Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: LCS goes to the Movies! [1.0.2]  (Read 11071 times)

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LCS goes to the Movies! [1.0.1]
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2013, 04:33:22 pm »

Also, umm, I specifically mentioned the g++ compiler (part of GCC) because it's the de facto C++ compiler for Linux and it's regularly used on the Mac too, from what I can tell. And in many cases it's better than other top-tier compilers (I just found this on the programming subreddit, still no idea about this C++ business). So if I may respectfully suggest, you should probably investigate what's wrong with movies.cpp. A debugger may help (again the GCC has a tool called GDB, and Visual Studio has one too though I'm not familiar with that).
I'd really like to help you, but I can't seem to replicate the problem. The compiler I'm using is GCC.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Re: LCS goes to the Movies! [1.0.1]
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2013, 12:01:40 am »

Also, umm, I specifically mentioned the g++ compiler (part of GCC) because it's the de facto C++ compiler for Linux and it's regularly used on the Mac too, from what I can tell. And in many cases it's better than other top-tier compilers (I just found this on the programming subreddit, still no idea about this C++ business). So if I may respectfully suggest, you should probably investigate what's wrong with movies.cpp. A debugger may help (again the GCC has a tool called GDB, and Visual Studio has one too though I'm not familiar with that).
I'd really like to help you, but I can't seem to replicate the problem. The compiler I'm using is GCC.

I'm guessing the problem is that the Makefile.am in the /src directory needs to have the new file added to it in order to be visible to the compiler by default.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LCS goes to the Movies! [1.0.2]
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2013, 03:06:23 am »

Version 1.0.2 has been released, a mostly balancing update. The following has changed:
-The Conservative influence has been reduced slightly.
-Movies are more likely to reflect current opinion.
-Tweaking the script has been strengthened a bit.
-Movie funds have been reduced greatly, to avoid unbalancing amounts of money being available
-A few spelling and grammar mistakes have been fixed.

Saves are compatible with the previous version, though the first movie after switching to this version will be far more powerful than it should be.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2013, 11:33:34 am »

Sorry for the necro, but could you re-upload the files elsewhere, like mediafire? It seems that dropcanvas has a download limit.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2013, 12:57:13 am »

Files can be downloaded at http://www.mediafire.com/?hxf6stwsyqgvb1c,mafe9v80ypbuawo
OP has also been updated.

Note that recent content done on the national LCS is not included, and balance is skewed to make the movie industry extremely important.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2014, 12:02:59 am »

Shameless necroposting bump - is the creator of this mod still around? I find it an intriguing idea, and, with permission, would like to consider including some of its concepts (and possibly some code) into my mod. :)

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2014, 10:59:42 am »

Yep, I'm still around, and I'm happy for you to cannibalize this mod as much as possible.

most of what I did is in src/monthly/movies.cpp.

The mod as it exists has a large focus on the movies - it's pretty much impossible to win without having a hand in the movie industry, and if you're active in the movies you can get away with no other activism. To balance it, I'd suggest decreasing the power of the movies significantly. Similarly, the movie funding makes it possible to get lots of money very early - the total amount to steal each month is between 20000 and 25000. You may want to reduce that as well.

This was produced before the multi-city update, so I have no idea how to interact with that.

If you have any questions on the code, feel free to post here or PM me.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2014, 02:21:20 pm »

Thanks!

I'm not sure when I'll get to it (I've got a number of other things on my plate first), but I'm thinking it would be cool to have some kind of media outlet (and have the media become more and more real the more extreme the laws are).

With your code, it seems to me the simplest thing to do is just reduce the monthly budget of each movie by a factor of four. That would both reduce their importance to the game as well as the amount of stealable money...

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2014, 05:57:35 pm »

Thanks!

I'm not sure when I'll get to it (I've got a number of other things on my plate first), but I'm thinking it would be cool to have some kind of media outlet (and have the media become more and more real the more extreme the laws are).

With your code, it seems to me the simplest thing to do is just reduce the monthly budget of each movie by a factor of four. That would both reduce their importance to the game as well as the amount of stealable money...
Reducing the budget would decrease the influence of the movies, but since the movie message depends on the power, the triggers for the different messages would have to be changed accordingly.

Sleepers in the movie industry are also very powerful - you would likely want to decrease the chance of a sleeper being picked for a movie (the current chance is their infiltration %).

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2014, 11:05:40 am »

Thanks for the heads-ups! :)
Pages: 1 [2]