Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Of Carp and Sharks  (Read 1009 times)

Ipwnurmom221

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Of Carp and Sharks
« on: April 16, 2013, 10:16:52 am »

So, I was dicking around in the arena, got bored, and decided to put two carp and a bull shark in a small pool.

The results:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've seen a carp take down a dwarf in the past, and was unsurprised after hearing the horror stories... But SHARKS? I put two carp in the pool, and one was completely unscathed. The shark died within mere seconds of the carp being placed!

I'll begin conducting more !!SCIENCE!! as to what carp can take down with such ease.
"I haven't seen my parents in nearly a year, I can't move a foot in any direction, I spend all my days being attacked by animals, and I've been forced to drink sheep puke- wow that's a nice floor grate!"

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Of Carp and Sharks
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 10:28:22 am »

Do sharks have cartilage skeletons in DF like in reality?  I'm betting the already fragile skull was just destroyed even more easily because of this (regarding the tearing apart the skull line).
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Ipwnurmom221

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 10:42:48 am »

Code: [Select]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:HAIR]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:BONE]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES]
[REMOVE_TISSUE:HAIR]
[REMOVE_TISSUE:BONE]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:CARTILAGE:CARTILAGE]

This is takene from a shark. Apparently they do have a cartridge skeleton, thus making them easier to kill. Some further experiments may include modded land-carp, to test their effectiveness again creatures such Elephants and !!Elephants!!.

Edit: SCIENCE UPDATE

Every shark killed by carp died via a torn skull and damaged brain. Can anyone list a non-carp somewhat-dangerous aquatic animal with bones?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 10:45:12 am by Ipwnurmom221 »
"I haven't seen my parents in nearly a year, I can't move a foot in any direction, I spend all my days being attacked by animals, and I've been forced to drink sheep puke- wow that's a nice floor grate!"

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 10:51:52 am »

This gives me bad images of carp-based HFS...

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 11:59:22 am »

One could reach the HFS, construct a huge pool and fill it with carp. Or, you know, anything else. Oh my, maybe even drain the ocean some, gather "entertaining" sealife (such as whales), fill the pool with corpses and let a captured necromancer reanimate them. Like a waterpark for clowns.
I found a human city named Sleevevirgins. It was easily the biggest city in the world, so clearly I wasn't the first person to come inside the city's walls.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 12:47:25 pm »

One could reach the HFS, construct a huge pool and fill it with carp. Or, you know, anything else. Oh my, maybe even drain the ocean some, gather "entertaining" sealife (such as whales), fill the pool with corpses and let a captured necromancer reanimate them. Like a waterpark for clowns.

Magma carps.
You heard it here first, I'm off to do some modding!

Ipwnurmom221

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 05:07:53 pm »

Not even the clowns deserve that kind of trauma! We have to be merciful at some point, even to hellspawn

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 11:26:57 pm »

If my Fort had Giant Sperm Whales, I'd rig them all up to swim around in a 10x10 bridge filled with water. Release HFS below. Smash the bridge open with a controlled cave in.

Suddenly, glorious gibs.

Fish are indeed a terror not to be trifled with. Nor are aquatic mammals for that matter. Don't even think about cephalopods.

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 11:32:58 pm »

Sharks IRL are not easy to kill.

What is the problem with the material values that makes everything so unrealistically fragile or indestructible? I know some of the values are fudged for lack of information and others are not yet implemented, but is there some kind of way to fix this or make a work-around?

I really sort of miss the mechanics of 40d, with 'hit points' and all producing a more realistic model then this material science based stuff.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 12:19:35 am »

The fudging is part of it, but with skulls at least the biggest problem is that DF doesn't understand their shape.  I just knows how much they weigh and figures durability based on that.  The spherical shape makes a skull much more durable than it otherwise would be.

The other problem is attacks are often calculated oddly.  Whips being made of silver, and then assumed to have their entire mass move at whip speeds is a problem with no clean solution without some changes to the way weapons work.  Unarmed attacks are similar, I believe there is evidence that the game puts your entire mass behind things like kicks for example.  So a horse kicking is like throwing a horse at you focused on the area of a hoof.

It definitely has kinks.
Through pain, I find wisdom.