Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: You are cursed. You feel terrible!  (Read 15245 times)

Adventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are cursed. You feel terrible!
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2013, 02:13:01 am »

You can trick the companion to disturb the mummy and the that poor guy will get the curse.

Mummies are really one of the scariest thing in DF right now. I can swear they break all the laws of physic. They... they are already everywhere I try to go.

I was sneaking with my two companions. I found a tomb and wnet inside. My companions were butchered by the mummy (I was sneaking nearby and the mummy didn't saw me). I took my turn to leave, and when I exited the room, the mummy stood in front of me.

I went back to the mummy's chamber and found a stairs. I saw how the mummy kept appearing in my small field of vision - I didn't had been spotted yet, even the zombies just stood silently. I managed to climb some stairs upwards, and there it was. The mummy was already there. I tried some other ways, but the mummy kept coming after me. I didn't ever saw it actually moving, just appearing into my field of vision when I moved. It could have moved very fast outside my field of vision and get always there before me, so it seemed like teleportin, but I doubt it. Mummies aren't that fast.

At this point I had completely forgotten all the sweet loot I could get, and just tried to get out of that hellhole alive. I get caught in a weapon trap, which sent me down into ground. I crawled forwards and noticed once again a dead end. When I turned back, the mummy finally spotted me and killed me.

Damn scary. I've encountered similar behavior with catacombs mummies, too.

that was a pretty scary read, i can feel the terror rising with every turn tick

Nidilap

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh boy a Swooooord!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2013, 10:36:00 am »

The only time I've encountered a Mummy was when I had a Vampire Human Lasher. He did not want to talk to me. So I killed him in one hit. Took his loot, and left. No Curse.
Nidilap likes Adamantine, Bituminous Coal, Garnets, Cats for their aloofness, Dwarves for their stupidity, and Swords for their Spikes and edges. When possible, he prefers to eat pizza, ramen noodles, and sushi. He absolutely detests elves and spiders. He needs MTN DEW to get through the working day.

A medium- sized creature prone to great ambition, but only when he feels like it.

RandAnima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2018, 09:27:27 pm »

Wow. I only read up on this curse after my dragonfly man, Lor, had lived with it for weeks. I noticed failing at everything more often. I even got wounded pretty badly where I hadn't before. Nothing permanent, luckily. He went on to kill sasquatches, bandits, and many a large beast before I retired him. Knowing how severely he was being penalized during those weeks makes him seem all the more badass.

adamkad1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2018, 07:48:08 am »

You can just magic the curse out with gmeditor. Or if you dont wanna feel like a cheat as much, make a item or interaction that can heal it but penalizes you somehow

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2018, 07:59:26 am »

Alternatively you can accept the consequences of raiding an old tomb and adapt to it in game? Yeah that sucks but losing a leg also does and it's a probability when you're fighting stuff

What happened to Fun?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2018, 08:10:57 am »

The curses aren't very fun and are pretty BS.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2018, 10:48:27 am »

TBH, I don't see it that way. You can do a multitude of things to avoid a mummy curse. You can sneak in and out, pelting the mummy with missile weapons in stealth. You can run up to it full speed and hope to kill it before it can strike you down. You can bring an army in and let THEM take the curse rather than you. Or you could just avoid the site until you get a mixture of the above.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2018, 10:56:15 am »

Yeah, mummy curse is a feature of the game, like is dragon fire or tiredness due to armor. You deal with them however you want, or don't and die. It's not a bug, it's a feature so you shouldn't hack through it, and indeed, you have the option of avoiding the curse entierely by not looting that poor mummy in the first place

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2018, 12:42:01 pm »

Does raiding one cause fort dwarves to be cursed?

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2018, 03:43:25 pm »

Does raiding one cause fort dwarves to be cursed?

Huh. I never thought of this. Someone should test this for !!SCIENCE!!.

adamkad1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2018, 06:40:15 pm »

Yeah, mummy curse is a feature of the game, like is dragon fire or tiredness due to armor. You deal with them however you want, or don't and die. It's not a bug, it's a feature so you shouldn't hack through it, and indeed, you have the option of avoiding the curse entierely by not looting that poor mummy in the first place
Or making some poor sob take it instead because not looting that bastard is just impossible

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2018, 04:58:11 am »

Kinda wonder what kind of loot is in a tomb that is worth waking a curse giving mummy that couldn't also be found anywhere else?
my guess is necromancers get free corpses to raise and a potential chance to test their reanimation skills on raising the dead faster than the dead can rise on their own.
like mummies aren't evil warlords or grand powerful beings that got lock away, they are just average normal peasants or folks of historical value that got lucky enough to be buried with great honor of a giant building. then some random adventurer raids their spot for free items, like knowing about the curse one could just find ways to convince the mummy to join you through being part of the same civ as they were, being undead, getting someone else to break the lock of the site(?), having a modded resurrection spell that resurrection folks than reanimates and hitting the corpse before they rise and gain necromancy.
Though Dfhacking the curse off seem like a solution though with all that power one could just bodyswap into the mummy and play around as an undead curse slinging force of undead nature.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2018, 02:45:23 am »

Another fun thing about mummies is that tombs are not the only place you'd find them. They can also be in the catacombs beneath temples in towns - atleast a few times while I was chatting with locals near a temple, there'd suddenly be sounds of fighting, and eventually zombies and the mummy itself would pour out of the underground - merchants would either flee or get to fighting.
From what I could tell in the aftermath, a criminal would disturb the mummy while wandering around, and after they were dead, the mummy and its zombie minions would immediately head to the surface for some reason.

I use modded mummy types as well - pretty fun to occasionally get a Jason Voorhees-style revenant that doesn't have any special abilities but hits really hard and takes a lot of punishment before going down, or a large mummy guardian that doesnt use weapons but still raises zombies and has a more random but short-term curse.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2018, 09:22:18 pm »

Huh, you would have thought they would have mentioned this all on the wiki.  Thanks for the answers, guys.

The adventure mode section of the wiki has been woefully neglected lately.

EDIT:
Okay guys, i updated the adventure mode article with a couple new FAQ's including info about how the curse works, your welcome. Seriously, i feel like only me and like 3 other df players actually actively update that article heh.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Adventurer_mode

(and the world activation article also needs to be updated :P, which i created ages ago, it needs a section about how artifacts work in terms of world activation and a section for spies, and NPC adventurers which also actively go on quests while you play now linking in case anyone wants to partake in this quest http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:World_activities)
EDIT2: I added the new section to world activities, its still needs alot more but its a start.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 09:58:30 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Mort Stroodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2018, 10:00:40 am »

The problem with mummy curses is that they're so entirely debilitating that the idea of ever entering a tomb is completely ridiculous. With no impressive loot and an overwhelming curse there's no reason whatsoever to enter. And that means less explorable content in the game. In order for the mummy curse to not be a really dumb mechanic you'd need for the loot to be so good that it's worth risking turning your warrior into a retired hillocks bonecarver, who critically fails at making rings 20% of the time. There should be like, a really high chance of an artifact ending up in tombs. Makes enough sense, ancient kings burying themselves with their treasures seems in the spirit of things.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5