Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma Smelters not working!  (Read 1480 times)

Sashoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma Smelters not working!
« on: April 16, 2013, 06:52:32 am »

So as the title states, my magma smelters have ceased to work! They were working fine earlier but now they arent! If I try to make any alloy (including Rose Gold) it says I dont have fuel so I cant make it, even though I have all required materials! Example: I have 10 marble, 10 pig iron, 10 iron, and 10 coal, I try to make steel, and it says "Requires Fuel" in yellow letters. I am 100% positive I have all materials! On a side note, normal smelters WILL work, but I honestly dont want to waste even more coal on them, please help! And yes, the magma smelters are fully powered, with 7/7 magma under them.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Smelters not working!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 07:28:36 am »

Can you smelt normal ores? Is your DF unmodded?

Sashoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 07:31:06 am »

Can you smelt normal ores? Is your DF unmodded?
Yes all normal ores are smeltable, it is just the alloys that dont work! My DF is unmodded.

Sashoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 07:44:09 am »

just tried to use a normal smelter again and it said I required fuel as well, to smelt anything. I have a stockpile FILLED with coke and charcoal, I know this cant be right, anyone know whats up? Also if its related, everytime my dwarves smelt something they are taking the bars somewhere other then my bar stockpile.. no idea where, my stocks say I have 56 adamantine wafers while I can only see 3-4. Going to wait and see where the next furnace operator takes it.

Sashoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 08:02:22 am »

Alright this is getting really weird. My furnace ops take the adamantine thread to the smelter, smelt it, and then just leave it there. Like I dont see them take anything away from it, nor is there any ore on the ground, they then come back with more thread, smelt it, and then leave and bring back more, no other dwarf comes to the furnace either, yet in my stocks it says Im gaining adamantine wafers 0-0 I tried it with Gold and got the same results, are they just leaving the ore in the smelter? :o I then tried making a new magma smelter a considerable distance away from the first and that one works for some reason! It has the ability to make alloys, such as steel rose gold etc. Anyone else experiencing this? its really starting to aggrivate the hell out of me :/

Sashoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 08:06:47 am »

Tried breaking and rebuilding magma smelter. When it broke it exploded in a rainbow of gold, adamantine and various other metals that were missing -_- I think my furnace op was stashing away everything he made inside the smelter. Half of it burned in lava so wtf is up with this.
Have yet to see if the rebuilt smelter how work however. still waiting on masonry.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 08:10:12 am by Sashoke »

Sashoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 08:14:39 am »

Alright. Furnace has been re made, and it brought back HALF the alloys. The other half (like steel and pigiron) are still unvalid. Idk wtf is going on, Id really like some help :(

The Hadad

• Bay Watcher
  • Lighten up, it was funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 08:20:29 am »

OK, first of all, it's considered poor form to multi-post to that degree in pretty much any forum.

Second of all, what's probably happening is that your dwarves are storing your bars and such in bins. Unlike previous versions, where dwarves take what they intend to store and place it in bins, here dwarves take the entire bin, store the item, then carry the bin back. If all of your coke is in bins, and all of your dwarves are carrying those bins, then the game will consider all the coke unusable until someone puts their bin down.
>Unnecessary detail
>Dwarf Fortress.

Excuse me?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 08:32:59 am »

Are you perhaps using burrows, or accidentally linked the stockpile to a workshop?
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Sashoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 09:15:05 am »

OK, first of all, it's considered poor form to multi-post to that degree in pretty much any forum.

Second of all, what's probably happening is that your dwarves are storing your bars and such in bins. Unlike previous versions, where dwarves take what they intend to store and place it in bins, here dwarves take the entire bin, store the item, then carry the bin back. If all of your coke is in bins, and all of your dwarves are carrying those bins, then the game will consider all the coke unusable until someone puts their bin down.
Sorry about the multi posting, i did not realize how much I had posted 0-0 Anyway, none of the materials are in bins. They are not even in a stockpile, just laying up on the ground for some reason, and no they arent forbidden/scheduled for dumping :/

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 01:18:05 pm »

Certain alloys (notably those that are used in the making of steel) actually require two bars of fuel when you do them in a normal smelter. This is because they actually incorporate the carbon from the fuel into the metal in the real life forging. Thus a magma smelter will remove the bar of fuel that is required for fuel, but will not remove the extra bar intrinsic to the reaction. That is most likely the reason why your steel and pigiron reactions still require fuel.

My guess would be that your fuel supplies are not accessible from your magma smelter.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 01:42:15 pm »

Alright this is getting really weird. My furnace ops take the adamantine thread to the smelter, smelt it, and then just leave it there. Like I dont see them take anything away from it, nor is there any ore on the ground, they then come back with more thread, smelt it, and then leave and bring back more, no other dwarf comes to the furnace either, yet in my stocks it says Im gaining adamantine wafers 0-0 I tried it with Gold and got the same results, are they just leaving the ore in the smelter?

Yeah. Look at the smelter with 't', and you can see all of the items inside of it (including what it's made of).
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 02:39:43 pm »

Making a bigger bar stockpile may help.