Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Why can't i brew wine?  (Read 3096 times)

Fantersam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why can't i brew wine?
« on: April 10, 2013, 12:30:15 pm »

This is my first fortress. Currently, I read through the wiki DF guide.
I farm plump helmets, I have a brewer, I have a still and I have barrels.
But I haven't figured out how to brew yet.
I gave the still the tasks to brew a drink but nobody does it. It stays in the tasks list from the building and I get no warning that something is missing.

Edit: Just found the modify button

further on nobody is taking care of farming anymore. The labour is selected for 2 dwarfs, i selected the plump helmets for all seasons.
Im running out of seeds. Cooking is toggled of atm.
Also nobody is fishing. I have the labour selected and the waterzone marked for fishing but still nobody is fishing. My manager even assigned the task to catch fish.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 12:39:39 pm by Fantersam »

Fantersam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why can't i brew wine?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 12:37:58 pm »

Delete this post please.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 12:39:54 pm by Fantersam »

tj333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 01:27:48 pm »

Does anyone have the brewing enabled? And if they have it enabled what else are they doing? It sounds like no one is going to do the job because they do not have it enabled, can't reach the sill, or are busy somewhere else.

Do you have any seeds to plant with? If you are out of seeds (because the plump helmets are not being brewed and turned into drink and seeds.) then there is nothing for the farmers to do.

On the water zone marked for fishing, does it give you a number after fishing or is it (0)? If it is zero that means that water cannot be used for fishing. You should not have to assign anything from the manager, a dwarf with fishing enabled will just head to the nearest fish source and fish. Make sure you have a fishery and a fish cleaner who is not the fisher to clean the fish after they are caught so you can eat them.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 01:45:22 pm »

I gave the still the tasks to brew a drink but nobody does it. It stays in the tasks list from the building and I get no warning that something is missing.

All of your dwarves with brewing enabled are busy doing something else?  For almost any other reason, it would fail and you get the message. 

Other than like, you built the brewery somewhere and then removed the stairs so it became inaccessible, but of course we can't tell that from here :)

Fantersam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 01:54:32 pm »

I think i found out what the problem was. When i press z and then go to the kitchen tabs, I cant toggle brewing for Plump helmet spawns. Why does that happen?`
What can I do?
I run out of seeds too. They all get used for cooking I think. I have a farm but I still think it doesn't produce anything.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 02:00:17 pm »

>> I cant toggle brewing for Plump helmet spawns. Why does that happen?`

Because you can't brew seeds.
"spawns" are seeds.  The brewable part of the plant is just a "Plump helmet."
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 02:02:27 pm by smakemupagus »

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 02:06:00 pm »

^^ Yep. Make sure "plump helmets" are available for brewing, and not for cooking. "Plump helmet spawn" are the seeds.

Also, if you're relatively low on food, your dwarves may be eating the plump helmets before you can brew them. If this were the case, though, you'd probably be getting an error message when a brewer tried to use them.

Fantersam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 02:09:14 pm »

I searched for the error message and once a brewer said that no item is available for distillation. I dont have plump helmets, only the seeds. the amout of seeds drastically reduces. I think somethings not working on my farm

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 02:13:41 pm »

Nothing comes to mind that would cause the farm to malfunction.  Are you sure you've waited ~a month for the crops to grow?  If you select the farm with the 't' cursor is it full of seeds?

The only possible idea I have is if your farm straddles tiles on both sides of the edge of an un-farmable biome like mountain or glacier, maybe it could mess things up.  If it was fully in the unfarmable land it wouldn't let you put seeds there in the first place.

>> I run out of seeds too. They all get used for cooking I think.

Well, I guess if you enabled cooking on the seeds and then cooked them all, that could explain it.  So... don't do that next time!  Cooking seeds should be off by default.  If you're really out of plants and seeds you can still bootstrap a farm industry by gathering plants.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 02:17:26 pm by smakemupagus »

Fantersam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 02:23:46 pm »

When i select the farm with the t cursor it only says Plump helmet Spawns one time with a [ B ] followed after.

I only got 17 left.

And I still cant use any plump helmets for brewing because I only got the seeds.

Edit:
I begin to think that I have never gotten any full grown plump helmets.
Im so confused right now.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 02:26:18 pm by Fantersam »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 02:25:53 pm »

Sounds like someone is eating all your plump helmets. Do you have other things to eat? You might wanna get some dwarves gathering plants to get something to brew before they all get eaten, and ensure that you have plump helmets set to be planted.
This is a blank sig.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 02:29:12 pm »

please forgive the really basic question, but your farm is bigger than 1x1 tile, right?

Fantersam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 02:35:46 pm »

Yes they are the only thing to eat.
But don't they eat the seeds, too?

Yes it is.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 02:43:47 pm »

No, they don't eat the seeds (possible exception is rock nuts i think), and they don't cook the seeds unless you tell them to.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 02:46:06 pm »

Are you cooking the plump helmets themselves? I believe that destroys the spawn, so you don't get any back to grow more with.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: [1] 2 3