Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: #spoilers# how does one find the fun fortress?  (Read 3218 times)

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
#spoilers# how does one find the fun fortress?
« on: April 15, 2013, 06:00:48 pm »

I've never ran onto a demonic fort, in all the fort's I've seen rise and fall horribly, how does a person find one of these? Am I just horribly unlucky with these things? I just want to find one, and begin a heroic war against the monsters below the adamantine weapon.
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: #spoilers# how does one find the fun fortress?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 06:46:50 pm »

i never found one either, i think their at least as rare, or rarer than magma pipes.

Burnup

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill until you can't, Then savescum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 06:48:55 pm »

"It is easy to locate a fortress (or see if your site has one) in the Building list as an upright masterpiece adamantine weapon. Zooming to this will tell you the approximate location of the fortress. "

This is from the wiki:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Demonic_fortress
Just tell her that you were merely doing what the voices in your head were telling you to do.

cainiao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 06:15:19 am »

According to "prospect", my current embark had one and i havent yet started digging , should i upload the file?

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 06:40:06 am »

You'll also note that the world is divided up into 16x16 "region tiles" and there's one fort in each. If you're embarking on a 4x4 you've got a pretty decent chance of finding one before long.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 09:22:20 am »

Since there is one circus tent in each 16x16 world tile, 4 8x8 embarks are almost required to find it. What I do when I want to find a circus tent is I open up 4 copies of DF, load the same world up, find my embark location in one of them and set it to a 8x8 embark. Then I find the same location, and shift my 8x8 embark right until its not overlapping the other one in the top left side. Then repeat for the lower left and lower right, embark on 3 of them and use the DFHack prospect command to see if there is one.

Now, I don't like 8x8 embarks, because they are too big and end up dying to FPS rather than something Fun, so when I find the circus tent I keep that map loaded, and close all the other copies of DF, reload 2 or 3 of them, and find my exact embark location again, this time using 4x4 embarks within that 8x8 the circus tent is in. If that ends up being a decent location, I'll leave it as is, but if I want the tent somewhere specific, like centered under my fort, I'll see what region tile it falls on and keep embarking until I get it in the right place.

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 03:52:18 pm »

so yeah, is the candy weapon ever worth much?
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 04:39:37 pm »

so yeah, is the candy weapon ever worth much?
It's masterwork quality, so yeah, quite a fine weapon. Nothing you couldn't make yourself, though.
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.