Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Breaking point: what would make Dwarf fortress utterly impossible to micromanage  (Read 11847 times)

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile

dwarf fortress is currently in Alpha right now, and it's already the most complex simulator ever built. at some point, i feel like it would reach a problem where it becomes utterly impossible to play because of all the shit that going around you. at this point i've seen tons of suggestions for DF, many to make it easier to manage, equally as many to make it harder.

my question to the community is this. what change to dwarf fortress would make it utterly impossible to manage. this could be new features, changes to existing features, changes to mechanics and user interface, removing mechanics, etc. i actually want to visalize new features that would make it unplayable.

if you already think it's unplayable, state the feature of DF that you think makes it impossible to manage the game.

for my two cents, it would be removing the ability to pause the game.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

Beat me to it. Give me pause and I can micromanage as much as I like.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Giving dwarf thoughts full override authority over tasks and orders.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

Intoroducing NPCs with plot armor.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Beat me to it. Give me pause and I can micromanage as much as I like.
This. Ripping away pause would murder the game and turn it into full simulation... If it could be automated.

Lasander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I thought it was already impossible to micromanage.  Maybe I'm terrible but I have a hard time playing the game at all without dwarf therapist.  The built in GUI does an awful job of selecting labors and such.  Sure I can sit in pause all day and go through each and every dwarf selecting/deselecting labors but I'd rather spend that time designing my fortress.
Worship!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile

Making the player more like an actual dwarven leader rather than an all-seeing observer: you have to see events instead of them being announced for you, you have to talk with dwarves individually to relay their assignments, and you can't look any place that a dwarf wouldn't be able to go.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

Making the player more like an actual dwarven leader rather than an all-seeing observer: you have to see events instead of them being announced for you, you have to talk with dwarves individually to relay their assignments, and you can't look any place that a dwarf wouldn't be able to go.
Oh god it'll be like Ultima Regio Regium.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile

Constant announcements that Urist McClowncar has given birth to kittens or whatever, recentering your screen every fifteen seconds. Oh, wait, that's already in.
I'd say a lack of announcements.txt would be the breaking point for me.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Making dwarftherapist NOT compatible with DF.

Seriously DT is the only thing that makes DF playable for me (assuming i want to get things done properly by assigning skilled dorfs to tasks they are good at)
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Making the player more like an actual dwarven leader ....

You mean requiring alchohol dependency for greater efficiency?  Like the car breathalyzers, but in reverse?  Mandating the production of nonsense?  Preferring to Attend Party than Negotiate Trade Agreement?  Seems legit.

gabandre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

make dwarves sober

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile

Realistic democratic and legislative processes.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile

You start with 2cat.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

FYI, anyone claiming that merely breaking compatibility with Dwarf Therapist would make DF impossible is wrong, as I and several others do exactly that.

Go Purists!

Similarly with those complaining about announcements "recentering the screen every 15 seconds" or about cats.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5