Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Horrific Hallway: Turn One : Player-Designed Deathtraps on a d20!  (Read 2256 times)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

The idea is, you have six players, each one gets a role in the game:
1. The Player
The player is the unlucky soul who must slog through the challenges presented by the Cosmic Horror Chamber. They're locked to "mostly human" in character creation, although their abilities do not have to be. Basically, the player cannot start off as a common dachshund, an octopus professor, or anything of the like, but they can be a half-man half-bear firebreather, or Joe, IT guy for Intellicorp. This does not mean the player will not be able to become any of these things through progression. They do this:

Spoiler: Player Sheet (click to show/hide)

Next is the Mother Atrocity. This player does not directly play the game, but keeps a bank of 18 monsters for the character to fight at any time. These monsters are given a name, their appearance is given, then their abilities and general intelligence level. Anything from civilization-smart bloodsucking micro-bat swarms with blade-sharp wings to a common daschund with limited immortality and fire-breathing.

The first list of 18 is given by PM, and then any time a monster is slain, a new (must be different than the original, but on the original list there may be up to three of the same kind of monster on the list) one takes it's place on the list (again with PM). Each turn, a d20 is rolled to see what monster inhabits the area- on a 19 or 20, no monster is around.

The third player is the Lootsmith. Most rooms will contain some form of loot for the player- a treasure box or like item to open and find the treasure inside.

The Lootsmith does what the Mother Atrocity does, but in a different way. The same d20 is used, but with a few variations:
On the list, items 1-4 are bad items that hurt the player in some way- a sword that painfully welds itself to the player's hand, a staff that can't hit monsters and instead bounce off and smack the player, etc, 5-8 are bad items that, while not directly harmful, aren't good either. A staff that breaks as soon as it hits something, a really tiny sword, a lint roller... that kind of thing. 9-18 are good loot items that have some beneficial effect- net benefit, at least. A cloak that blocks magic attacks or a giant warhammer that lowers Dex but increases Str greatly. 19 is a special loot set that includes three or more items of a "set", all of which are good but not always sensical: such as the "Delicious" set that has "Hot Dog Costume (+2 all stats) + Condiment Bottle Boots (rerolls failed Dex) + The Tenderizer (Warhammer that does extra damage against flesh.) The player will not know what grade their loot is unless they roll a 19. 20 is no loot. The Lootsmith may detail weapons as much or as little as they please, but the GM will fill in where they don't.

Fourth is the Cosmos Architect. This player designs 20 rooms, such as "long hallway Steampunk-style, tubes and gears everywhere, constant Dex checks" or "Wide, expansive village, filled with villagers of various disposition, Int check for thieves"

Each room must have at least that much description, and various checks must be made, with one exception. Room #20 should make no checks on the player, and contain something useful. Other rooms may contain useful items, but Room 20 will have no checks to obtain said item. For instance, say room 2 had a useful item. It would look like this:
"10x10x10 cubic room with various benches holding a wide variety of exotic potted plants. Willpower check vs plant pollen, Int check for safely edible berry that cures poison"
Not every room should have an item, but there's no structure to this one.

Next up is the Destiny Weaver. The Destiny Weaver chooses five numbers on a d20 to have events, such as "A local gifts the player with a useful weapon" or "A malicious entity attacks the player's mind". These should be vauge in detail, as the most important thing here is the action. The events that the Destiny Weaver creates are influenced by the other Cosmic players, such as:
Cosmos Architect: 12: A long hallway underwater. Cramped with various dials, controls, beds, and portholes outlooking the sea. (Submarine.)
Destiny Weaver: 16: A catastrophic problem will arise.

The hull breaks in places and water rushes in quickly! You'll have to reach the exit, ASAP. Unfortunately...
Mother Atrocity: 1: A small but muscular spider-like beast, with blade-sharp legs. Very smart, very aggressive.

A large spider stands in your way! It's legs oddly shine as it crawls along the walls, avoiding the flood of water! It looks like it's going to attack...

---

The Destiny Weaver's abilities don't always activate, but when they do, they can change the scene entirely. Once one comes up, the Destiny Weaver can add a new event to any un-taken number or use the same one, but the event and number can't be the same. (the same event on a different number is fine.)

Lastly, there is the Madman. The Madman gives a list of 20 "edits" to the game, and his power overrides all but the Destiny Weaver. He can directly change the results of the other Cosmic players, but not completely, for instance:

Madman: "Change the current monster to be three times the size of the player." (12)
Mother Atrocity: Small, wingless birds with knife-like beaks. A sizeable group of them. Fairly unintelligent, not angry unless provoked.

The result? Big, wingless birds three times the size of the player... and they're hungry. The player looks like food to them. Giant knife beak attacks.

If the Madman's effect wouldn't change the current result in any way, his roll is rerolled. The Madman must replace his effects like any other player. He can make such changes to the Mother Atrocity, Lootsmith, and Cosmos Architect.

The Player is not allowed to commune in any way with the Cosmos players. The Player may make actions such as ask for guidance (Openness roll), but the Cosmos players are not allowed to respond in PM or on the thread. The Cosmos players may communicate with one another, but only in an OOC thread or PMs, as it could easily clog the game up. The Cosmos players and The Player may chat about anything other than the game, or laugh about events in the game, just so long as lists aren't handed out and the like. The Player may give suggestions to the Cosmos Players in-character but they do not have to heed those suggestions, as The Player leads a sad existence controlled by cosmic horrors. Basically, the player should be blind to what could happen until it does.

So yeah, if a 10-story tall bear tries to spawn in a 5x5 room and the player is met with a cube of super compacted gore and bone then has to slog through that, or other comedic happenings, you know, happen, they players can freely chat about that so long as The Player doesn't know about the other possibilities until they happen. Things aren't on the list (such as "I was thinking of adding something like this") can be posted but should be spoilered so that The Player knows that they may or may not be ruining a potential surprise. A player that breaks this rule will have their list emptied, and any other unemployed Cosmic Horror may try for their job.

Masochists Players
dermonster- The Madman
sjm9876- Monster Atrocity
ExKirby- Lootsmith
anailater- The Player
Harry Baldman- Cosmos Architect
Greenstarfanatic- Destiny Weaver

The Player has awoken in a starry space, where space and time does not flow. Yet, The Player is still able to move, not shackled to the confines of spacetime but free of them. The Player is awakening. Now is the time to warm up, to begin the gears turning, and put The Player through their challenge. The Player must come to terms with him or herself as the Horrors begin creating their worlds, as the cosmic machine begins it's horrific work...

Anyone who is not The Player should PM their sheet.

Spoiler: WL (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 07:54:30 am by Tsuchigumo550 »
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
Re: Horrific Hallway: Turn One : Player-Designed Deathtraps on a d20!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 03:45:50 pm »

IN

I'll post in a bit.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 03:47:28 pm »

I mean PM
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 03:48:24 pm »

So I PM my list of changes?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 03:55:39 pm »

Yes. Anyone who is not The Player is to PM their "sheets" (in the instance of Destiny Weaver, five numbers from a d20 and the effects that come with them.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 03:59:47 pm »

So I just post my sheet here because I'm the player, alright then.
Spoiler:  Bruce, THE JANITOR! (click to show/hide)
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 04:21:10 pm »

Done.

Haha, oh man. You are in for it.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 04:31:13 pm »

I'm going to be more of an annoyance than a threat...
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 04:59:26 pm »

I'm sad I missed this.

Post to hopefully get onto the waitlist for the second one of these.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 07:30:50 pm »

The Player can die, as The Player is not immortal... yet. If you'd like to be The Player, you can go ahead, if not, you can wait for Season Two (40 cleared rooms plus, or four character deaths, whichever comes first. Death is kinda hard to get, unless you get really unlucky, a 1 won't kill you, but 1s (plural) will. Once 40 rooms have been cleared, the Season continues until the current character dies. Titles get shifted in new Seasons, and players are also shifted. You can reapply to the same position though.)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 07:34:59 pm »

I think I'll wait before posting a character sheet or anything.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
  • The guy that loves nukes too much
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 07:42:29 pm »

Two things, can we make a character or opt in for a position for the next season? Also will the cosmic players be able to like... die? Or get replaced? or something along those lines?
"Come oooooon, a little insanity never hurt anyone.... Well except for that one guy, but never mind him." -superBlast

I gots a new livestream! Check it out here at http://www.twitch.tv/iamsuperblast

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 07:59:36 pm »

Only if they go inactive for too long (temporary replacement, if needed) or violate the secrecy rule. I'd prefer if we keep waitlisting till the next season is close.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 09:35:26 am »

Working on rooms right now, it might take a few days to be done. Just so you know.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 04:12:23 pm »

That's fine.
Pages: [1] 2 3