Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 35

Author Topic: A New Age Begins - Sign-ups/OOC  (Read 58131 times)

Fr0stByt3

• Bay Watcher
  • Co-Creator of Woven Worlds Productions!
    • View Profile
Re: A New Age Begins - Sign-ups/OOC
« Reply #255 on: April 24, 2013, 07:03:56 am »

Funding rebels because seriously, fuck those guys.
((They're basically the new Mongols.  I gotta say, I have a newfound respect for the Jamaican police force after playing this game.))

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 25, 2013, 11:01:11 am »

-snip-

I am speechless.  The amount of thought you put into this is amazing.

About the aerial combat-There are the prototypical flying aircraft carriers.  How would those factor in?

About the water combat-don't forget about water elemental dragons.  Ice would probably be used to freeze the water and create (temporary) floating platforms.  Considering the firepower, battleships might be used (lot of firepower), as well as being more advanced (mobility and armor increased to counter modern weaponry).

About the dragon dive-bombing- Of course, those bombs would be smaller, probably more used to take out infantry.

The next update is going to take awhile to bring out.  I am limited to only 1 hour on the computer that I saved the turn on.   :-\
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 25, 2013, 11:10:38 am »

Any airship build is counted as a bomber. Slow yet heavily armoured, and very heavily armed.

One thing I would like to add is the likely prevalence of chemical weaponry. Tear gas like flak canisters would severly impair a dragon ability to fly (or see where they are flying towards) and designing a gasmasm for dragons is not only difficult, but also prevents them from biting and using their breath attacks.

Dump your turn post in google docs. It's free, and reliable. (Even though I consistently forget it)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 25, 2013, 07:54:08 pm »

On some things, I had to go back and think, though I didn't edit.  For example, tanks, really, can probably beat everything save artillery and other tanks. And maybe AT emplacements. And some dragons. Some. Infantry can probably beat the shit out of dragons(most of the time, all you need to protect yourself from breath attacks is a hazard suit. A high quality one, but still.); sniping you is easy when your head is the size of a car(shotguns if you get close; 12 gauge AD slug is pretty unlikely to miss)

Speaking of which, dragons should be small, and their scales should be tough, but nowhere near tank-like. Or Kevlar. Average length, I feel, might be around 20 to 30 feet. Too much larger thn that and physics starts crying about flying things and stuff like that. Some might be bigger, but unlikely to fly. Flying aircraft carriers are probably like bombers, and dragons will die if they get close, but fighters have a chance, and if bombers get overhead...that balloon can pop from a good sword swing. What's a bomb gonna do, ya think?

With water combat, I feel that it's a different field above and below water. Below, submarines are at a disadvantage. Not as maneuverable, not as accurate, far more vulnerable...of course, the dragon is basically going to have to stumble around until they see them with their eyes, as draconic hearing might be good..but it's not(usually) sonar. If the sub can get off some guided torpedoes or other AD weaponry, dragons gone. If the dragon finds the sub...sub's gone. Small, maneuverable boats above water with depth charges would work quite well against dragons though. Water carries explosions well, and there's a reason the term 'shooting fish in a barrel' was coined. The bullet hitting the water kills the fish from the vibrations.

Above water, dragons will take on an aerial role, or a submerged one; there's no reason for them to simply float. They could be boarding parties, for those with less than functional wings. Ships will probably be similar to modern ones anyway, though a bit faster and maneuverable with elemental dragon engineers. But the same anti air and heavy weapons, pretty much. PT boats will probably get into dogfights with dragons, since they can reach similar speeds, but dragons are more maneuverable higher up, while PT boats are more maneuverable close to the surface of the water.

On another note, dragons probably carry guns. Pretty fuckin' huge ones, too. They don't have our manual dexterity, and probably don't have the same aim, simply due to to skeletal structures, them being winged quadrupeds and all, but they can use them.

Finally, why 4000 years? It just seems so short, when dragons are involved. That's like...if we go with breeding age being about 70 for a dragon, barely 58 generations at the most. IRL, there's been (assuming average of 25 for generation) 4000 to get where we are.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 26, 2013, 12:28:59 am »

Actually, zepelin balloons are fairly rigid. Can soak up enemy fire without getting damaged to much.

A series of structural vulnerability tests were done by the UK Defence Evaluation and Research Agency DERA on a Skyship 600, an earlier airship built by the Munk team to a similar pressure-stabilized design. Several hundred high-velocity bullets were fired through the hull, and even two hours later the vehicle would have been able to return to base. The airship is virtually impervious to automatic rifle and mortar fire: ordnance passes through the envelope without causing critical helium loss. In all instances of light armament fire evaluated under both test and live conditions, the vehicle was able to complete its mission and return to base. The internal hull pressure is maintained at only 1–2% above surrounding air pressure, the vehicle is highly tolerant to physical damage or to attack by small-arms fire or missiles
That's a commercial vehicle.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 26, 2013, 02:54:25 pm »

Finally, why 4000 years?

4000 years since the combination seemed reasonable.  Also, with great civilizations lasting longer before their decline, due to having the better rulers live for a longer period of time, and also having more of those civilizations existing at the same time, would lead to a greater ability to advance technologically.  At least, that is how I would think it would happen.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 26, 2013, 04:29:43 pm »

Actually, zepelin balloons are fairly rigid. Can soak up enemy fire without getting damaged to much.
-snip-
Depends on the airship and the weapon, but yup.

Finally, why 4000 years?
4000 years since the combination seemed reasonable.  Also, with great civilizations lasting longer before their decline, due to having the better rulers live for a longer period of time, and also having more of those civilizations existing at the same time, would lead to a greater ability to advance technologically.  At least, that is how I would think it would happen.
The crucial question is: 4,000 years since what? "Since dragons began food production" is unrealistic, "since dragons started bringing humans up-to-speed" seems more reasonable.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 26, 2013, 09:33:32 pm »

Rather than just remove the profile, I have decided to hand over the decision for Sammyo12's group's action to Bay 12, via the 'Delinquent Players help' thread.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 26, 2013, 09:40:03 pm »

Glad to see it's getting some use.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 26, 2013, 09:41:37 pm »

If Sammyo12 never shows up, I might just rename the player slot to...'Bay 12 Forums'

Kaferian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 26, 2013, 09:49:08 pm »

If Sammyo12 never shows up, I might just rename the player slot to...'Bay 12 Forums'
You should do that. Just make sure that no waitlisters are suggesting actions because they obviously have a stake in this.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 26, 2013, 09:56:54 pm »

You should do that. Just make sure that no waitlisters are suggesting actions because they obviously have a stake in this.

*Glances Back*
What waitlisters?

Kaferian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 26, 2013, 09:57:51 pm »

*Glances Back*
What waitlisters?
Made you look.  :P
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 07:07:53 am by Kaferian »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 27, 2013, 06:55:58 am »

So here's the full information sheet for my ships. Most is fluff, actually. I might add stuff later. Measurements are approximate

Spoiler: Libertitas (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 09:33:52 am by 10ebbor10 »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 27, 2013, 11:35:57 am »

A series of structural vulnerability tests were done by the UK Defence Evaluation and Research Agency DERA on a Skyship 600, an earlier airship built by the Munk team to a similar pressure-stabilized design. Several hundred high-velocity bullets were fired through the hull, and even two hours later the vehicle would have been able to return to base. The airship is virtually impervious to automatic rifle and mortar fire: ordnance passes through the envelope without causing critical helium loss. In all instances of light armament fire evaluated under both test and live conditions, the vehicle was able to complete its mission and return to base. The internal hull pressure is maintained at only 1–2% above surrounding air pressure, the vehicle is highly tolerant to physical damage or to attack by small-arms fire or missiles

Well sure,but do you think that a 25 kg bomb won't hurt it? Or any incendiary weapon? Incendiary bullets...
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 35