Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Why can't i brew wine?  (Read 3090 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Why can't i brew wine?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 02:59:54 pm »

True Fact. Make sure they aren't cooking them. How big is your fort? I usually have an absurd excess of  farmers (like 30), just to make sure there is always planting going on.

Also, if there is nothing else to eat I believe that dwarves WILL eat seeds.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Fantersam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2013, 10:12:26 am »

So in my new fortress everything seems to work better. I produce plump helmets now.
But I'm confused.
I know I should use the plump helmets for brewing. But what should I use to make them meals with? what should I get them to eat?
And to brew something I have to have "brew a drink" set to a repeated task in the still right?
also with meals in the kitchen?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013, 10:17:13 am »

Dwarves can eat plump helmets and lots of other things raw, without using the kitchen to make meals. In fact, they should eat plump helmets raw, because you get seeds back from that. Cooking plump helmets and other crops (turning them into meals) destroys the seeds.

To prevent certain things from being used in cooking, go to the Z menu, select Cooking, and make sure that things like plump helmets do not have a C next to them.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 10:41:49 am »

I know I should use the plump helmets for brewing. But what should I use to make them meals with? what should I get them to eat?
And to brew something I have to have "brew a drink" set to a repeated task in the still right?
also with meals in the kitchen?

First let me say that if you actually figure this game out without using a tutorial, you are way more dwarfy than the rest of us.
Now to your question: what to cook? 

You can cook plump helmets if you want.  Other plants like cave wheat, sweet pods, quarry bushes need to be processed or milled before they're edible, and some (pig tails, dimple cups) are totally inedible.  So stick to plump helmets or above-ground berry crops until you figure out the agricultural supply chain.

Typically, most of my cooking is based on meat.  At the rate my forts grow, there's always a surplus of meat.  This begins when I slaughter the two pack animals that pulled my wagon.  Then each batch of migrants will bring a few more useless animals.  And my cats and dogs will reproduce like mad.  Within the first year I tend to have a good supply of wild meat, too, both as a result of training my military on wild animals and as a result of building bridges over the rivers and putting cage traps on the bridges.  Build a butcher shop, and a tanner shop next to it to tan the hides before they rot.  Hit (z) then (enter) to get  to your animals interface.  Choose the pack animals and order them (b)utchered.  The butchery and tanning will happen automatically.  Make sure you have a refuse stockpile outside the fort so that the dwarfs can dispose of waste material before it rots.

Yes, you can go to the kitchen and queue up "Cook Easy Meal" jobs on repeat.  Easy meals take 2 ingredients, Fine meals take 3, Lavish meals take 4.

Soon you may want to appoint a manager to make it easier to queue up work.  Make a table and chair, then (b)uild them in a corner or small room somewhere.  With (q) move the cursor to the chair, make it a "throne room or study", and assign the chair to someone without a lot of responsibility.  Then type (n) for your "nobles/administrators" display.  Give that dwarf the job of "manager".  Back to the main interface, you can see the manager's queue by hitting (u) and (m).  Then (q) to order new jobs, type part of the order, e.g. "meal" and select the order and the number of times you want it done.  If you have the manager queue up 30 "cook easy meal" jobs, he'll go find the kitchen and make sure it happens.  Unlike when you order it yourself, the manager's jobs won't be cancelled and forgotten if there's no ingredients.  He'll keep on trying until the cook makes something.

(By the way, you may also want to give that dwarf the job of "bookkeeper".  It's very time consuming so this should be somebody without other important jobs.  After making him bookkeeper, hit (s) for settings and set his counts to "most accurate".  This will allow you to see exactly what you have in your stockpiles at all times.)

Fantersam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2013, 11:24:02 am »

Oh the most parts I figure out by tutorial actually. And I already have a office and so on :)

Still have problems.
They always tend to hunt vermin for food or something.
I have over 100 food supplies. Why are they doing that? (the stats are accurate)
And how many plots are enough for 20 dwarfs?

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 11:40:08 am »

It depends on how good your planters are.

Dwarves consume 2 food and 1 drink per season.
Plump Helmets have 3 harvests per season.

So, with dabbling farmers planting, you'd need 1 plot per dwarf.
Higher skilled farmers can get more than 1 plant per plot though, up to 5 IIRC, so with a legendary planter you _could_ get by with 4 plots, though more is recommended.
It's better to produce too much food than too little - if you have too much, just produce lavish meals for happy thoughts or to trade.

Fantersam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2013, 11:48:53 am »

They produce the meals with the grown plants right?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2013, 11:55:31 am »

Not unless you don't want seeds. Turning plants into meals destroys the seeds so you can't grow more food.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Fantersam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2013, 11:57:05 am »

I want them to use the seeds for brewing but they also should get meals. What can I do? Fishing?

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2013, 11:59:41 am »

Oh the most parts I figure out by tutorial actually. And I already have a office and so on :)

Still have problems.
I have over 100 food supplies. Why are they doing that? (the stats are accurate)

If they're hunting vermin it's because they can't reach any other food.  The only time I've seen this happen is when I accidentally removed some up-stairs or up-ramps and trapped a few dwarves on a level where they couldn't get back up to the food stockpile.

One 3x3 plot of plump helmets should be more than enough for 20 dwarves, especially if your planter has a bit of skill.  The next plot I would add is an above-ground plot of some kind of berries.  You should have the seeds if you've been gathering surface plants. The best way to do this safely is to channel out a 3x3 area of the surface, build the plot on the soil layer below (it's now deemed "above ground") and then build a floor on the surface.  The 3x3 area of the soil layer will still think it's above ground, but it will be completely safe now.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2013, 12:02:43 pm »

Still have problems.

Quick question: do you actually have a food stockpile?  Is there empty space in it?  Do you have any empty pots or barrels?  The only other thing I can think of is maybe there's a problem storing the food.  Maybe some dwarf is carrying the one barrel back and forth somewhere, preventing the others from accessing it.  Stranger things have happened.

Fantersam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2013, 12:10:29 pm »

Yes I have food stockpiles. More than enough.
3x3 seems not to be enough. I have more than 3x3 and
I never have Plump helmets left.
Only the seeds. I use masterworks btw.
I seem to do everything right but It seems buggy.
No there are accesible barrels with food in it in their reach. All the other dwarves reach the food. There is no problem with stairs or something.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2013, 12:48:01 pm »

Have you used burrows, or forbidden a door, that would keep the dwarves from accessing the food?
My suggestion is to find one of these starving dwarves, use (v) and then (f)ollow him for a while, to see if he's confined into an area that he should be able to get out of.

Fantersam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2013, 12:56:00 pm »

How can I forbid a door? What are burrows?

Yes I already did that. They are able to get anywhere they want.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2013, 01:09:29 pm »

I use masterworks btw.

Masterwork DF mod makes farming much harder by default (which like most things in that mod can be toggled on or off, but you didn't say, or seem to know whether you did this).  You need ~6 to 8 times more farmland and much more time between harvests.  Most of what you were told in this thread assumed you were playing regular DF.
Pages: 1 [2] 3