Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall (Parallel Universe)  (Read 12759 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall (Parallel Universe)
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2013, 09:15:34 pm »

I suppose I should re-join. I sort of got hit with a modding mood and cheesecake & Jbg going way overboard so I sort of trailed of... mini project is in refining/polishing stage that seems like slow as molasses so it should be cool. I would like to be dorfed as a migrant... Lets go through RL skills that might be appliccable...

Proficient cook
Skilled fisher,
Adequate fish cleaner
Novice Herbalist
Adequate Swimmer
Proficient student
Novice Wound Dresser (my sisters are klutzes)
Adequate Gazer? (based on painting skill and similar techniques used between the two)

So yeah, any of those in any combination would work.

Actually, you are already in the game.  I still need that utility to get these skills in...

DFhack. Embark skill points are irrelevant. Just wait for everyone to list their skills, hack to embark with a large number of forumites, then hack all their skills to desired levels.

As for computer skills, well, I'm afraid that won't be of use until someone builds a computer. Which would take a looooong time, though it did (sort of) happen in the original thread. I remember us placing indestructible adamantine television sets blasting our recordings of overly cutesy and inane meme songs in the HFS.

EDIT: And use DFusion section of Dfhack to set the number of people embarking. Assume everyone stays human unless otherwise stated.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 09:17:15 pm by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2013, 09:16:43 pm »

I program computers, so what's the DF equivilant of that?

You don't have any 'other' skills? The logical thinking that structured logic and programming (assuming you are any good, which I will give the benefit of the doubt on...) gives will help you deal with complex problems of other sorts, assuming you build the requisite skills underneath.

Many "bushcraft" skills can be self-learned just the same way that programming can be, if you are sufficiently motivated.  You might see if your city library's periodicals section has the old Foxfire periodicals in its catalog, and if it has Ashley's Book of Knots in the reference section.  Between them, you should at least be exposed to a great wealth of bushcraft topics, and practical learning experiences. Foxfire is old, and out of print as far as I know, but put a great wealth of very useful knowledge down on paper in the form of practical learning and how-to exercises. Definately worth a look.

If you have the time and resources, a cosmopolitan run through the crafts books in the reference sections of your library is a very rewarding experience.

I live in a small town in the middle of the woods. We don't have a library. Chadds Ford isn't exactly...bustling.
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2013, 09:22:01 pm »

I program computers, so what's the DF equivilant of that?

You don't have any 'other' skills? The logical thinking that structured logic and programming (assuming you are any good, which I will give the benefit of the doubt on...) gives will help you deal with complex problems of other sorts, assuming you build the requisite skills underneath.

Many "bushcraft" skills can be self-learned just the same way that programming can be, if you are sufficiently motivated.  You might see if your city library's periodicals section has the old Foxfire periodicals in its catalog, and if it has Ashley's Book of Knots in the reference section.  Between them, you should at least be exposed to a great wealth of bushcraft topics, and practical learning experiences. Foxfire is old, and out of print as far as I know, but put a great wealth of very useful knowledge down on paper in the form of practical learning and how-to exercises. Definately worth a look.

If you have the time and resources, a cosmopolitan run through the crafts books in the reference sections of your library is a very rewarding experience.

I live in a small town in the middle of the woods. We don't have a library. Chadds Ford isn't exactly...bustling.

Unfortunate...

Well, there's always the less above-board methods.... Pirate Bay has a wide selection of etexts.  I would check to see if Gutenburg has the foxfire series in the austrailian archives. (Australia has shorter copyright terms than the US, and has more recent publications in the public domain. For everything else, there's piracy.)

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2013, 09:28:07 pm »

There's a collection of articles in wikipedia that might be useful under Doomsday preppers or prepper for short...
http://thehomesteadsurvival.com/ seems useful at a glance.
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2013, 09:40:39 pm »

2 years in scouts?

Assuming your troupe wasn't coopted by the severe cranio-rectumitus of the one I endured, and actually, you know, wasn't more than just a glorified indoctrination/daycare center, then you *should* have the following skills:

Novice knife user
*can make fires*
*possible Novice hatchet/axe user. (Nevermind that scouts don't usually use axes, just hatchets.)
Novice knot tier
Novice rope maker
*possible novice archer
Novice scout (map reading and compass use is 1st year, iirc.)
*novice swimmer

Most other things are in the more "advanced" badge categories that require too many prerequisites to have in just 2 years.

None of the above! At least not at a level truly past untrained.
Seriously. None of those. Save swimming. I'm a good swimmer.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2013, 09:43:50 pm »

Ahh, so your scout troupe was every bit as worthless as the one I got subjected to!

LOL!

(Sounds like you could use the same periodicals and other reading material I suggested to The Master. Check your local library, and don't be afraid to play with stuff.)

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2013, 10:06:10 pm »

I'm a miner?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2013, 12:17:57 am »

Don't need much training to be a digger. Sure, chipping ore might require skill, and you'd dig more efficiently with more practice, but just hacking away dirt and rock is brute force. It's the kind of work anyone not crippled could do, just digging.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2013, 12:49:52 am »

Oooh, I'd love to join. Do I type in my real-life equivalent in Dwarf skills, and hope for the best?
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2013, 01:11:04 am »

Basically. It's an RP as if you were suddenly actually sucked into the game. Most likely you will band together to survive, building shelter and establishing a fort of sorts.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2013, 01:14:32 am »

Basically. It's an RP as if you were suddenly actually sucked into the game. Most likely you will band together to survive, building shelter and establishing a fort of sorts.
Or have your mind broken and run off gibbering.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2013, 01:22:17 am »

Wait so give me mechanics, then. It's the closest thing I can think of to Computer Sciences :p I'm just Adequate, but I can probably learn the finer bits of dwarfputing pretty quickly.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2013, 01:23:45 am »

If only we could get someone as skilled as Wierd joykill in this round. That, or a native dwarf. Who's slightly crazy. Basically, the first thing you'd see when you arrive:

"LET'S GET DOWN TO BUSINESS!
To construct a fort!
Someone sent me humans
When I asked for Dwarves!
You're the saddest bunch I've ever met,
and you can bet before we're through
Somehow I will make Dwarves
Out of yooooou!

*Montage begins*

Solid as a boulder
And magma within"

Xantalos: Can't stand inclement weather,
and fueled by gin!

*slaps*"You're a sloppy, pale, pathetic lot
And you haven't got a clue!
Somehow I will make Dwarves
Out of yoooou!"

(6 of you fill in your lines!)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 01:30:29 am by HugoLuman »

Inithis

• Bay Watcher
  • The Riftborn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2013, 06:54:51 am »

(Pre-emptive combo breaker!)

...Would it be possible to use mods and such in the fort?
He immediately begins to beavergoat the man quite thoroughly! At the very beginning, the man is mystified by James' actions, but his face quickly becomes a mask of horror when the procedure starts!

"OH GODS WHY? WHYYY?"

After a twenty minute session, the man is left white as a sheet, hairless and completely and utterly dead. James congratulates himself on a job well done!

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2013, 06:55:38 am »

can i be an elf?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6