Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: You are cursed. You feel terrible!  (Read 15243 times)

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are cursed. You feel terrible!
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2013, 02:19:36 pm »

That's true. It helps that mummies are destroyed if they leave their pyramids.

what

I... did not know that.

In actuality they are not destroyed, but they don't stay in the tomb complex either. They will instead turn up in a lair or something elsewhere in the world.
They just up and end up somewhere else between steps? Is there any way to influence where?
I found a human city named Sleevevirgins. It was easily the biggest city in the world, so clearly I wasn't the first person to come inside the city's walls.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2013, 04:20:27 pm »

Given that a Mummy's curse is supposed to kill you... I guess its harshness isn't so bad.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2013, 10:30:40 pm »

what

I... did not know that.

In actuality they are not destroyed, but they don't stay in the tomb complex either. They will instead turn up in a lair or something elsewhere in the world.
They just up and end up somewhere else between steps? Is there any way to influence where?
Not between steps, but when the area is offloaded they will no longer be there when you return. I have no idea if there's a way to influence where they show up directly. Some people have found them in lairs, and there was at least one mummy in the "museum item adventure quest" succession game that showed up in an abandoned fort and a nearby city.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2013, 06:01:08 am »

what

I... did not know that.

Not between steps, but when the area is offloaded they will no longer be there when you return.
Whenever a mummy's followed an adventurer of mine, it's blinked out of sight just a couple of steps outside the pyramid entrance. One second they're there, the next, gone, even if they've joined me as companions. Is that the pyramid interior offloading the moment you leave it?
I found a human city named Sleevevirgins. It was easily the biggest city in the world, so clearly I wasn't the first person to come inside the city's walls.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2013, 02:32:03 am »

I don't think so. I haven't had issues with mummies vanishing while they were within sight of me, but they will run off to attack wildlife if they spot any. Never, actually, have I seen any NPC up and vanish for no apparent reason. They usually have the courtesy to walk off or otherwise wait for me to offload the area.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2013, 08:59:09 pm »

I also seem to remember mummies vanishing into thin air when they leave their tombs.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2013, 06:00:34 pm »

*necro*

well this is a sad way to end my first adventurer :(

I went up a flight of stairs (which there is no way of looking up?) and got insta gibbed with this curse by a mummy, even though I defeated him in glorious battle I'm now stuck with a trolled character... hopefully this is different in the new version.

Urist MacNoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Indrick Boreale, Adventurus Astartes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2013, 07:15:17 am »

You can just mod out or replace the mummies with more fair versions.
Where is the Fun in that.
In making even more powerful but also more fair enemies?
Still void. Mummies are weak things. Without their curses they are powerless.
Conventional combat does not work with them. Indeed the best bet is to flee.
This is good.

What of the six hundred undead minions that completely surround their tomb, and the fact that they can't die save by decapitation and bisection?

I mean, I guess I could break everything in it's body and leave it lying there, but it would crawl after me. One day it would catch up, probably while I was asleep, and it would nudge my head, bruising the brain.
Coldmonkey: "The idea that having flaming tools and introducing them to the intimate workings of someone you don't get along with is much too human for these forums. I mean, it's not really that hard, is it? Anyone can wield a torch, it doesn't prove anything. Wearing flaming clothes on the other hand, or better yet, wearing nothing at all and being on fire... that is the essence of dwarfish behavior."

Deinos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2013, 11:10:25 pm »

Try amassing an army of mummy debuffers and watch the resulting bloodshed.

When I read the syndrome, it looked like they can ONLY target the one that triggered their disturbance. Am I misreading it?

It looks like so long as you're not the one who awakened the mummy, you're safe.

Someone mentioned they found a mummified demon, is there a way to do that or was he using an obscure combo of mods?

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2013, 07:48:41 am »

Does werebeast transformation cure it?
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2013, 11:50:53 am »

Does werebeast transformation cure it?

Best guess is no. Though I don't think it's ever been tried.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2013, 05:00:47 pm »

Transformation cannot cure any syndrome. Otherwise, the syndrome that enabled the transformation would be lost the first time the creature transformed. Which, needless to say, is bad.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2013, 03:08:18 am »

You can trick the companion to disturb the mummy and the that poor guy will get the curse.

Mummies are really one of the scariest thing in DF right now. I can swear they break all the laws of physic. They... they are already everywhere I try to go.

I was sneaking with my two companions. I found a tomb and wnet inside. My companions were butchered by the mummy (I was sneaking nearby and the mummy didn't saw me). I took my turn to leave, and when I exited the room, the mummy stood in front of me.

I went back to the mummy's chamber and found a stairs. I saw how the mummy kept appearing in my small field of vision - I didn't had been spotted yet, even the zombies just stood silently. I managed to climb some stairs upwards, and there it was. The mummy was already there. I tried some other ways, but the mummy kept coming after me. I didn't ever saw it actually moving, just appearing into my field of vision when I moved. It could have moved very fast outside my field of vision and get always there before me, so it seemed like teleportin, but I doubt it. Mummies aren't that fast.

At this point I had completely forgotten all the sweet loot I could get, and just tried to get out of that hellhole alive. I get caught in a weapon trap, which sent me down into ground. I crawled forwards and noticed once again a dead end. When I turned back, the mummy finally spotted me and killed me.

Damn scary. I've encountered similar behavior with catacombs mummies, too.

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2013, 01:39:41 pm »

You can trick the companion to disturb the mummy and the that poor guy will get the curse.

Mummies are really one of the scariest thing in DF right now. I can swear they break all the laws of physic. They... they are already everywhere I try to go.

I was sneaking with my two companions. I found a tomb and wnet inside. My companions were butchered by the mummy (I was sneaking nearby and the mummy didn't saw me). I took my turn to leave, and when I exited the room, the mummy stood in front of me.

I went back to the mummy's chamber and found a stairs. I saw how the mummy kept appearing in my small field of vision - I didn't had been spotted yet, even the zombies just stood silently. I managed to climb some stairs upwards, and there it was. The mummy was already there. I tried some other ways, but the mummy kept coming after me. I didn't ever saw it actually moving, just appearing into my field of vision when I moved. It could have moved very fast outside my field of vision and get always there before me, so it seemed like teleportin, but I doubt it. Mummies aren't that fast.

At this point I had completely forgotten all the sweet loot I could get, and just tried to get out of that hellhole alive. I get caught in a weapon trap, which sent me down into ground. I crawled forwards and noticed once again a dead end. When I turned back, the mummy finally spotted me and killed me.

Damn scary. I've encountered similar behavior with catacombs mummies, too.

Wow, that's terrifying. I've only dived into a tomb once, and that was as a member of the non-living. It was weird seeing the mummy hurl battle cries and then do nothing against me, but that's peanuts compared to your story.
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2013, 03:18:16 pm »

Maybe this is a solution: Throw a rock at the sacarprycus, hurrily go to sneak, the mummy comes out, and one shot it. Simple. If that doesn't work just get Xhagi's mod the fix it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5