Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: (Strange Adventures in) Infinite Space Series - The original spaceship roguelike  (Read 2420 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

While not FTL, if you liked FTL and the genre, these games are probably worth a try. Especially since, with the release of the new game Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space, the original, Strange Adventures In Infinite Space is now completely free! (Okay, actually, it's been completely free since 2009, apparently)

With a variety of items, races, events and opportunities, there's quite a bit to discover and figure out in this game, though it will probably occur over dozens of play sessions.

Explore the galaxy... in 20 minutes or less!

But as a better question, has anyone played Weird Worlds? I've seen it for sale on Steam, and it seems fun, but I'd like to know if it's worth the paid upgrade from good old SAiIS.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 02:11:22 pm by GlyphGryph »

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
Re: Infinite Space - The original spaceship roguelike
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 01:51:04 am »

Infinite Space isn't really a roguelike so much as a regular RPG except spaceships. It's not exactly a coffee-break game like a lot of roguelikes - a single fight could take 15 minutes, there's lots of cutscenes etc.

That thing you linked is not Infinite Space - different name, different game. : )

EDIT: in other words, this is recommendation of a title change, in part because the first two pages of a quick google for "Infinite Space" are, bar one, reviews and stuff for the DS game.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 01:53:38 am by Baneling »
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 05:21:47 am »

are SAIIS is a greet quick game i have played many a time

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 09:52:13 am »

I called it Infinite Space, because that's the name of the series.

Strange Adventures in Infinite Space, Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space, and now Infinite Space 3: Sea of Stars

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Wait, wait. Didn't this go freeware a quite a while ago?

*checks* Yeesssss. 2009. No wonder I was feeling confused :-\

Just finding out about it now, eh?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Does anyone know how to get this to run windowed? DxWnd doesn't like it when I tried, but I may just be using the wrong settings.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wait, wait. Didn't this go freeware a quite a while ago?

*checks* Yeesssss. 2009. No wonder I was feeling confused :-\

Just finding out about it now, eh?

Well last time I posted about it was longer than that ago. And what I'm really hoping for is if someone has played Weird Worlds and thinks it's worth purchasing.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Does anyone know how to get this to run windowed? DxWnd doesn't like it when I tried, but I may just be using the wrong settings.
Try here, maybe. Isf seems to be this joint.

And what I'm really hoping for is if someone has played Weird Worlds and thinks it's worth purchasing.
That in the OP would have made me a lot less confused than it being worded like it had just gone free :P

Messing with peoples' memories like that, for shame. I joke, I joke. Mostly.

Weird worlds seems like a nice overall upgrade from SAiIS, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.