Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28

Author Topic: 'Papers, Please' (A Dystopian Document Thriller)  (Read 51371 times)

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 'Papers, Please' (A Dystopian Document Thriller)
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 12:55:00 pm »

Ah, thanks!

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 12:56:21 pm »

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 02:46:00 pm »

Interesting game, soul-crushing as it may be.

I fully expected the guy with the hilariously false papers to come with completely legit papers one day, just to fuck with you.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 03:32:56 pm »

Interesting game, soul-crushing as it may be.

I fully expected the guy with the hilariously false papers to come with completely legit papers one day, just to fuck with you.
I have a feeling that every time he gets the new requirement it will be outdated.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 03:41:08 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Played the beta a few times, it has a really stron "cart life" feel to it, love it.
On the other hand i really dislike the fact that you get "achivements" of sorts by doing good deeds, destroys the atmosphere.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2013, 04:01:08 pm »

I am way too paranoid for this game. First I accidentally let someone with a bad expiration date through, then I turn away the next two and they're fine (even though one had an expiration date that I thought was two years in the future, and the other had the wrong country marked on the inside).
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2013, 04:03:50 pm »

I am way too paranoid for this game. First I accidentally let someone with a bad expiration date through, then I turn away the next two and they're fine (even though one had an expiration date that I thought was two years in the future, and the other had the wrong country marked on the inside).

Wait. What's wrong with the expiration date being in the future? It would be wrong if it were in the PAST. And for the country, maybe it was the East/West city, wossisname?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2013, 04:08:09 pm »

Wait. What's wrong with the expiration date being in the future? It would be wrong if it were in the PAST.
....I don't feel very smart right now.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2013, 05:41:58 pm »

Okay. Can someone give me a guide on what to do? I managed to summon someone to the desk, but what do I do then?
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2013, 06:06:48 pm »

I kinda feel like it's contradictory sometimes.
One person's passport I notice has a gender contradictory to what visuals would suggest. I ask about that, and they insist they're what's on the passpost (which wasn't impossible, really). I get scolded for letting them through.
Some guy says he's on a different purpose visit than what's on his paper. I ask him about it and he backs out of his first call. I get scolded for NOT letting him through.
Make up your mind, game. Do I trust their questionable corrections or not?

Also, the date on the stamp is always the 23rd. I seriously couldn't remember the date the first time I played and just kept thinking there's a static date because of that. And no, I did not notice the date blatantly there on the bottom left at first. :\

Fun game and great idea overall, though.

Okay. Can someone give me a guide on what to do? I managed to summon someone to the desk, but what do I do then?
Pull the passport to the right part of the screen and then either accept or deny using the stamp you pull out using a button on the far right. Read the paper you get at the start for further instructions. Until you call in the first person, the game is indefinitely paused.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2013, 06:07:01 pm »

Drag their passport onto your desk, on the right. Then click the arrow on the right to bring out your "approve" and "deny" stamps. Stamp it and hand it back to the person by dragging it over them. Deny it if the expiration date, picture, sex etc. is wrong.

Incidentally, I had a citizen not give me a passport, so I couldn't approve or deny him and had to quit. I think it's because I closed the gate just at the wrong time (he said "OK, here goes!" and I freaked, like a true communist lackey).

Edit: Sure enough, the same guy on day 3 doesn't give me a passport. Not sure what to do, I think I tried clicking everything.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 06:13:35 pm by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2013, 06:14:33 pm »

Open up the rulebook, point at the rule that says that you must have a passport, click on desk.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2013, 06:16:15 pm »

Drag their passport onto your desk, on the right. Then click the arrow on the right to bring out your "approve" and "deny" stamps. Stamp it and hand it back to the person by dragging it over them. Deny it if the expiration date, picture, sex etc. is wrong.

Incidentally, I had a citizen not give me a passport, so I couldn't approve or deny him and had to quit. I think it's because I closed the gate just at the wrong time (he said "OK, here goes!" and I freaked, like a true communist lackey).

Edit: Sure enough, the same guy on day 3 doesn't give me a passport. Not sure what to do, I think I tried clicking everything.

Your problem was answered above when someone else asked the same thing. "Use inspection mode, highlight the law requiring passports, then highlight the table." The law is in the rulebook, so you have to open it, then click on the inspect button, click on the rule about needing passport or other doc and then on the empty window on the left where they give you documents.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2013, 06:21:20 pm »

Generally, you want the law book open on your desk, for 2 things :
1) City where the passport has been delivered (it happens after ~5 days I think).
2) A law : search the Kebolian (or something like that, do'nt remember their names), need a ticked, a work permit, etc.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2013, 06:29:02 pm »

Didn't have the city thing, but I had to check the stamps. Great game overall, I really like how they manage to tell stories only through the passage (like the butchered prostitutes). Made me feel like an arsehole I couple of time too.

If they lie about their gender, you need to scan them to look at their genitals.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28