Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 118

Author Topic: Roll to Dungeon Quest - It's not you, it's me.  (Read 181210 times)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Roll to Dungeon Quest - It's not you, it's me.
« on: April 17, 2013, 09:00:07 am »

A Not-Quite-Generic Non-Minimalist Fantasy Medieval RTD

An ancient prophecy! Heroes of legend! Evil hordes of darkness! Ancient artefacts! Dragons! Piles of gold! Exclamation marks!

Roll to Dungeon Quest – The Search for the Magical Mandolin of Lumithos

"'Tis a time of strife..." intones the magnificently bearded man standing tall before you. "But then you knew that. That's why you're here, I imagine – driven from your worthless villages by the never-ending chaos and violence spreading throughout Lumithea... unemployment… disease… even," he adds, looking more than one of you closely in the eye before continuing, ”Or perhaps especially, madness…”

"Crikey!" mutters one of the ten would-be adventurers standing before the blue-eyed wizard. "He must be at least level-"

"Silence! Insolence! Contumelious braggart! I'll... I'll…!"

The wizard regains control of himself, wiping a few small flecks of foam from around his mouth.

"Never-ending! Ha! Pfaw! Those of learning, we know that there is no such thing. For there is an ancient prophecy: that what was once shall once more be; hordes of darkness sweeping the land and the ancient music-maker Octavius, creating the Magical Mandolin..."

He strokes his thoughtful beard a second, as if rapt in reminiscence. It occurs to more than one of you that he seems without age.

"Yea; the Magical Mandolin of Lumithos, the First God, played from the greatest height of Mount Davidius, created such harmony that the balance of the world was set aright; the powers of the forces of Good were redoubled and, indeed, Magic as we know it was born. All that has to be done then, preaches the ancient prophecy, is for the Magical Mandolin to be rebuilt; the Joyful Heights of Davidius to be rescaled; and the Holy Note of Harmony to be replayed!"

"So why don't you just reb-"

"’All’... I was being facetious. The Magical Mandolin of Lumithos was, it is rumoured and, indeed, evident from the onslaught of darkness, cast down from its place of Eternal Vibration; and there, split into three and thrust into another plane, a plane so terrif-"

"So why don't you just g-"

"Well... I am, unfortunately for my chance of everlasting legendary glory, indispensable for the protection of our lord, His Majesty Seth Aurelius VI and then, of course, even more pertinently, there is the prophecy. It calls for heroes of legend. Heroes. Zzzzzzz. Plural."

"Does this prophecy say anything about piles of g-"

"Enormous piles! Piles the likes of which you have never even imagined! And piles of adoring women! Or, you know, men. Whichever. Both. And rivers of ale. Minstrels. Yes: you don't look like much right now, I admit, but you could be heroes. And if you get to the other side and are struck down before nightfall, well, at least you would have been a hero for one day. Instead of dying in snivelling impotency back in your filth-drenched hovel as a legion of twisted goblins abuses and destroys all that was dear to you before your sucked-out and wizening eyes... Anyway..."

He points to a flickering oval, about the height of a man, at the end of his long chambers. It must be at least a hundred feet away from the ten of you, probably even two turn's run away.

"So... What say ye? There is the plane-gate. I cannot hold it open for long; it is born of my mind and weakens me the more it is used. Consider this a test. Whether by speed, skill, cunning, or brute force, five of you will get through that gate before the other five. And those first five will be heroes. And if you live, you will be heroes of legend. The Bearers of the Magical Mandolin of Lumithos. Saviours of civilisation."

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Rules (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 10:35:08 am by lawastooshort »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Players
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 09:02:47 am »

Current Players:
Spoiler: Tackov Cedtry, Toaster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Whiz, Chink (click to show/hide)

Waitlist:
Spoiler: Derm, dermonster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Blarg Gargleson, borno (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Richard Haze, scapheap (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lenneth Hardy, Ochita (click to show/hide)
SomeStupidGuy
b_knight286
Tsuchigumo550

Darkpaladin109
Walt McSalsa
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 06:54:43 am by lawastooshort »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

Name: Lady Foxglove Vainglorious the III
Class: Ravenhaired Crusader
Details:
Physical/A tall, obviously shadowy looking, fairly pretty woman with sapphire blue eyes and waist length hair the color of a Ravens wing. Wears a long black feathered cloak that wraps around a loose, sanguine red tunic, all the way down to her long legs. Has a fancy tri-cornered swashbuckler hat with a jaunty black feather in the brim atop her head, cocked at a properly rakish angle at all times.

Bio/ Lady Foxglove is a member of the Ravenhair Order-a morally grey troupe of Holy Warrior that generally seek out their own goals and ambitions, be they evil or good-only keeping allegiance to each other and Ravena, their patron Goddess-whose spheres of ambition, freedom and defying fate are universal to all moralities. They call themselves Crusaders almost as a joke, since there order has no goal but what the individual deems most important to them. Number wise, there are only about a thousand-and 4/5 of the Crusaders are women.

She herself seeks obvious riches, and a good deal of immortality-and not the sarcastic sort, like being turned into stone or trapped in a mirror. Lady Fox seeks nothing more than eternal youth and beauty, the ultimate reflection of her own vanity, which is prodigious...saving the world by the wayside would be nice too. All that beside, shes not actually a terrible person! She just has a very high opinion of herself...

Personality and History/Born and bred low nobility to a destitute Duke, Fox was forced to be ruthless from an early age-even more so, when she learned of an arranged marriage to a slovenly goat farming baron was scheduled for her 18th birthday-a chilling fate, to be sure. She became a haughty, cunning and duplicitous woman who used any means to achieve her own goals, and rarely conceded defeat-eventually beating out all her families competitors and taking by force, what was not given out of fear. She promptly blew the rest of her houses funds in an unspeakable display of hedonistic excess, saddling the debt on a foolish suitor, whom she married in a fortnight, and left the next day-literally bolting from the altar, cutting down any luckless guards in her way. She kept the ring, and still wears it in tarnished pride to this day.

She considered it amusing to become a Ravenhair Crusader-service to the Gods as 'atonement' for her many sins, when in truth it was an excuse to seek out further adventure and amusement with the powers of a generally affable, yet temperamental and fickle Goddess on her side. In her own way, she has alot of faith-yet, in herself and not much else.

Which is, ironically, Ravenas greatest lesson. She doesn't have much faith in her followers, either.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 09:48:31 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Name: Gervedder Vietzo

Class: Opportunistic Messenger

Details: Gervedder is a tall, lithe individual with short brown hair and a pencil mustache accompanied by a slightly hairy chin. His features are sharp and angular, his eyes rather dull, being gray, wet and cowlike at the same time. He most often looks curious. As for his clothes, he is dressed rather garishly, a proud insignia of a noble house on his chest to signify the dignified tasks set out for him.

As to why he's here, well, that's simple. Baron Uldenago wanted to have a part in all this hero nonsense, and sent Gervedder, his loyal messenger, ahead to give notification of his arrival, to happen in no less than three days from now due to a series of unforeseen accidents with his chariot and armor, not to mention all the chaos and violence really in need of a good trouncing on the way. Gervedder, having reached the location of the wizard, then decided that messenging might not really be his calling in life. After all, the word 'hero' just looks so much better on one's gravestone. And the benefits, oh my!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 10:26:06 am by Harry Baldman »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

Almost beat a reserve!

Also, less silly?  What is this madness?

Name: Tackov Cedtry
Class: Wind Mage
Details: Tackov, having grown up the fifth son of a family of somewhat capable wizards, was apprenticed to a somewhat-respected, but old and gruff, wizard in a nearby city.  His older brothers had already been apprenticed to the good and famous wizards around, so this was somewhat of a last minute fit.  Tackov, while able in his abilities, did not fit well with his new master, and after two and a half years of the expected seven, he was thrown out.  While he grew into adulthood working in the city, he never completed his magical training.  He was competent, but poorly trained and untested.

This was his chance to prove himself, and gain the expertise he needed to be a worthy member of the Cedtry family.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile

Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Name: Blarg Gargleson
Class: Vigilante Monster
Details: Blarg Gargleson was always the runt of the pack, being the slowest and weakest and always getting the least food (Blarg is actually a very offensive name in his language and is only given to the weakest of the pack.). Eventually he left and started robbing random people, like he had seen brave monsters had done before in the movies. His goal was to stop the ruthless killing of monsters like him and teach people that monsters can be nice. Well, not him, but that doesn't count! Eventually he snuck into this place, blending in completely utterly with the humans, although he is a half-cow half-wolf monster. Don't ask.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 09:51:34 am by borno »

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile

Reserved.

I didn't even read the thread, but it's a Lawas game.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 09:57:33 am by Errol »
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

Sheet done :P

Is an expanded version of a char in a now defunct Ironyowl game, IIRC.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile

Name: Richard Haze
Class: Flame berserker
Details: A white haired and grey eyed man wearing tattered red clothes and holding a rusted piece of metal that sort of look like a greatsword.
A mercenary who tend to leave the battlefield in flames. His power have a Phoenix-like theme to them.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 10:28:58 am by scapheap »
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Reserved, kind of. Been avoiding joining any game that requires commitment these last months due to a shortage of time, but I'll give this one a shot since I may get some more free time starting next week.

Name: Nedenir Adaros
Class: Sheepdog Peasant
Details:
 :Appearance: A bit taller than the average male peasant, with a standard body build indicating a past of not adventuring and the occasional lack of dog food. His eyes are always hidden behind the abundant - and unkempt - brown hair which falls around his head making him look like a sheepdog, although it almost magically does not hinder his sight even during extrenous activities or quick movement. Either that or he doesn't actually need to see to know what's going on. What can be seen from his face indicates a young person with no facial hair and some mud on his cheeks. His clothing is very simple, composed of very worn brown cloth and leather "boots", thick brown canvas pants torn here and there and a stained light brown shirt which might have been white someday in the past. Incidently, he is a pure-breed human who only happens to look like the dirty cross between a human and a sheepdog. Due to his current state of mild cleanliness, it is possible to notice he has recently taken a shower, or at the very least stood around under the rain.
 :Personality: Usually meek and seemingly torpid, he acts much like the nickname given to him; Nedenir is very slow to anger and tends to fare badly in most things adventurers are good at. His most efficient skills are peasant-things, with a special mention for running away from danger as fast as possible unless cornered or otherwise forced to fight. He has recently discovered to be a fast-learner, but that's about all he has going in the talent area.
 :Background: Nedenir was born a peasant, to a simple peasant family of peasant farmers and had a few peasant siblings. He led a peasant life but after being drafted into the peasant militia and during a peasant siege to the peasant-made palisade they called "city walls", the peasant slipped out and decided to try his peasant luck on something better. Peasant.
 :Equipment: Clothes, fists, long wooden stick for self-defense (fancy people call it a quarterstaff).
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 11:35:21 am by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile

Name: Whiz
Class: Whiz Wiz(ard)
Details: A tall, skinny man with eccentric hair and blue eyes. He commonly wears a purple robe, and is well known to be the smartest wizard around.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

DAMMIT HOLD A SPOT FOR ME.

Name: Derm
Class: Aetheric Sorceror
Details: I PUT ON MY ROBE AND WIZARD HAT.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 04:45:55 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 118