Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarves starve with food and drinks right next to them - Hunt for small creatur  (Read 1976 times)

Fantersam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

130 food stores.
I can't see the medical window.
Man this sucks ):

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile

I'm able to download it. You just have to click the download for nonpremium user button.
Besides the premium user download button.
Please dont give up
After disabling my pop-up blocker I tried again and got a "make an account" message for the site. Since this is precisely the type of site I'd prefer not to give my e-mail too, I think I'll pass unless you want to try again.

Also another note on food, but just because something is of the "food" type does not make it edible. IIRC masterwork has several plants that aren't necessarily edible raw, so you may need to do some checking to see if your dwarves can actually eat anything you have.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

Even if it's all edible (and some of it could be for example, inedible raw fish) 130 is a pretty marginal supply of food.  As other already said, you want to get that number up. 

Let's imagine it's stored in 10 barrels and about 15 dwarves are hungry at a time.  Only 10 will actually be able to eat and the other 5 will be unable, and at least be tempted to hunt vermin.  -- ok that was probably inaccurate, oops

So, your guys are starving because you don't have enough food.  How can you get more food.

Stop playing with Harder Farming enabled until you are more experienced.
Bring egg layers next time.
Gather Plants from the surface. <- this can fix a starving fort fast
Fish and be sure to build a fishery.  <- this can fix a starving fort fast
Later, add a hunter and be sure to add a butcher (I say later because you need to make sure he has access to a crossbow, quiver, and hundreds of bolts).

For long term: 
Get enough farm plots (0.5-1 square of farmland per dwarf for regular DF is plenty; 4 squares per dwarf for MDF-Harder Farming)
Set up a renewable ranch or poultry farm

It's probably not a bug, it just takes a little practice.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 03:33:17 pm by smakemupagus »

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile

I'm at work, so I can't help directly. Here are some things to check.

Do you HAVE FOOD? I have had issues where I simply didnt check my food stocks with [Z]. If you are eating it as it comes in, you will have a few dwarves eating while the others starve. If you don't have in the hundreds of food, this is the problem.

Is anything forbidden? You can check this with [D][C]. I have accidentally forbidden barrels of food before. If you are seeing a lot of green, this is the problem.

Check their medical screens with [Z]->[MEDICAL] See if youve got some kind of weird syndrome goin on.

You've checked burrows, and there's no obstruction. The only other thing I can think of is a bug. Masterwork is a finely-crafted thing, but it's still a mod.

Hint, your [B] looks like a bold tag. Try writing [[i][/i]B] instead.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Even if it's all edible 130 is a pretty marginal supply of food.  Let's imagine it's stored in 10 barrels and about 15 dwarves are hungry at a time.  Only 10 will actually be able to eat and the other 5 will be unable, and at least be tempted to hunt vermin.  As other already said, you want to get that number up.
I think you are confusing food and drink. ???
Alcohol is limited by the number of barrels it is stored in so that only one dwarf may drink from a barrel at a time.
Food, on the other hand, is removed from barrels before eating, meaning that the number of barrels has no effect on the number of dwarves that may eat at once.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

Yep, probably right.  Sooo disregard that point :)

In that case I am a little at a lost why so much vermin eating -- my best remaining guess being inedible plant components, or inedible raw fish.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile

The way to check exactly what that food stockpile contains is to assign a bookkeeper. He will give you access to the stocks screen, where you can see how much of your stuff is actually edible.

Also, 130 food is NOT enough for both food and drink purposes. You will use that up in a split second as soon as you try to brew.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Check what food you have.  Any plants except the following can't be eaten raw:
Plump Helmet, Muck Root, Bloated Tuber, Prickle Berry, Wild Strawberry, Rat Weed, Fisher Berry, or Sun Berry

Some items, like Valley Herbs, Flour, Sugar, or Syrup can't be eaten and need to be cooked in to meals first.
Likewise, Raw Fish can't be eaten - they need to be processes into Fish first.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

Check what food you have.  Any plants except the following can't be eaten raw:
Plump Helmet, Muck Root, Bloated Tuber, Prickle Berry, Wild Strawberry, Rat Weed, Fisher Berry, or Sun Berry
Sure about these? I'm not.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They all have [EDIBLE_RAW] in plant_standard.txt

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile

I had this problem in 2010 version; it might still be around in 2012 version:

Examine a few of the food items and see if the description indicates that it's been claimed by another dwarf. If you've assigned miners, woodcutters, or hunters into your military, their equipment selections for work will conflict with the one for military, and they'll start claiming food without picking it up, leaving that food useless and inaccessible to the other dwarfs.

If you do have that problem, figure out who the guilty parties are and either disable the job or remove them from the military; this will prevent them from claiming/hoarding more food.

For what's already been claimed, DF Hack has the "cleanowned" utility which removes ownership tags.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

They all have [EDIBLE_RAW] in plant_standard.txt
Then they are probably edible.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you do have that problem, figure out who the guilty parties are and either disable the job or remove them from the military; this will prevent them from claiming/hoarding more food.
Or alternatively you can just disable your squads from carrying food (which is a good thing to do anyways, since if they carry food they don't get the legendary dining room happiness bonus; with drinks it doesn't matter either way though).

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After fiddling with noscript, cookies, and ABP to get to the download screen, then creating an account because even the non-premium download requires an account (at least it didn't require I confirm my email, which was totally fake), I get:

Sorry, the file link that you requested is not valid.
Reasons for this may include:

Invalid link
    The file has been deleted because it was violating our Terms of user

Just use DFFD.

Edit: Well, I was nice and tried it again and it worked this time. I guess it was just another cookie issue.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 05:39:27 am by Niveras »

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Your issue:

You have 129 food stores. This is different from actual - edible - food, because it includes seeds and drinks.

Of actual edible food you... have none at all. You have 11 raw chub. Raw fish isn't edible, it needs to be processed in a fishery. You have a fishery pending but it isn't built yet - I haven't looked closely at labors but it's probably because fisherdwarves are prioritizing fishing. Disable the specific fishing labor (but leave fish cleaning) or enable fish cleaning on some other dwarves and they will eventually build the fishery and clean the fish (baring complications from other factors, like the barrels holding the raw fish being held by a different dwarf who's going to pick up a raw fish item elsewhere).

I suggest building a butcher and butchering your horses. Most of your dwarves are hunting for vermin so it might take a while; if you're using DwarfTherapist, enable butchery in all your dwarves so that whoever's fed for a brief moment will get around to building the workshop and slaughtering the horse. This will give you a bunch of meat, giblets, some bones and fat. Meat and various giblets can be eaten without further processing (there should be a nice stampede to the butcher's when that first horse is killed), and fat can be cooked at a kitchen into tallow and the tallow can then be processed into food (via prepare meal at a kitchen).
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 06:04:31 am by Niveras »
Pages: 1 [2]