Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: You are a Satellite  (Read 15750 times)

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Satellite
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2013, 01:17:10 pm »

Okay, well perhaps it's time we sort out our priorities.

We have system damage, but it seems, that most of it can't be fixed without a repair drone, which we lack the materials for. If we don't want to drop a rover down on the power hub and see what's shaking there. I suggest we turn to the moons and perhaps nearby asteroids and scan for useful materials that we can use to fix our systems, notably our network so we can communicate with Virix. Hopefully our vessel can refine raw materials collected by rovers.

barring the ability to hide as a moon (admittedly difficult, but if it had worked it would have helped immensely), I would go with this plan. Better to get ourselves back to full operational capacity before we run any risks.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2013, 02:10:21 pm »

Scan moons, planet, any nearby asteroids for useful quantities of materials necessary for production of parts and drones.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2013, 02:14:10 pm »

Hmm... just out of curiosity...

Calculate approximate time it would take to convert a medium to large sized moon (in the current planetary system) into a structure where we can store our core personality if we intend to stay for an extended period of time, and whether or not it could be done without drawing attention.
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2013, 02:51:49 pm »

>Calibrate asteroid diversion/destruction lasers for optimal mining capability
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2013, 03:29:15 pm »

>Calibrate asteroid diversion/destruction lasers for optimal mining capability

+1 We should probably collect materials.  Hiding as the moon probably won't work. 

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2013, 06:05:05 pm »

Commands given:
Scan
Mining
Consideration
Calibration
Reordering commands into logical format.
>Calculate approximate time it would take to convert a medium to large sized moon (in the current planetary system) into a structure where we can store our core personality if we intend to stay for an extended period of time, and whether or not it could be done without drawing attention.
Background process initiated.
>Calibrate.AstLasers, Mining
Lasers readjusted accordingly.
>Scan.LocalSpace
Scanning..................ok
Highest quality concentration: Moon Secondus.
Most likely unnoticed concetration: Asteroids.
Highest Quantity: Planet.
Mining Command Queued, pending priority target.

Current active processes: 1:(Calculate base, stealth optional)
Current active systems: none. Power is being left unused.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2013, 06:15:52 pm »

Hmm... we should attempt to mine the least likely to be noticed first, and at least get ourselves mostly operational.

Begin mining asteroids for resources, prioritizing those that will allow for full repair of core systems, and then rearmament of our critically ill-equipped weapons systems.

If the stupid apes savages natives decide to attack us, we'll need the weapons systems online, but not as much as we need our main systems to work.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2013, 06:46:06 pm »

Put asteroid conversion priority on Moon Secondus.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2013, 06:50:44 pm »

(For reference, the BEFRIEND Cannons are similar to this scaled up to spacecraft armament, and then scaled down slightly to fit on the armed scoutcraft. :) )
>Target:Asteroids
Target accepted, clearing queue.

Sometime later...
Physical Self-Diagnostic Results:
Physical damage repaired. Outer Hull spotless, shields running to prevent peasant micrometeors from ruining shiny fancy look.
Primary Harddrive requires specialty minerals to fully repair, craft cannot suppy sufficient power to transform asteroid material into necessary specialty components. Harddrive taken offline temporarily, Secondary drive succeeds it. Tertiary drive remains stable.
Secondary drive damage minimal, left in favor of not effecting current data. Tertiary drive fully undamaged.

Armory process report:
Cartridges: Enough.
Ammo: 88 shots at standard power. 66 shots at Threat Tri. 44 shots at Threat Duo. 22 shots at Threat Omega. If necessary, also enough ammo for 4 Alpha Strike level attacks, but that level threatens the structural integrity of the scoutship and will require full replacement of power conduits throughout craft after all four blasts, or replacement proportionate to blasts fired if not all four.

>Priority: Moon Secondus
Priority logged for further resources if needed.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2013, 06:53:18 pm »

Good, good!

our glorious self has been repaired!

... ohshi. Idea.

Would it be possible to create a communication link to our home system?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2013, 06:55:31 pm »

Networking system activated. Insert Passcode to reaquire connection to Virixian Scouting Network Database.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2013, 06:56:36 pm »

I... wouldn't suppose that would be in our recoverable secondary storage?, or hardwired anywhere? (Technically tertiary secondary storage, but who gives a crap)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2013, 06:57:20 pm »

(If we still had the (full) passcode, would I have said that? ;) )
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2013, 06:58:14 pm »

... Shit. *sighs*

Of the passcode, how much can we remember, how long is the passcode, and what are the possible permutations that the passcode could be?

EDIT: Also, is there any contingency in our directives that would cover this contingency?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2013, 07:03:00 pm »

We could say something along the lines of:

"This is ARMEDSCOUT_002, at Quadrant 1, Sector Tau, System Alpha-Quasar-Apple, Non-Gas giant #2. Moderate memory corruption suffered. Please advise."

In the hopes that there is something sentient which can respond to us on the other end of the connection.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12