Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall (Parallel Universe)  (Read 12764 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall (Parallel Universe)
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 08:15:57 pm »

It's not my fault if the only things I know is accounting, English, history, and other high-school advanced subjects, albeit at a high level. 'Sides. It's Dwarf Fortress. Hamfistedly experiment is the only way to make artifacts and become legendary.

Perhaps I should have pottery or a similar labor enabled as well. And Architect. I'm good at those/like them.

Bear in mind those arts-n-crafts skills people might make fun of you for having after quitting the 'scouts are actually useful here. In fact, any former boyscouts/girlscouts/your country's equivalent, do not hesitate to list your assets.

Accounting is good, you'd probably have some ranks in Organizer and Bookkeeping. Math is good, especially geometry, for architect, though it's not exactly a substitute for real training.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 08:19:00 pm »

I was in the scouts for about two years. That's it. But I did take an architecture class, which is why I say that.

I just have a very good memory and am able to learn extremely quickly. Though I do have ADHD. But no real arts and crafts, no.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 08:23:04 pm »

To make things interesting, try picking a job that matches something you know in real life. Make sure to tell us what your real life skills are! If you want to do something you have no idea about, you could still RP it, but you'd be ham-fistedly learning from dabbling through sheer persistence alone.

I hope some of you are either frequent campers or have worked at a ren-faire. Still, learning fresh or adapting your IRL civilian skills to survive in DF makes for a fun RP as well :D In the original thread we were lucky to have a few people with bachelor housemaking skills (cooking, etc) and one professional engineer/chemist raised by a crazy survivalist Korean war vet.

I could always come play in here too, if invited. :D

My mele weapon of choice is still the lightsaber whip/scourge though. I used to make and play with such things as a kid. (In addition to the scary explosives funtime.)

Just bear in mind that ny personality can cause severe irritation in others.  :P

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2013, 08:25:47 pm »

You're in the last thread, though. You'd have to think of some non-forumite character to represent yourself.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2013, 08:27:48 pm »

Probably list yourself as Novice Architect, then. I don't know how to represent the minor little skill from the 'scouts in terms of DF, but even two years would give you something invaluable in a situation like this.

Everyone, look over the DF skill list and think of anything you have any experience whatsoever in, and list it. You might be surprised at the knowledge you all have between you. I'm certain none of us (barring a few notable exceptions) are Bear Grylls or former Navy Seals, but I'm sure you all have at least some knowledge about something.

ninja'd 2x, including by myself. WTF?

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 08:31:56 pm »

I'm really good at math, science, and learning. Although I've made my fair share of items from wood, due to a family upholstery business. Also a decent shot with archery, and dissecting(and cared for) many different animals
(Above average Learner, Novice Organizer, Novice Carpenter, Novice Surgeon, Adequete Animal Trainer)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013, 08:36:05 pm »

Give the crossbow to someone else- I want to be an unskilled laborer.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2013, 08:55:43 pm »

I'll be the hunter, then.
Although I'd like to try to get my guy some skill in punching and kicking, it's all right for just hunting right now.
So hunter, but with unarmed skills.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2013, 08:57:29 pm »

I program computers, so what's the DF equivilant of that?
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2013, 08:59:23 pm »

I had ran out of embark points, so everyone is an unskilled laborer, unless someone can point me to a tool that can modify skills, I'm a little stuck.   :-\
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2013, 09:01:06 pm »

2 years in scouts?

Assuming your troupe wasn't coopted by the severe cranio-rectumitus of the one I endured, and actually, you know, wasn't more than just a glorified indoctrination/daycare center, then you *should* have the following skills:

Novice knife user
*can make fires*
*possible Novice hatchet/axe user. (Nevermind that scouts don't usually use axes, just hatchets.)
Novice knot tier
Novice rope maker
*possible novice archer
Novice scout (map reading and compass use is 1st year, iirc.)
*novice swimmer

Most other things are in the more "advanced" badge categories that require too many prerequisites to have in just 2 years.

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2013, 09:04:45 pm »

I suppose I should re-join. I sort of got hit with a modding mood and cheesecake & Jbg going way overboard so I sort of trailed of... mini project is in refining/polishing stage that seems like slow as molasses so it should be cool. I would like to be dorfed as a migrant... Lets go through RL skills that might be appliccable...

Proficient cook
Skilled fisher,
Adequate fish cleaner
Novice Herbalist
Adequate Swimmer
Proficient student
Novice Wound Dresser (my sisters are klutzes)
Adequate Gazer? (based on painting skill and similar techniques used between the two)

So yeah, any of those in any combination would work.
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2013, 09:05:58 pm »

I suppose I should re-join. I sort of got hit with a modding mood and cheesecake & Jbg going way overboard so I sort of trailed of... mini project is in refining/polishing stage that seems like slow as molasses so it should be cool. I would like to be dorfed as a migrant... Lets go through RL skills that might be appliccable...

Proficient cook
Skilled fisher,
Adequate fish cleaner
Novice Herbalist
Adequate Swimmer
Proficient student
Novice Wound Dresser (my sisters are klutzes)
Adequate Gazer? (based on painting skill and similar techniques used between the two)

So yeah, any of those in any combination would work.

Actually, you are already in the game.  I still need that utility to get these skills in...
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2013, 09:09:12 pm »

:o Oh ok, excellent.
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2013, 09:14:28 pm »

I program computers, so what's the DF equivilant of that?

You don't have any 'other' skills? The logical thinking that structured logic and programming (assuming you are any good, which I will give the benefit of the doubt on...) gives will help you deal with complex problems of other sorts, assuming you build the requisite skills underneath.

Many "bushcraft" skills can be self-learned just the same way that programming can be, if you are sufficiently motivated.  You might see if your city library's periodicals section has the old Foxfire periodicals in its catalog, and if it has Ashley's Book of Knots in the reference section.  Between them, you should at least be exposed to a great wealth of bushcraft topics, and practical learning experiences. Foxfire is old, and out of print as far as I know, but put a great wealth of very useful knowledge down on paper in the form of practical learning and how-to exercises. Definately worth a look.

If you have the time and resources, a cosmopolitan run through the crafts books in the reference sections of your library is a very rewarding experience.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6