kerbal Engineer isn't mentioned in the mods list, though you do state earlier in the post that we'll use it.

Is all of Kerbin a safe location? It's not easy to land a capsule returning from orbit right back at the space center.

What exactly is the protocol for test launching a rocket? Let it get to 40-50 km and end flight? Cut the engines and crash it into the ocean?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4