Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Skyward Collapse - Play a distant god starting May 23rd  (Read 16962 times)

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Skyward Collapse - Play a distant god starting May 23rd
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2013, 01:35:56 pm »

It seems like there may be some way to abuse terrain to have controlled fights while maintaining your towns. Then of course you let all but one building die right before the end game. Also the option of building towns in the middle to purposefully be killed. I don't have time to seriously min-max it.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2013, 03:52:45 pm »

Incidentally, I'd recommend against using Pan's flute token, as it appears to be bugged. At least, I can't imagine that actually being the desired effect. It turns all the units on the field into cerberuses, presumably to fill its function of making them unable to attack. The only problem is that they never turn back, so if it triggers right after a bunch of units spawn the military buildings all become permanently unusable, barring something coming through and killing the them, in which case the buildings will be unusable because they've been destroyed instead.

I'd recommend against using Hera's peacock as well. Same problem, but instead of being perpetual Cereberi, they perpetually wander around aimlessly.

Also, The Labyrinth is a ridiculous token. Invincible Minotaurs wandering around the battlefield, coupled with the Minotaurs ranged attack that's also does splash damage to surrounding tiles. AND THEN, the Minotaur basically murders every building it touches.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2013, 05:02:41 pm »

It seems like you should be able to get your gods to fight some how... anyone know how to do this?

I am finding that I really like this game. I think from now on though, I am only ever going to build 1 greek siege factory. Holy shit, those units are crazy.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2013, 08:13:09 pm »

If you place a token, the god will stop to smack down any enemy units it passes while heading to it. Unless you're talking about fiery deity on deity action, in which case I'm lacking the requisite experience.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2013, 08:50:57 pm »

New update, if anyone didn't know: Less OP minotaurs, other less obvious things.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2013, 09:57:05 pm »

When buildings are destroyed by whatever means (actual warfare, getting taken over by mountains, etc), their tooltips now show what kind of building they used to be before they bit the dust.

Holding down the Ctrl key now shows all the building names in your view.

These are both excellent changes.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2013, 10:00:00 pm »

Oh god, Siegfried picked up my pandora's box and is proceeding to murder everything.   :o  He's a flying invincible mercenary of doom.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2013, 10:24:21 pm »

So I just finished the tutorial with 183k score...I get the feeling that using the labyrinth to try to solve one side starting to destroy a city is what pushed the score so high. The game ended with 350 pop and 9 cities on red and 80 pop and 5 cities on blue...made the mistake of after getting the demigod who makes ranged units cost nothing...and proceeded to spam archery ranges on 4 cities...at least bandits stopped being an issue at that point but cities were burning left, right and center...especially the center of the map...it was like post apocalyptic new york or something. Only reason blue actually survived was that they managed to get Poseidon and abused placing water to protect the remaining cities from the horde of archers.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2013, 10:29:30 pm »

Can you still win if you pass the score threshold but get one side wiped out?

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2013, 10:41:15 pm »

No...it clearly said in the tutorial that you insta lose if one side gets wiped out.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2013, 12:31:06 am »

Oh god, Siegfried picked up my pandora's box and is proceeding to murder everything.   :o  He's a flying invincible mercenary of doom.

I saved myself with Ragnarok.   :o

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2013, 10:38:23 pm »

Managed to win with all settings on hard to get 824,980 points.  :)

My strategy was to set both sides to Greek, and build nothing but Incense, Steel and Clay.  Instead of troops, I just drop Minotaurs on everything and build towns to be destroyed.  Worked great!

A few criticisms now that I've played it a bit.

1)  I don't see the point of having the profile level up system.  I see no reason to do trade or diplomacy when just building towns and having them ravaged by minotaurs works great enough, and the games take long enough that it would take forever to play 9 times.

2)  The Greek seem to be better in almost every way to the Norse.  Better armies and easier to control Mythological beasts. 

3)  The god token and artifact system seems pointless.  It only really seems useful to spam them at the end to boost your score.  Any other use seems to just make it easier to lose control of the situation.

Overall though, I think this is the first Arcen game I've actually liked.  I'll be interested to see what their next project is.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2013, 12:49:06 pm »

I am working my way through another hard scoring game. I've found that it doesn't really matter if towns are being destroyed and the map is in chaos. In fact, a lot of times I just threw down cities in the center of the map and built a bunch of rock mines. By the second age I have most of what I need.

I enjoy the game enough. I agree that most of the god tokens and artifacts are mostly pointless.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]