Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A blind city  (Read 7578 times)

Slayermaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A blind city
« on: April 09, 2013, 04:52:27 pm »

So, having recently embarked in an evil biome, I started getting this weird vile sludge, all my dwarves got bruised EVERYWHERE, leaked puss perpetually, and vomited until they just got over it. But I noticed after a month or so of working (outdoor fortress), that everyone was blind.

Uhm. Will this cause problems with a 100% blind population?

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A blind city
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 04:55:59 pm »

Yes.

Slayermaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 04:57:20 pm »

Yes.
Dear god, what will befall my people?

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 05:03:15 pm »

Yes.
Dear god, what will befall my people?

The will a) Not run away from danger
and b) Not ever hit anything

Traps. Build traps. And hide inside, dig deeper.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 05:09:57 pm »

they will man siege engines far more heroically though (won't flee), and siege engines aren't aimed by eyes...

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 05:13:40 pm »

Blindness is a blessing my good man! No longer will your dwarves be afraid of danger!

Sure they can't fight, but this allows to manipulate your dwarves in manners that normal dwarves would cower in fear at!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Slayermaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 05:22:01 pm »

Hm. Suppose I shall restrict the seven blind steel plate arm and armored knights to administration.

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 06:59:13 pm »

Weaponizing the environment starts early with this one.  ;D But yeah, there are many forumites that have been trying to figure out how best to blind dwarves. You might try to have a couple perma indoor dwarves for marksmen, if you want that sort of thing.

EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 07:10:44 pm »

In the fortress of the blind the one-eyed dwarf is king.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 08:55:41 pm »

I remember seeing a thread a while ago about how a legendary craftsdwarf (I think it was a stonecrafter) was blinded and totally ceased making any decent quality products...

So it helps in some ways, and hurts in others.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 09:09:41 pm »

You can still have blind soldiers. Martial trances completely undo the effects of blindness and sufficiently skilled Dwarves will still be able to fight well, just not legendarily.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 09:57:57 pm »

It's a blessing and a curse, although a bit more of a curse on military dwarves.  Civillians won't run away now, though, but this might be bad.
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 12:27:27 pm »

A werebeast soldier would heal from this monthly. If you can make a full army of were-ocelots or whatever, then they will un-blind themselves monthly.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 06:24:02 pm »

A werebeast soldier would heal from this monthly. If you can make a full army of were-ocelots or whatever, then they will un-blind themselves monthly.

just make sure to lock them up in a place they can't get to the rest of your fortress at the same time...

or, you know, make sure your whole fortress are were-ocelots. that works, too.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 06:28:20 pm »

just make sure to lock them up in a place they can't get to the rest of your fortress at the same time...

or, you know, make sure your whole fortress are were-ocelots. that works, too.
Will werebeasts attack each other? If not, then that's a great idea. Either way, you still need someone to work the ballistae.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?
Pages: [1] 2