Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf possesed - got everything they want in stockpiles but he remains idle  (Read 2817 times)

Fantersam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

He wants wood, stone blocks, metal bars and cloth.
at least 10+ of everything.
He still remains idle for some time now.
It is not forbidden.
Maybe the wrong type of cloth?

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's the most likely. You can check what materials he's gathered and the order of his demands to identify what specifically he's blocked on.

It could also be that the visiting caravan has a metal bar of a type he prefers, so he's patiently waiting for you to buy it rather than taking a 'boring' metal bar.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's probable that it's the wrong kind of cloth. A fey mood needs either plant cloth, silk cloth or wool cloth and won't take anything else that may be available. I always bring a few of every kind on embark or buy some from the first merchants, because cloth is commonly needed.

Materials in the caravan are not considered for moods, just like materials you forbid yourself. If you already have any kind of metal in your stockpiles (that are reachable and not forbidden), the dwarf should take those. I never experienced a dwarf insisting on one a single kind of metal, so I'm not absolutely sure about that.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile

You also be looking at multiple types of cloth. He may need some plant cloth to wrap the hilt in, and some silk for menacing spikes.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Materials in the caravan are not considered for moods, just like materials you forbid yourself. If you already have any kind of metal in your stockpiles (that are reachable and not forbidden), the dwarf should take those. I never experienced a dwarf insisting on one a single kind of metal, so I'm not absolutely sure about that.
I have. I was irritated, because I had a moody weaponsmith and I had forbidden my metals and went through a lot of effort to rush the production of a lovely steel bar which he refused to take. Instead, he insisted on waiting to be allowed to claim his preferred nickel bar (at least it was made into a crossbow!).

I do not recall for sure if I had already purchased the nickel bar by that point or not; but I do believe it was still owned by the caravan at the time because I vaguely recall being worried about being able to buy it before it was too late, and cannot recall any reason why I would even bother trading for a nickel bar.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 03:29:19 pm by Hurkyl »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile

I have. I was irritated, because I had a moody weaponsmith and I had forbidden my metals and went through a lot of effort to rush the production of a lovely steel bar which he refused to take. Instead, he insisted on waiting to be allowed to claim his preferred nickel bar (at least it was made into a crossbow!).
If you have smelted at least one bar of a metal that a dwarf prefers then the moody dwarf will request that metal specifically. Elsewise they will be willing to take any metal bar available (the exception to this is adamantine wafers, which will be requested almost always if present).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thank for the information, i2amroy. Now I also know, why it never happened to me. All m y embarks that lived long enough to get moods were on sites with silver and iron in abundance, so I only smelted that and never bought any bars from the caravan. My moody dwarves just didn't know that any metals besides iron, steel and silver existed.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!