Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 35

Author Topic: A New Age Begins - Sign-ups/OOC  (Read 58899 times)

Fr0stByt3

• Bay Watcher
  • Co-Creator of Woven Worlds Productions!
    • View Profile
Re: A New Age Begins - Sign-ups/OOC
« Reply #300 on: April 28, 2013, 01:01:20 pm »

I'll post later today. I just got Dark Souls.
Funding rebels because seriously, fuck those guys.
((They're basically the new Mongols.  I gotta say, I have a newfound respect for the Jamaican police force after playing this game.))

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 29, 2013, 10:16:52 am »

Well, glad to know that the things can do a powered descent.
For when falling is too slow?
Actually, that is a feasible scenario. The helium is captured and compressed rather than vented, and that proces can take time. (Venting is possible, but helium is rather hard to get)

@Frostbyte:

I dunno, but if I had a camera network I'd just turn it on all the time.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 29, 2013, 10:30:49 am »

Whee, dead week.

Fr0st, I'll be contacting you IC soon enough. As soon as I feel a pulse in my veins.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 29, 2013, 04:01:49 pm »

Well, glad to know that the things can do a powered descent.
For when falling is too slow?
Actually, that is a feasible scenario. The helium is captured and compressed rather than vented, and that proces can take time. (Venting is possible, but helium is rather hard to get)
Ah, right, lighter-than-air craft.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 30, 2013, 11:07:44 am »

I have officially overextended myself. Sorry to everyone, but I'll have to drop out of this. Too much to do and not enough time. Sorry again.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 30, 2013, 03:45:32 pm »

I have officially overextended myself. Sorry to everyone, but I'll have to drop out of this. Too much to do and not enough time. Sorry again.

I am sorry that you have to leave.  Don't worry, your country will live on, just in the hands of another player (hopefully).
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 30, 2013, 10:18:49 pm »

So, I did some research about Airships Ebbor...

Your ship is fucking huge. Like, ridiculously big. I calculated the raw lift capacity(and approximate of course) of the amount of helium you could hold in those balloons(if they're compartmentalized like you say, then it'll be a bit lower), and it's about 760 tons. That's pretty damn big, considering 500 tons lift capacity is the estimated/goal for hybrid airlift airships(though I don't know what they weigh that creates their actual raw lift capacity). You're a pretty big target, vulnerable to unguided missiles, especially in your blind spots where point defense can't help, and fragmentation missiles will shred your envelope. The dual-balloon design also doesn't help with structural stability, as the runway is vulnerable. You might think it's good for redundancy, but you lose one of them and you're going down anyway. Not considering the artillery battery you have.

Understaffed is a bit of an understatement, I'd say...

Also, these are some of my sources, I did read them, though I didn't use them all. though I did not present all of my findings about your airship from reading them.

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA233610
http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/weapons/RS21886.pdf
http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/cbofiles/attachments/11-01-Airships.pdf

And don't think I'm trying to attack you, just bringing up facts and realism. I'm doing the same thing in my search for a mech-walker design I can use. (I was wondering whether a cheetah-centaur or horse-centaur would be better; I'm thinking cheetah, since the biological restrictions to do with overheating the brain and oxygen deprivation don't apply(as much). That, and some others, of course. Probably an octoped design similar to a spider or octopus, to go pretty fast, get over just about all terrain, and be able to climb.)
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 01, 2013, 01:55:29 am »

It's supposed to be huge. Active camouflage and such make it a much less noticeable target, and it's multidirectional turbines make it suprisingly nimble. Hence why unguided missiles would need to be fired from pretty nearby. Fragmentation missiles would only be effective if there's no internal armor. Which there is. It's needed to keep the compartiments intact, protect and anchor the installations that ensure active camouflage, and provide enough structural integrity for when a 20 ton dragon slams into one of the balloons.

There are no blind spots.* That model I posted was inaccurate, but the closest thing I had. The whole thing is an integrated structure, so the runway and the two balloons are fact conneced at multiple points. When you manage to break through all that, which is quite an achievement, the ship is lost anyway as most of it's critical system have been destroyed. As for loosing one of the 2 balloons, it's highly unlikely that all compartiments will be breached, even then, the helium takes  some time to fly away. And even then, gyros can ensure a bit of stability, allowing the ship a safish landing.

The ship is not indestructible. However, there's no 1Hit KO scenario possible. Damage is grave however, as the ship is fairly hard to repair. Defense systems are nice, but overwhelm able. The ship lacks in offensive capability, and while it's stealth system is very good, it's not perfect. 

*At least, there shouldn't be. 

Don't forget square/cube law when scaling up things. Works for Cheetah's too.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 05:28:30 am by 10ebbor10 »

Fr0stByt3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 01, 2013, 05:24:02 am »

Sigg'd
((They're basically the new Mongols.  I gotta say, I have a newfound respect for the Jamaican police force after playing this game.))

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 01, 2013, 10:37:30 am »

Sigg'd
Wait, seriously? Cool~
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Fr0stByt3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 01, 2013, 01:01:26 pm »

Currently learning Megadeth - Hangar 18

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 01, 2013, 01:16:45 pm »

This still open for submissions?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 01, 2013, 01:55:25 pm »

Yup.

Xantalos just exited.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 01, 2013, 02:26:46 pm »

Spoiler: Dragon App (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 01:55:47 am by IamanElfCollaborator »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 01, 2013, 04:31:46 pm »

Spoiler: Dragon App (click to show/hide)

You could take over Xantalos's character, as well.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 35