Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Biggest migrant wave you ever had.  (Read 2375 times)

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Biggest migrant wave you ever had.
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 11:45:26 pm »

I think the largest wave I had was ~ 60.  Most if not all were married and the fort ended up with a baby boom the next year.   Mmmm, 2:1 child:adult ratios are fun.
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 07:37:10 am »

I feel somewhat left out in that I've never seen more than about 25 in a migrant wave.  I know there's some randomness to the madness, but are you all doing something special to get close to 100 dwarves?  Digging up a million urists worth of platinum or adamantine in the first year?

For that matter, most of my migrant waves have only 1-2 children at most.  I wonder why that is?  Seems that's rare in .34.11.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 08:36:38 am »

I feel somewhat left out in that I've never seen more than about 25 in a migrant wave.  I know there's some randomness to the madness, but are you all doing something special to get close to 100 dwarves?  Digging up a million urists worth of platinum or adamantine in the first year?

For that matter, most of my migrant waves have only 1-2 children at most.  I wonder why that is?  Seems that's rare in .34.11.

Try making lots of crafts and statues and so on. I had a buttload of migrants once because I was making an aboveground fortress (so lots of blocks and constructions, hence, bloated wealth). Try that.

As for childrens, I once had a migrant wave with a lot of them. I don't know what's up with yours. I'm guessing the world is too young so there's not a lot of children.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 08:52:21 am »

Current world genned until year 270 or so, so I don't think that's it.  It's also an above ground fort.  :)

Maybe it's just luck I didn't get inundated with free loaders.  Then again, 4 years into the game and my fort's wealth is only about 400,000 dwarf bucks.  My other forts in .34.11 had much higher wealth early on (steel armor for everyone) and they didn't get many children either, though.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 09:11:33 am »

I've gotten lucky with my latest embark. Course, that might have something to do with setting the popcap to -1 after the 3rd wave... and being on a terrifying swamp with three towers. And a bigass aquifer. I'm only now starting to clear the surface, like 10 years in. And I'm paranoid as shit about the FBs breaking into the forges--I set them to show up at 30 guys, and I hit the flag with childbirths. Already got three chilling out down there.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2013, 09:28:14 am »

Largest yet was 38.

Put half into the military/pump/catapult squads.  A few more went to mine some risky caverns.  A few more went to my Seabee force, and the final ones to my farmer/lumberdwarf/herb gatherers.  A few haulers.  The great part is the miners died, and because I tend to use less mechanisms/traps than others most of the militia died rather quick.

EDIT:

As for babies, try changing the d_init options.  The baby percentage is incredibly low, it seems.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 09:39:57 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 11:26:31 pm »

It may have been the gold I dug up and used for cages. Lots of gold cages because I'd run out of wood, but had bituminous coal on hand. 

And maybe a crashed caravan, which shouldn't have affected wealth,  but...*shrugs*

Oh.  And I'd previously abandoned a fort with about 30 dwarves. that may have pushed the wave size up a bit. 

This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
  • And again everything goes wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2013, 03:13:48 am »

My worst had to have been when I accidentally deconstructed a trade depot when there was a massive caravan on it woops the wave was I think just over 100 dwarves next time I checked the value of what they had first in case I stupidly did that again.
I (somehow) wield a marble coffin that i fill with the corpses of all I have slain (to make an already heavy object even heavier) in one hand, and the other holds a book made out out of fucking platinum. The book can crush skulls, and the coffin grows ever stronger and now that is has a few dead dragons in it, it sends people flying a mile backwards to explode in a pile of gore. Gore which I then place into the coffin,

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2013, 02:27:32 am »

I've never had problems with migrants (my biggest was like 48 as a third wave), since I always produce large surplus of food and don't care about living conditions of random cheesemakers. I pick useful dwarves from the waves and make them real Citizens - those include mainly carpenters, masons, smiths, good craftsdwarves, cooks and brewers - and put all others to militia where they will have a change to rise in the society.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2013, 07:37:17 am »

Remember, dwarves produce resources.
Children don't so much, although if you've set everybody to farm just to get some brewables in the ground they're pretty good at getting the harvest in while everyone else is running around producing other stuff.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2013, 07:54:40 am »

One hundred and eight.

Fortress went bonkers for a while as I nearly emptied a mountain to make a giant room with Hospital Zone beds.

Built three kitchens and three farmer shops, expanded farm plots and the likes...

and then, of course, the diseases attacked and everyone nearly died because no, the wards refused to be built.

Fun.
Uhuh.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2013, 09:22:21 am »

89 dwarves. Half were lye makers. i now have 6 surviving millitary squads made entirely of lye maker soldiers. Most are dying.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2013, 12:10:48 pm »

89 dwarves. Half were lye makers. i now have 6 surviving millitary squads made entirely of lye maker soldiers. Most are dying.
Good. No one likes those lye-making jerks. Always prancing around like "Hey, I make lye? What did you do with your lives?".
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2013, 07:10:40 am »

Good. No one likes those lye-making jerks. Always prancing around like "Hey, I make lye? What did you do with your lives?".
Ever since Fight Club came out those lye making fucking shits think they're so hot because Brad Pitt used some lye.

Nobody cares.

Scootagoose

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill them before I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2013, 03:06:43 pm »

I once had a migrant wave of 60 or so. They were a godsend as we were in a terrifying environment.
Unf.
Pages: 1 [2]