Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SimpleGeology mod  (Read 1051 times)

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
SimpleGeology mod
« on: April 16, 2013, 11:40:57 am »

This mod greatly simplifies the games geology, in an attempt to make the game somewhat less intimidating to newcomers, and probably giving a bit more FPS to boot.

There is only one type of stone. (note:all stone is magma safe and acts as flux, there are no stone based aquifers)

Each metal only has one ore, ie. the only ore of iron is "iron ore", but they still occur in a geologically accurate way (correct veins/clusters in correct conditions/biomes).

Useless or uninteresting metals have been removed, the only metals are iron, pig-Iron, steel, copper, tin, bronze, silver, gold and adamantine.

Gems have also been simplified to only 3 types encapsulating the different value ranges; common gems, uncommon gems and rare gems. (names subject to change in future).

Download from DFFD

To install, just drop the files into your Dwarf Fortress/raw/objects folder and gen up a new world.

I recommend using this mod on top of Accelerated DF, as it simplifies other things in the game.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 11:43:43 am by daveralph1234 »

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
Re: SimpleGeology mod
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 11:46:21 am »

thanks, I like this a lot.

I'm going to implement this into accelerated civmwforge

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 12:24:50 pm »

While this is the opposite of my taste, this is a very good idea.

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 04:07:46 pm »

Personally I would not abstract the stone that much, having the proper resources on your map is an important thing. Maybe three types, normal, magma safe, and flux? Though I don't know what good names for them would be.
Otherwise I like the idea, although I don't think I could live without all my different colored rocks.
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 04:20:02 pm »

i second that idea, having all stone work as flux doesn't mirror the vanilla mechanics.

Say I wanted to add some more stone in (such as sandstone) and some fluxstone... how is the quantity of differing stones determined when I add them into the stone_layers file?  I thought it would be something like caste frequency.

I think there should be sandstone too...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 04:34:34 pm by thistleknot »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 04:48:21 pm »

Quantity is determined by the number after the ENVIRONMENT. Can't change layer stuff.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 07:11:55 pm »

part of me wants to implement this mod, but part of me is thinking, every piece of ore can be used for something...

meaning it removes the "negative" ores...  i.e. the stuff we don't want to use, kind of making the game like a cheat.  I'm thinking at least one useless metal should be available (brass?)

I'm not sure, but I feel like if I implement this, that the game is going to be a lot diff...  I mean, sure I can make silver maces and gold hammers... I guess, but everything at least has an attached $ worth with this mod.

I remember when I was stuck with brass once, and I made brass arrows (but even then, it requires zinc...)

I'm wondering if I should leave in zinc as well so as to make brass with tin.

ahhh... nevermind... I guess the whole point of this is to avoid stuff that nobody wants to use for something.

sure it's not optimal to make gold/silver hammers, but you can... otherwise you can use it for something else like furniture... just seems unrealistic even if slimmed down

Update:
Most of the things I agree with, but I'm not sure what's going on with
BAUXITE, JET, OLIVINE, ORTHOCLASE, ALABASTER not removed... not sure what they affect

they seem to be grouped with items that produce ore, but they don't?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 08:17:33 pm by thistleknot »