Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Skyward Collapse - Play a distant god starting May 23rd  (Read 16957 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: Skyward Collapse - Play a distant god starting May 23rd
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2013, 03:41:28 pm »

Here's someone going through the tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpnB_DS9nyM

Fairly interesting... too bad I'm in no-spend mode at the moment. I'll likely get it when that's over :)

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2013, 04:28:47 pm »

This is... very difficult. You want to keep the two sides as evenly matched as possible, but it's impossible. They both snowball, but they do it differently. When you think you've got it sort of figure out, oh look neutral bandits. Oh and now there are gods mucking up your balance even more. Oh and MORE bandits, to force you to make both sides more powerful. Oh and you think you've got it balanced and working again? Now you have to hit a certain point threshold by the end of the era, mostly by killing things and destroying buildings. But as soon as you start destroying buildings your balance goes out of whack again! Oh but you fixed the balance somehow. Let's use this Norse power that duplicates every unit on the field for three turns, that'll get you tons of points and since you're balanced now and the growth just duplicates what's there everything should be fine, right?

Ha, nope.

It's pretty fun though. More hectic than I thought a turn-based game could be and the strategy element is definitely there and definitely strong. I don't think I'd play it much on my own, but I could see doing some multiplayer, probably with people who can figure out this kind of game better than I can for the first round or two.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2013, 04:54:06 pm »

I'd completely overlooked this! Downloading now...

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2013, 05:40:13 pm »

I played a game and its pretty iffy. I guess the complexity comes from the balancing part but its all so simple otherwise. A couple units and a few buildings but the resource system is basically 1 to 1 raw to processed.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2013, 06:09:23 pm »

Whats with all these god games?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2013, 06:15:25 pm »

They're like, stuff and things? Can you be a little more specific?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2013, 06:47:47 pm »

I dunno, Reus, and now this? God games are very rarely released.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2013, 08:24:54 pm »

I played a game and its pretty iffy. I guess the complexity comes from the balancing part but its all so simple otherwise. A couple units and a few buildings but the resource system is basically 1 to 1 raw to processed.

The balancing is definitely the meat of it, from what I've seen. I went from the basic plains map to a massive circle of mountains filled with invincible minotaurs, ruins, and unusable surviving bits of village, with a few colonies hanging off the edges, in less than 60 turns. Not intentionally, mind you, but as a part of the natural process of things. Every time you intervene in the conflict you escalate things a bit more until you're watching adamantine-boosted heroes rampage across the landscape wondering where you went wrong. It's basically a fantasy Lensman arms race.

Incidentally, I'd recommend against using Pan's flute token, as it appears to be bugged. At least, I can't imagine that actually being the desired effect. It turns all the units on the field into cerberuses, presumably to fill its function of making them unable to attack. The only problem is that they never turn back, so if it triggers right after a bunch of units spawn the military buildings all become permanently unusable, barring something coming through and killing the them, in which case the buildings will be unusable because they've been destroyed instead.

All that aside, it's something like three dollars on steam. I got my money's worth in the tutorial mission alone; everything else is pure gravy.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Eduardo X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2013, 08:46:19 pm »

The balancing is definitely the meat of it, from what I've seen. I went from the basic plains map to a massive circle of mountains filled with invincible minotaurs, ruins, and unusable surviving bits of village, with a few colonies hanging off the edges, in less than 60 turns. Not intentionally, mind you, but as a part of the natural process of things. Every time you intervene in the conflict you escalate things a bit more until you're watching adamantine-boosted heroes rampage across the landscape wondering where you went wrong. It's basically a fantasy Lensman arms race.

Incidentally, I'd recommend against using Pan's flute token, as it appears to be bugged. At least, I can't imagine that actually being the desired effect. It turns all the units on the field into cerberuses, presumably to fill its function of making them unable to attack. The only problem is that they never turn back, so if it triggers right after a bunch of units spawn the military buildings all become permanently unusable, barring something coming through and killing the them, in which case the buildings will be unusable because they've been destroyed instead.

All that aside, it's something like three dollars on steam. I got my money's worth in the tutorial mission alone; everything else is pure gravy.
This makes it sound awesome. The other posts give me pause.

But I like chaos in games, and that seems to be the point of the game. I'll try it out.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2013, 02:29:34 am »

So... Get it???
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2013, 09:46:16 am »

So... Get it???

At that price yes :P
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2013, 10:29:53 am »

I've played partway through the tutorial game so far and it seems not bad so far.  I'll play a bunch more this weekend.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2013, 10:44:58 am »

I dunno, Reus, and now this? God games are very rarely released.

They're having a resurgence. Lots of fans have been clamoring for more god games. Plus, Molyneaux making a new Populous put them on gamer's and developer's radars.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2013, 11:58:19 am »

In my tutorial game the Norse are in pretty bad shape. I gave the Greeks too many siege workshops and now they have crushed two Norse towns. Then bandits appeared right next to another norse town.

I was fretting at first, but then I realized it really isn't that hard to just create another Norse town. I know you are supposed to try to keep everyone alive, but you get points for destruction anyways.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2013, 12:14:19 pm »

Heh, I built a river between the two to prevent them from fighting.  :D

The thing is, I think you actually WANT them to fight, because it increases your score. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4