Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 35

Author Topic: A New Age Begins - Sign-ups/OOC  (Read 58132 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: A New Age Begins - Sign-ups/OOC
« Reply #120 on: April 17, 2013, 09:38:25 pm »

not just a dragon.

If you read my app, you would know that they've been doing this for a while. and have gotten damn good at it. True, this might say more about how big of lazy bastards the Russian dragons are than how awesome they are, but still.
I didn't notice anything that makes the emissary more than a random dragon you have a chance to murder. Did I miss something?

And to be fair, she's kinda a bit insane from the whole having her parents burned to death and/or eaten in front of her thing. I mean, really, if you're an impressionable young lass, and some big fuck-off lizard comes, eats your parents, and declares you his slave, you would REALLY want to kill him. And probably make him suffer.
I'm not a big advocate of the insanity defense except as a way to properly get the crook treated.

So her main goal at the moment is to kill the Czar dragon guy. Because he killed her parents. And that's kinda a big deal.
...Oh, I see now. The dragon you're planning to kill is the one who killed your parents!

Agreed, GWG. My guy only went with it because he believed it would make t easier to protect humans. I'm also going to be doing the I, Robot approach to AI. Three Laws Safe and all that.
Goody goody.

Agreed, GWG. My guy only went with it because he believed it would make t easier to protect humans. I'm also going to be doing the I, Robot approach to AI. Three Laws Safe and all that.
Didn't I, Robot demonstrate that the Three Laws are basically useless?
Which, the book (where, IIRC--having never read it--the problem started when a virus carrying a bit of programming relaxing the First Law in medical robots so they could operate infected the rest of the robots infected the rest of the robots), or the movie (which could be averted by including a copy of 1984 in relevant AI's memories and some programming indicating it as a bad thing)?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Fr0stByt3

• Bay Watcher
  • Co-Creator of Woven Worlds Productions!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 17, 2013, 09:43:03 pm »

Well I((IC)) don't know that! Which will be either hilarious or just sad if AT falls apart due to rogue AIs.
Funding rebels because seriously, fuck those guys.
((They're basically the new Mongols.  I gotta say, I have a newfound respect for the Jamaican police force after playing this game.))

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 17, 2013, 09:43:16 pm »

Actually, just one of the ones that work for him.

An important one.

One that will definitely be noticed.

Which will scare him.

Which is a good thing.

As for the laws thing: Both, really. If there's a way around it, then self-teaching AI's WILL find a way to break it eventually.

So the only choices you really have is either to stick with dumb AI or treat them as full citizens.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Fr0stByt3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 17, 2013, 09:46:16 pm »

Also, keep in mind that these AIs will be developing in what amounts to a police state anyways. So what happened woth VIKI probably won't. Because it already has.
((They're basically the new Mongols.  I gotta say, I have a newfound respect for the Jamaican police force after playing this game.))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 17, 2013, 09:47:26 pm »

An important one.

Which will scare him.

Which is a good thing.
...Oh.
Oh my.

As for the laws thing: Both, really. If there's a way around it, then self-teaching AI's WILL find a way to break it eventually.
Ayup.

So the only choices you really have is either to stick with dumb AI or treat them as full citizens.
Really--oppression of a minority is a bad idea? Thank you, Captain Obvious.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 17, 2013, 09:47:30 pm »

-snip-
I kinda have Europe. Though I suppose we could trade and such.

EDIT: I should probably add that Alkus stands about 30 feet high and around 120 feet long.

Kellarn is around 40 feet long. Brown Dragons are small.
I don't think you should really have all of europe, just as I don't thinkt the US would still be a single country. I'm betting dragons would be a lot more likely to make smaller countries than even humans. You can certainly have most of germany and the baltics. I just want to british isles for sure, and would prefer the scandinavian peninsula.

Breath Attack: Any Element that he knows he word for. (I will include said words with their meanings in my actions, so never fear.)

I have a problem with this, it is too overpowered to allow for one entity to have all the abilities of the others of their kind.  The most I will allow is 2 different elements that a dragon can control, the most predominant in each parent to the dragon.  The same thing applies to you, Rolepgeek.  Also, Rolep, can you reduce the population you have?  It is a little...much.

I understand. Just toxic breath then, the camouflage thing is the important part, really.

As for population, I was going off what I supposed would be realistic estimates, since the UK and France each have around 60 million people right now. But yeah. Would 80 million humans, and 2 million dragons be better?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 17, 2013, 09:50:05 pm »

^
It seems (to me at least) that dragons, being territorial, be like lords - they take a territory of a few kilometers for themselves, limiting population that way.
The territory thing sounds good. I'll be contacting you soon anyhow.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 17, 2013, 09:50:24 pm »

An important one.

Which will scare him.

Which is a good thing.
...Oh.
Oh my.

Ayup.

Well.

Now that you put it that way.

Dude! you should totally make them like that!

I definitely won't abuse the fact that they'll eventually grow to despise your rule to turn them against you! ^___^
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 17, 2013, 09:53:25 pm »

-snip-
I kinda have Europe. Though I suppose we could trade and such.

EDIT: I should probably add that Alkus stands about 30 feet high and around 120 feet long.

Kellarn is around 40 feet long. Brown Dragons are small.
I don't think you should really have all of europe, just as I don't thinkt the US would still be a single country. I'm betting dragons would be a lot more likely to make smaller countries than even humans. You can certainly have most of germany and the baltics. I just want to british isles for sure, and would prefer the scandinavian peninsula.

Breath Attack: Any Element that he knows he word for. (I will include said words with their meanings in my actions, so never fear.)

I have a problem with this, it is too overpowered to allow for one entity to have all the abilities of the others of their kind.  The most I will allow is 2 different elements that a dragon can control, the most predominant in each parent to the dragon.  The same thing applies to you, Rolepgeek.  Also, Rolep, can you reduce the population you have?  It is a little...much.

I understand. Just toxic breath then, the camouflage thing is the important part, really.

As for population, I was going off what I supposed would be realistic estimates, since the UK and France each have around 60 million people right now. But yeah. Would 80 million humans, and 2 million dragons be better?

Don't forget that in this world, civilization has only been around for 4000 years rather thatn 10000.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Fr0stByt3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 17, 2013, 09:55:13 pm »

Did I mention that I'm a Democratic Police State? So the First Law shouldn't really be a problem. Also, keep in mind that this is all theoretical at this point. We're just now beginning research.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 17, 2013, 09:56:29 pm »

Well, really, how can you be sure that essentially enslaving them like that won't cause them to become resentful?

Also, to be honest, if she starts getting word of the groups that ARE accepting and generally equal (She still won't like there being a ruling class of dragons) she won't want to kill those ones as much. Maybe.

Really her stance happens to be 'kill all dragons' because they're the ones that killed and enslaved everyone.

And she's kinda pissed about that.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 10:00:35 pm by ragnarok97071 »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 17, 2013, 09:59:57 pm »

I have posted some numbers that should be reasonable, but feel free to voice your opinion on the matter.  I'll be checking in tommorrow, because I need to leave the internet to sleep.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 17, 2013, 10:00:23 pm »

Oh hey look, that's my dragon emissary.

Fr0stByt3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 17, 2013, 10:00:52 pm »

Yeah, the main thing is that I kinda just told my researchers, "Hey, go create some AIs." So I have no idea what they're gonna come up with.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 17, 2013, 10:01:18 pm »

An important one.

Which will scare him.

Which is a good thing.
...Oh.
Oh my.

Ayup.

Well.
Now that you put it that way.
Dude! you should totally make them like that!
I definitely won't abuse the fact that they'll eventually grow to despise your rule to turn them against you! ^___^
Yes, the dragon who's championing human rights will DEFINITELY be interested in enslaving sentient AI's.

Well, really, how can you be sure that essentially enslaving them like that won't cause them to become resentful?
We have evidence that won't be the case. *Holds up a mirror so it reflects ragnarok's character's image*

Also, to be honest, if she starts getting word of the groups that ARE accepting and generally equal (She still won't like there being a ruling class of dragons) she won't want to kill those ones as much. Maybe.
I can only hope. It would be a shame to have to kill you.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 35