Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28

Author Topic: Dom3 Round 12: Game has started  (Read 28871 times)

Waterplouf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Presenting Dom3 Round 12: No longer accepting people
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2013, 05:59:07 am »

Thanks for your answers karlito and Gman.
I think I am going to go with ( EDIT:LA C'tis, after some reading I think Patala isn't really for me ) then, even if I have no experience with blood nation. For the map I am more inclined for a bigger one like Realm of Roaring Rhinos or Riverlands, just because I have the feeling I am going to be roflstomp just like in the round 11 on a smaller map.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 06:50:26 am by Waterplouf »

MentalFather

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't panic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2013, 07:29:12 am »

If none else takes it, I'll play Ry'leh, as we talked about before, being underwater and left alone suits my passive playstyle : )

If anyone calls ry'leh, I'll give it up, no worries.

Dammit! I really hate Ryleh, they are like a pain in butt (especially LA). So I would prefer not to have a Ryleh, but ïf we have it I will have to deal with it.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2013, 10:00:16 am »

Yeah I'll probably be trying to terminate any Ryleh or Ermor players in the LA as well.

Atlantis may not start in the water but they can build underwater castles and recruit nationals there.  Maybe that would be a better nation to pick if you don't want people coming after you to end your dominions effects.

Disclaimer:  I've heard some people don't like LA Atlantis because its only good mages are in the Capital.  That problem would probably have minimal effect early game and could be somewhat negated later on by proper planning for summons.  They have good death mages and water mages so at the very least you could summon tartarians, mound fiends and Hidden in Snow.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 10:09:09 am by gman8181 »
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2013, 10:16:44 am »

Various threads have motivated me to consider other nations.

Waterplouf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2013, 10:23:24 am »

Yeah I'll probably be trying to terminate any Ryleh or Ermor players in the LA as well.

Atlantis may not start in the water but they can build underwater castles and recruit nationals there.  Maybe that would be a better nation to pick if you don't want people coming after you to end your dominions effects.

Disclaimer:  I've heard some people don't like LA Atlantis because its only good mages are in the Capital.  That problem would probably have minimal effect early game and could be somewhat negated later on by proper planning for summons.  They have good death mages and water mages so at the very least you could summon tartarians, mound fiends and Hidden in Snow.

I Think we already have an atlantis player ( MentalFather ) no ?

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2013, 10:45:31 am »

My bad, I'm incredibly unobservant.  Uh I guess the only other nation with somewhat easier access to the water would be Agartha because they have a bunch of fully amphibious death summons that are pretty easy to research to.  It's not a horrible nation but the few times I've played around with them, I always feel like they have a horrendous early game.  Later on they're pretty good and the Awaken Tomb Oracles are really rather nice thugs: Invulnerability, soul vortex and maybe a nature bless.  If this wasn't CBM you could even get into blood, make some blood stones and throw them on the Oracles so they can run in and summon earth elementals without having to visit labs.

Looks like no one has taken Utgard yet.  They're pretty good if you're willing to get into blood magic.  Lots of frost devils and decent werewolf/skretti mage commanders.  Not as powerful as their predecessor giant nations but compared to a lot of the other LA nations not a bad pick at all.
Sure thing peanut man!

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2013, 03:19:05 pm »

Wow, this thread got pretty active when I wasn't around. Is there anything I need to do?
?
Also, are we using CBM 1.94 or CBM 1.94 Complete (the one with the other mods included)?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 03:32:21 pm by moghopper »

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2013, 04:07:35 pm »

Whats added to the complete one? As it is the plan was CBM1.94 so default to that.

Edit: Okay this is what the game seems to be shaping up to be:

MAP: ?
ERA: Late Age
MOD: CBM 1.94
Time Allowance: 48 hours
GRAPHS: Off
HALL OF FAME: 15
RENAME: On

PLAYERS:
Akhier the Dragon hearted - Tien Chi
moghopper - Marignon
ThtblovesDF - Pangaea
puntocom - ?
gman8181 - Ulm
MentalFather - Atlantis
Karlito - Mictlan
Endymion - Arcoscephale
Waterplouf - C'tis
Duuvian - Bogarus

If anything is wrong or your nation is undecided speak up at some point before we figure the map out. If you don't I will assume what your down for is good. Also 10 player map where we don't have a player starting in water as apparently people don't want to be dog piled for playing R'lyeh.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 05:31:05 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2013, 04:42:56 pm »

Just want to mention, I'm still a proponent of the "Dog-piling R'lyeh just on principle is silly" school of thought. Anyone interested should check out the conversation we had about that in the Round 9 thread. Awfully hard to dogpile R'lyeh anyway, with them being under the ocean and whatnot.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: So map selection. There's plenty of good options, even quite a few with preset starting locations (which are really better). I guess it just comes down to how many provinces per player we want. Anything in the 10-30 range is available.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 04:49:38 pm by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2013, 05:09:00 pm »

Alright if someone plays as Ryleh, I will instead play as Ermor and then from there we can let everyone formulate their own individual ideas of how powerful or fun these nations are when in the game.

I wasn't just jumping on the anti Ryleh train because of what I've heard.  I was saying that because I genuinely find that the insanity I have to deal with playing as or against them irritates me.  I like using fairly organized armies and often employ communions.  This is all much harder to do when the odds of successfully giving orders to the necessary commanders is incredibly low.

Ermor is slightly less annoying in my opinion but sloshing through thousands of undead just to acquire mostly dead land is a pain.  Sure you'll probably get a bunch of death sites but overall the gains are far slimmer than if you were to fight another nation.
Sure thing peanut man!

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2013, 05:24:17 pm »

You know what solves both those problems? Temple spam. Just slam temples in every bit of land you can then spam out priests. The temples keep your land clear of enemy Dom while the priests let you banish any fear of undead spam because nothing says fun like having 2 pages of priests. I will say that this is partly in jest though it is technically my method of dealing with the AI in such situations, or in other words when I don't have to care about the opponent actually being smart about it.
   As for a map something of decent size should work but really I don't mind the size as long as I am not stuck within a couple plots of an opponent. Also wraparound seems to be the desired type so take that into account. I've been looking at maps but I don't really have an eye for what would be fun yet as my default setup against AI is just choose large rand and be done with it so I think I will let others pick the map.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2013, 05:26:58 pm »

CBM complete contains:

"Endgame Diversity Mod (EDM), Underwater Gameplay Improvement Mod (UWGIM), Worthy Heroes (WH), Sprite Upgrade 4.0 and portions of a number of other mods."

I'm guessing we're using vanilla cbm.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2013, 05:27:51 pm »

Slap down Pangaea again for me, I didn't have the time to playtest a lot of nations this weekend and if I play jormon, I'll get crushed by the early rushers...

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2013, 05:33:58 pm »

Pangaea it is then. With that only puntocom hasn't posted a nation so I will fire off a PM and we will see whats what. I do think I will say no R'lyeh though as it makes it easier to decide on a map if we can just know there isn't an underwater nation.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2013, 05:42:55 pm »

Priest armies can be killed by a creative Ermor player.  Mages are more limited so instead of a bunch of mages, probably just one throwing down a big death battlefield spell.  Maybe use those death golems which are great for Ermor.  Innate banefire shields, can't be banished, give them those trampling boots, bone armor and weapon for killing larger enemies.  Pairs of three should be very effective and quite doable with a decent death income.

I also sometimes do a nature bless which works well with those sacred wights.  Helps against banishment spam, so they're great for killing armies with priests and breaking through castles.  The nature magic can then later be used to cast gift of health so you can spam tartarians.

Oh and don't forget they get low research access to a weaker version of wraiths.  Send in a group of 1-3 to take out most independents and a larger group to take out poorly prepared enemy armies.  If they die, it doesn't matter because they are immortal.
Sure thing peanut man!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28