Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Skyward Collapse - Play a distant god starting May 23rd  (Read 16899 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Skyward Collapse - Play a distant god starting May 23rd
« on: April 15, 2013, 10:50:45 am »

Games By Design Blog spot - http://christophermpark.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/skyward-collapse-teaser-1.html
Forum and info links page - http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php?board=102.0

Oh God Games fans rejoice. I saw this on RPS and I think my heart skipped a beat as my soul was sucked back to my teenage years playing Populous.

Skyward Collapse is a vaguely sandboxy god game, where you play an omniscient deity who watches over a land filled with Greek and Norse cultures. Cultures that hate each other and are more interested in spilling each other's blood than making art or inventing math.

Sort of like Reus, the goal of Skyward Collapse isn't to have one side dominate the other. Instead, your job is to keep the world in balance. The Greeks and Norse go to war with each other, totally without your involvement, and your job is to prevent either side from achieving a victory. The longer the game runs, the more carnage that gets inflicted, the better your end game score is.

The map has settlements scattered across it, and each settlement will try to go to war with nearby, foreign settlements. Your involvement takes the form of giving (or I suppose destroying) the resources of either side, choosing nation specific "upgrades" for each and more.

The game has 3 phases. The first phase, establishment, is where villages just start out and your involvement is fairly minor. Consider it kind of like the world gen phase of DF. In phase 2, settlements are established and they start going to war for real. You can decide the minor patron deities of both sides, which alters their powers and capabilities. In phase 3, the war escalates and you can choose the major deities of both sides, further increasing their powers and destructive capabilities.

There's some fairly detailed parts to the sim, which I'll spoiler. You can read them all here.

Overall Gameplay

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Game Structure And Objectives

Units, Economy, and Mythology

Advanced Strategy Example

Other Things

Beta starts this month, release slated for May.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 11:17:58 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile

Thread already exists :P but this is better made than mine :P
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile

This looks awesome, mate.  But can we get some links up in here?  Do you know what the release date is supposed to be on this?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thread already exists :P but this is better made than mine :P

Bah, the one time I don't forum search....

This looks awesome, mate.  But can we get some links up in here?  Do you know what the release date is supposed to be on this?

Added release date info. I don't know if there's a main page for the game or not, looks like everything is contained on the Games By Design blog.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 11:08:08 am by 0cu »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Otherwise known as "Tyrants" on the Sega. Yeah I can see the similarities, although Tyrants/Megalomania was more about your side winning and developing technology. This is much more sandboxy.

(Ergonomically terrific. Sorry, couldn't help myself.)

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So that's the new Arcen Games title.

Sounds extremely fun, but on the other hand their games usually end up too complicated for their own good.
I own all of them, but i havn't finished a game other than low difficulty AI War with limited ship selection haha.

Oh, and could you make the link to the official site a little more obvious or bigger?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 12:08:48 pm by Lord Snow »

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile

I don't even see the link.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Technically it does have an official site (the arcen forums and x4000's blog, Games by Design), but you do have a point about it not having its own page on the arcen site in general, nenjin.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The only down side to this wonderful concept is its turn based. regardless, watching with interest.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I dunno how many more times I can link Games By Design, for reals. :P

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile

Anyone else find it weird how these guys seem to pump out games so quickly lately?  They just recently put out Shattered Haven as well(which is on sale today for 2.50).
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Well he (chris/x4000, the arcen founder) did say on the forums recently that they hardly had to do much engine work to do since they could use the ai war/avww engine work for the most part. I'm not a developer of anything, but less work lets you do things faster I'd say.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Less or no time developing the engine = more time for content and mechanics. At least that's my hope. It could also equal a really high turn around time and a short game.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile

Seeing as though my topic was crap update is here !!

He game will be coming out on the 23rd and it really sounds like something really cool mini update here
Also being released on steam:

http://christophermpark.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/skyward-collapse-teaser-mini-trailer.html?m=1

It sounds interesting being able to make everything but controll nothing you can even make other gods and let them lose !

Your task is to build and populate the floating continent of Luminith.  You can create -- but not control -- gods, creatures, and artifacts from both Greek and Norse mythology.  The power you wield with these is immense.  (As one example, Heimdall's horn causes everyone standing outside to drop dead.)  Your task is to keep both factions alive until The Master calls you home -- but this is harder than it sounds.  Bandits, along with periodic Woes add to the variety of challenges that you'll face in any given game.  Every game plays out completely differently, and you'll need even the craziest of your powers in order to survive what lies in store for you.
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM
Pages: [1] 2 3 4