Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 100

Author Topic: Toon Mafia VII - But I Don't Want To Re:Love! [Game Over]  (Read 163803 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Toon Mafia VII - But I Don't Want To Re:Love! [Day 1]
« Reply #300 on: May 31, 2013, 06:16:16 pm »

Leaf:  No.  When I say inconsistency, I meant in the sense of someone not sticking to their story.  Either explaining an action different ways when asked again, or their actions (voting/night claims) not matching up to their arguments and discussions.

Hypocrisy means attacking someone over doing something that the attacker is doing as well.
Makes sense.

"Um, the most valid I think would be a direct confession of guilt, right? After that I'd guess lying, although it's sometimes a good idea to lie for a short time to trick bullies or whatever so long as you own up to it right afterwards. right?"
I guess.  And which tell do find least valid?

#[NQT] stares down at a book while saying to no one in particular, "Bullies like to fit in: the only truly valid tell is a smoking gun. That said, looking at the past votes of bullies who have been expelled may prove enlightening. I don't think we should put too much stock in the things people say on their first day back at school, but what they actually do has meaning."
Seems consistent with your attitude in other games.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Can you not at least name one specific bad tell?

Most valid: bandwagoning, Least valid: lurking?
Cool

Most? Probably inconsistency like Toaster said, but there's really no single tell that stands out that stands out and says: "They're scum" immediately. Least would be bandwagoning, as the current meta stands.
Makes sense.

"When people are too assertive that they lack any sort of lead or that they seem to wish to undermine the other on loose facts as well as appealing to the general notion. The latter differs, but you can..err, feel the difference. I dunno how to explain that contextually, but I'm not seeing that much right now."

Ford needs to explain himself as he seems to be waiting on time more than hunting scummies.

"As for least valid, that'd be voting another person out because of the heck of it..of which I'm seeing many people do, for some reason. Now I'm guessing it'd either be the tension or that people are loving the situation we're in. That's dumb, because we still have scummies here and taking advantage of this carefreeness is one thing I'm watching out for.-

"Oh right, least valid. Err, that. It mostly depends on the context for me.."
I accept your least valid tell, but I don't think attempts to undermine others is a very good one.  Aggressive, sometimes to the point of invalid attacks are something I expect more from town if anything (assuming the mafia isn't really desperate for a lynch).

Avoiding calling a player scum despite voting with intent to lynch.

OMGUS.
Good answers.

The most valid tell is a bona fide slip, when someone clearly demonstrates knowledge not known to the players at large, or when they have been caught in a baldfaced lie.

All tells have to be taken in context, and any of them can be invalidated if a person provides good reasoning. The least valid "tell" in my opinion is the OMGUS, but I don't even consider that to be a tell (laziness would be the tell, in most cases), and the term has shifted from "voting someone purely because they voted you" to "voting someone who voted for you first", which is perfectly normal.
Fair enough.

How about you?
Favourite tell: commenting on the validity of a case against someone while specifically avoiding talking about the person themselves.

Least favourite: "flailing", ie getting panicked, angry or illogical when driven into a corner.  It is basically never a valid tell (there was a statistical analysis that suggested the person who accuses someone of it is usually mafia though).

Leafsnail: What was the purpose of this question?
Two purposes:
1. To lock scum out of using tells they regard as invalid later in the game.

2. To improve the standard of scumhunting in this game, by allowing people to see which tells go to the bottom of everybody's list.  Also if someone lists something stupid at the top of the list I can tell them they are wrong.

Ranger: I don't see that as jumping the gun. Claiming when you were in danger of being lynched was the smart thing to do.
That's an ongoing game, it shouldn't be talked about outside of its thread.

Shinigami_King

• Bay Watcher
  • My flavor text tastes like apples!
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 31, 2013, 07:18:26 pm »

Wow so few questions directed at me. I was worried that I was going to get swarmed with this many people.

I hope you guys are okay if I group my questions because I have little time and there are a lot of us.

Vecooster, Grifionday, leafsnail and ford.- What in your opinion is the most valuable information received from RVS.
Toaster, Tiruin, Daruish and Zombie Urist- How do you think the roleplaying is going to affect this game? Do you expect people to use it as cover.
PotL, Ranger, DeathSword and NTQ- Who here do you know from meta game? Could you try to describe their play style.
Lenglon, Solifuge and nerjin- Do you use any unique scumhunting techniques? Would you care to say what techniques you use?

Senpai, senpai!
You're so pretty~~~ Can I touch your hair?

You like my hair?
YEAH! Didn't you hear I like redheads~
And then Shinigami_King and Mitsuru Kirijo walked off into the sunset!
"When the first living thing existed, I was there waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights and lock the universe behind me when I leave"
"Death is not a hunter unbeknownst to its prey. One is always aware that it lies in wait. Though life is merely a journey to the grave, it must not be undertaken without hope. Only then will a traveler's story live on, cherished by those who bid him farewell."

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 31, 2013, 08:05:02 pm »

(Toonyman: ...Props for using Vecooster!)

"Shinigami-san, I do not know enough about everyones methods to answer that."
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 31, 2013, 08:13:17 pm »

"Um, the most valid I think would be a direct confession of guilt, right? After that I'd guess lying, although it's sometimes a good idea to lie for a short time to trick bullies or whatever so long as you own up to it right afterwards. right?"
I guess.  And which tell do find least valid?
"Uh, that's a lot harder. I'm not sure what all the things people would call tells are. I mean, if we're going off that handout the school gave everyone,"
"then I'd have to say that it's Omug... Oh Em Gee You Ess-ing. but I think that list is incomplete somehow."

Lenglon, Solifuge and nerjin- Do you use any unique scumhunting techniques? Would you care to say what techniques you use?
"I tend to use fairly open and normal tactics most of the time. the only time I'd use something unique would be when we're nearing the endgame, or if I have information that isn't public, and even then it would have to be customized to the situation."
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 31, 2013, 08:25:19 pm »

#[NQT] bows respectfully to senior student Leafsnail-san and new entrant Shinigami Heika

NTQ- Who here do you know from meta game? Could you try to describe their play style.
"Shinigami Heika, is it true you are a King? If so, I will forgive you for getting my student identifier number wrong. You do not know me yet but I have been at this school for a term or so. Perhaps I might be so bold as to introduce you to some of the other students? They mostly ignore me but I have observed them a little.

Broadly speaking, we have the moody students that hide their true feelings behind tsunderous clamour. These are Dariush-yōgisha and sometimes even Vector-sama!

Then there are nice and friendly students (but you never know what they might secretly be thinking), like Grifionday-san, Tiruin-sama, and Solifuge-chan.

Then there's the smart students that sometimes snap and storm out of class, like Ford-san and Nerjin-san (they take their grades very seriously though!).

Then there are quiet students like Zombie Urist-san who pretend to be the strong silent type when they don't have anything better to say (or is that Toaster-san I'm thinking of? To be honest, I get the two confused after the failed Revolution).

Then there's super enthusiastic new students like Ranger-kun, and students I don't know very well like Phantom-san and ones I don't know at all like Lenglon-kun.

And as for me? Leafsnail-san (who is always guilty) has the truth of it. I look more at deeds than words."
I don't think we should put too much stock in the things people say on their first day back at school, but what they actually do has meaning."
Seems consistent with your attitude in other games.

"NQT-san, how likely do you think it is that we will find a bully today?"
"Unfortunately, I don't think it very likely Ranger-kun. The odds are against it even before we take into account the bullies rigging the votes. I think though that we have the heart to succeed!"

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 31, 2013, 08:34:06 pm »

(you didn't read what you quoted?)

Okay, so your problem is that I was being a jerk to Tiruin by bugging him about his nightmares.

Uh, why? Tiruin isn't a newcomer, he can handle me poking and prodding him about whatever he brings up.

Wow so few questions directed at me. I was worried that I was going to get swarmed with this many people.

Is this something you're happy about?

Vecooster, Grifionday, leafsnail and ford.- What in your opinion is the most valuable information received from RVS.

Ha! This guy.

There's no valuable information in the RVS. This is almost definitional; if somebody slips up and gets crap for it, then that's the moment the RVS ends.

Whatever causes the RVS to end is the most valuable thing that comes from it.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 31, 2013, 10:05:43 pm »

(you didn't read what you quoted?)

Okay, so your problem is that I was being a jerk to Tiruin by bugging him about his nightmares.

Uh, why? Tiruin isn't a newcomer, he can handle me poking and prodding him about whatever he brings up.
"Because being a jerk is being a jerk. it's not that complicated. It would be different if you had a chance of finding something out, but that was just being mean for the sake of being mean. don't do that."
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Shinigami_King

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 31, 2013, 10:26:30 pm »

Jim- Yes I am happy. I like answering questions I just don't like being swarmed as I'm sure anyone would agree. Also, I feel like other things can be learned from RVS but your point is valid.
"When the first living thing existed, I was there waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights and lock the universe behind me when I leave"
"Death is not a hunter unbeknownst to its prey. One is always aware that it lies in wait. Though life is merely a journey to the grave, it must not be undertaken without hope. Only then will a traveler's story live on, cherished by those who bid him farewell."

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 31, 2013, 10:44:24 pm »

So, are you just going to spend all day introducing yourself to people and hope they get nosebleeds from the encounter, or are you going to start looking for bullies?

"Bullies?  What bullies?"

*15 minutes being filled in later*

"So the bullies have anti-gravity devices?"

*15 more*

"Wait, wait, wait...  If they never caused any more trouble how do we know there were three of them?  And how do we know that their three kids are the trouble makers? I mean the original three must have loved someone at some point to have kids right?"

"Such an unusual solution to such a horrible problem.  As for my intentions: I've only just met most of you and am still working on building my baseline reads."

"Griffy-san, who would you least like to have confirmed as a non-bully? How about most want?"
"Least like to have confirmed... such an odd question.  Anyone who would use the validation as a excuse for not helping our fight for finding the bullies I guess.  As for most like to have confirmed? I'd probably like to have Zombie-chan confirmed so I don't wish to lynch him just because I hate his play style."

"Ranger you never addressed my question about how you plan to spend your first day... Obviously hunting for bullies now that we know of them, but how do you intend to do that?"

That is so adorable. I could put you in a cage and pet you all day long.

How would that make you feel? Loved and appreciated?
I raise an eyebrow

"Appreciation typically comes with respect, so no I wouldn't feel appriciated.  I hardly consider a desire to keep someone as a pet love, Ford-chan."

Captain Ford starts complementing himself
This comes off to me as you putting a subtle power-influence on Ford~

What's up with the blank?

"Tiruin-san what do you mean by what is up with the blank? I was commenting on the fact that Ford felt the need to include himself in his list of questions which is a wonderfully silly thing to do"

"So why do you want Ford kicked out?! I don't get what you're saying. That's not cool, bro."
"Sorry... I'll try to be more clear in the future..."

"Hmm... an excellent question Solifuge-san. I think I would find it extremely difficult to fake scum hunting, as I'd not actually be looking for scum, but rather scummyness."

"As for your other question: I feel it depends on the person really, you seem to be very agreeable but I wouldn't fault you for it, however if Dariush-chan decided to be overly agreeable I would consider it to be a case of refuge in audacity."

Good morning, everyone!

To start with, I would like to hear from everyone: which tell do you think is most valid?  Which tell do you think is least valid?

"Leafsnail-san, sorry I'm late with my answer: The most valid way of identifying bullies?  I'm still new here so I'm working it out by practice.  I've been working on a requested_work to work_put_in ratio that I feel is hopeful though.  The basic theory is that people will fake scum hunting by being overly pressy.  This means that they'll typically force people to put in more effort than they are putting in."

"The least valid?  Them putting pressure on you to see if you're a bully.  After all, isn't calling people out on that omgusing?"

"How much I'm going to enjoy the game of course.  As town most of the fun comes from interacting with other people, (Yes FUN Vector, not obligation) so RVS let's me know who it will be a pleasure to play with, and who I will spend the entire game banging my head against."

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Toon Mafia VII - But I Don't Want To Re:Love! [Game Starts May 30th]
« Reply #309 on: May 31, 2013, 10:54:27 pm »

"Oh, and, um... oh, I know! Daylight! Why's our local glowball getting so worked up bout Ford being all nosey anyways?"
"Hey, Shiny! you missed one!

Shinigami_King

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 31, 2013, 11:05:40 pm »

Griffy
(Yes FUN Vector, not obligation)
You know that I don't like Vector's playstyle. Are you trying to befriend me?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 31, 2013, 11:26:46 pm »

"Dariush-san and Vector-sama's alterego will probably have a headache from all the colors. Hah, colors.

"...Soli-san's cat is still very nice."

Shinigami
Toaster, Tiruin, Daruish and Zombie Urist- How do you think the roleplaying is going to affect this game? Do you expect people to use it as cover.
BAHAHAH, cover. No. That'd be a pretty cheap way, and muchly obvious for people who watch the English language very, very closely.

When I roleplay, its mostly in italics. I may forget at times, but my IC voice is pretty much my voice.

"Cover is only for those who perceive things as it is said to be, and only for those who don't rely on better discernment. Sure, it may be used as cover, and it may not--what depends is on the context of what the person is acting upon. It may be used as a scumhunting tool, as well as a slip-up catch. Its basically down to how you know how to communicate, and for me there's no problem in roleplaying.

"I mean, nobody's blaming ToonyMan for the construction of this really nice setting. Look at all the time he made in making this school!"

Griffy
(Yes FUN Vector, not obligation)
You know that I don't like Vector's playstyle. Are you trying to befriend me?
. . .

"Pretty paranoid there, huh. Where is befriending seen there, my fellow yokai lover?"

Jim- Yes I am happy. I like answering questions I just don't like being swarmed as I'm sure anyone would agree. Also, I feel like other things can be learned from RVS but your point is valid.
"You seem to be averse to answering questions in multiple forms. Why is that?"

"Oh, and, um... oh, I know! Daylight! Why's our local glowball getting so worked up bout Ford being all nosey anyways?"
"Hey, Shiny! you missed one!
"I believe he likes being called Griffy instead. Griffy-san, if possible, because it's confusing calling him Day." :P

Also, for those who may question my stance on Lenglon? Pretty neutral but leaning town-ish..can't see much in her posts but curiosity. Vague scumhunting at least, but none which pings my scummeter.

"Say, what's your take on those assertive players? Vector's alterego, Dariush, and probably Leafsnail, Lenglon-san? Come to think of it, what if you were a bully--would there be any difference in your playstyle from..not being a bully?"

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 31, 2013, 11:37:50 pm »

Captain Ford starts complementing himself
This comes off to me as you putting a subtle power-influence on Ford~

What's up with the blank?

"Tiruin-san what do you mean by what is up with the blank? I was commenting on the fact that Ford felt the need to include himself in his list of questions which is a wonderfully silly thing to do"
"But that's normal of the guy, he usually does that. And you want to kick him out on it? How does that mark him as a meanie bully-boy?

"I mean, he's asking himself why he's handsome, and all that...n-not that I think he's handsome. I mean, everyone's handsome in some way."

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 31, 2013, 11:43:32 pm »

Nerjin: Would you describe yourself as a bit of a cold fish?

"Well Ford ol' bean I simply find I don't cater towards fish as well as some may expect. Indeed it is amongst my least loved foods. If you're referring to my personality than I find myself a bit of a damper in social situations."

[AKA: What?]

Nerjin: Are you called revolver because you feel the need to revolve around a relationship rather than committing?

"They call me revolver due to the fact that I am nearly obsessed with that particular type of fire-arm. Specifically single action revolvers. My personal favorite is the Single-Action Army which I get... rather excited about even touching. My need to revolve around relationships rather than committing is because when I was younger the woman I was in love with broke my heart in a rather brutal fashion. From that day forward I've had trust issues and relationship worries... But yeah your idea's okay too."

"Nerjin-san, if you were a bully, who would you get rid of first?"[/color]

"Well... as much as I love him, in his own special way, I feel that Dariush require's some time off. He takes long school days of no progress really hard. Plus he looks a little unwell. I hope he feels better soon."

"Nerjin, I'd also like to know what that temper tantrum was about. I mean, Ford's a creep, but that's no reason to quit coming to class."
“I regret to inform everyone that myself and Ford had a misunderstanding entirely on my part. He was mimicking other players who are a little more… aggressive in their moods. Coming from Ford however I figured he was simply being disrespectful. He has since cleared that up hence my rejoining of the game.”

“I’d like to apologize for the delay of actual work right now but a friend is over and I have business tomorrow. Hopefully Sunday sees me more capable of playing. For now though I’m curious about you, Zombie Urist, you haven’t spoken much and from what I remember of you when we played the Viva Revolucion! board game the other day you don’t speak much as scum. Do you always remain so quiet?”
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 31, 2013, 11:49:34 pm »

"Say, what's your take on those assertive players? Vector's alterego, Dariush, and probably Leafsnail, Lenglon-san? Come to think of it, what if you were a bully--would there be any difference in your playstyle from..not being a bully?"
"Assertiveness is usually a good thing. Those bullies are cowards at heart, and aren't going to go out of their way to advertize who they are. We're going to need people with assertive attitudes to force them out of hiding. I just don't want people to think that this gives them a free reign to become bullies themselves in the course of their hunt. Assertive is fine, hurtful is not."
"As for if I were one of the bullies? Well, I'd try to make sure there wasn't any difference. After all, if being a bully changed what I'd do, then that would give away that I was a bully. All the bullies can do right now is hide."

"I mean, he's asking himself why he's handsome, and all that...n-not that I think he's handsome. I mean, everyone's handsome in some way."
"OOooooohhhh, Tiruin liiiiiiiiiiiiikes Ford. Are you saying you'd like it if he put you in a cage tonight?" (aka, used a jailkeeper's night action on you?)
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 100