Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 118

Author Topic: Roll to Dungeon Quest - It's not you, it's me.  (Read 179154 times)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Roll to Dungeon Quest - Chapter 1.118
« Reply #1530 on: August 29, 2014, 10:21:44 am »

Turn One Hundred and Eighteen

The Temple of Sef...

Shoot the ninjas!

Seeing Bukkar’s head roll about on the floor, Whiz calmly raises his crossbows, one in each hand and one at each ninja, and fires! The burning bleeding one is pierced right through the face, and drops down dead; the other one is pierced through the hair, and doesn’t!

Quote from: ninja
Continue the attack!

Sprint up the slope for a moment, then sprint back down with a Sprint of Fury, and chop one of the two ninjas into pieces. Both, if a single swing of the axe and the tranquillity of my fury allows.

The remaining ninja thinks about mercilessly stabbing Bukkar through the neck stump, but realises it would be more realistic to continue attacking his current foe, which is Gervedder, and so slices at the messenger’s left knee, completely missing as Gervedder turns to run away, and then immediately turns back to run towards!

With a flaming magical axe coming down upon his gut, the ninja steps aside at just the last moment, merely taking a nasty looking bleeding and burning cut! However, looking round and seeing no more comrades in the room, except the lovestruck hippo, he suddenly and conveniently falls over and dies.

Steal Jack from that hussie! She's already got a squid! TAME THAT HIPPO!

...or if that fails, TAME HER SQUID IN RETALIATION!

Quote from: hippo
Do hippo stuff!

Just then, Sylvanna is struck by a fit of jealous hippo rage, and rolls to tame that hippo! She sidles up to the unexpecting zombie hulk, and tickles him behind the ear whilst offering him a hippo biscuit – and meets with instant success!

Jack turns round, nuzzling Sylvanna’s knee with his cheery snout in such an affectionate manner that Lord Squid, the hussie’s squid, is overwhelmed by a fit of jealous human rage! He want him some of that love and affection! The squid starts gently nuzzling Sylvanna’s other knee with his squiddy squidcheek; Foxglove feels the admiration of her squid escaping her and spins round in furious anger, and one of her many eels slips out of her pocket, flying through the air and into Sylvanna’s face!

“My face!” cries Sylvanna, frantically slapping the eel off the aforementioned face, “My face!” she cries again, before turning to flee to the other side of the room away from this intense affection and this brutal eel-based assault.

Jack and the squid chase after her, get mostway across the room, slip on something, stop, and stare at each other like bandits for several seconds and then leap one upon the other and start a vicious wrestle to the death!

*gpkkhh*
*bubbling sounds*

Scoop up my head and hop into my barrel. Gesture to Roñardo to haul me away to safety! Oh, and extinguish my stump and hold my head to it.
Oh, and Roñardo, get me a health potion!

Meanwhile, Bukkar’s lost his head again, and, turning to face the wall, gestures expressively to it to haul him away to safety. Roñardo brings him a health potion but, Bukkar having no head, he can’t figure out where to put it! Roñardo has a sudden flash of clarity, and starts searching about on the floor for wherever his beloved master’s head might have rolled to, when suddenly there’s a wild dash of squid and hippo, and the herd of Sylvanna’s admirers lovestampedes the head to a slimy paste!

Roñardo looks understandably crestfallen, but then notices that Bukkar’s neckstump has at least stopped burning, so there’s that.

Action: Ride down upon the ninjas with zombie hippo bared!

Seeing her hippo AND her squid desert her for – and even fight over – another woman, Lady Foxglove is calm and imperious: she sprints daintily around Bukkar’s squashed head and leaps onto the wrestling Jack the Hippo’s back.

"Ride on, Lord Hippo Zed!" she cries, and he does!

Roaring a great roar, Jack makes it known for miles around (to anyone that can understand Hippo) that Lady Foxglove is the one Lady for him! He rides about in a circle round the room, trampling as many ninja bodies as he can, purring with pleasure.

Deciding that discretion is the better part of valor, Tackov resolves to simply finish extinguishing self.

DroneBongo will eat some delicious ninja.

As this is going on, Tackov resolves to stop burning, and lo! He does. And, as he does so, he notices DroneBongo scampering about the room, gobbling up bits of ninja.

Spoiler: GM notes (click to show/hide)

Current Players:
Spoiler: Tackov Cedtry, Toaster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Whiz, Chink (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Jack the Hippo (click to show/hide)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Dungeon Quest - Chapter 1.118
« Reply #1531 on: August 29, 2014, 10:54:40 am »

"Onward, I sup-hm. Wait."

Take one or more of the dead ninjas, and attach their dead head, if available, to Bukkar's vacant head stump.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: August 30, 2014, 11:45:00 am »

"Well, that's it for the ninjas.  Time for some fashion piracy! Is that real black  silk?!" She shrieked, leaping upon the corpses with predatory rage, to check the brand names on the tags.

Action: Loot some stealthy ninja swag  to compliment my formal wear!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: September 02, 2014, 04:25:44 am »

Primarily because I couldn’t make the time to keep this regular, I feel that it has somewhat lost its way and focus, as it were.

My motivation is further sapped by feeling that it is not as good as I would like – this is, again, mostly due to not having enough time to keep a complicated world and plot living and advancing.

I’m not sure I can do much about the time, as work and family severely limit my time (more than they did two years ago as I have more family and more work) and also play in a bloodbowl league which takes at least one evening a week.

So I feel I have three options, and would appreciate any thoughts.

1/ motivate myself to manage my time better and spend a couple of hours a week on this;
2/ drop it, and spend my forum time on the games I play in;
3/ drop it, and motivate myself by starting a new game in a few days.

1/ would not be ideal as forcing yourself to carry on a game you are beginning to doubt is never ideal, but 2/ and 3/ would mean dropping some lovely players and characters. 2/ would leave that rtd itch still itching, and 3/ would probably scratch that itch and generate the participation of some lovely players and characters, whilst risking the time problem again – although if I make it a finite plot rather than a 5 year one that might help the focus.

I am unsure.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Dungeon Quest - Hmm.
« Reply #1534 on: September 02, 2014, 04:37:51 am »

You could put it on a hiatus, given that I see all options are leaning on extremes.

I put mine on an (unannounced) one and...it turned out pretty well. Got RL taken care of anyway, and the players are pretty peachy about it.
I'm voting for one but that might sound like enforced obligation :X
Your choice is respected either way.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: September 02, 2014, 05:32:05 am »

I hate to say it, but if you're just not happy with this one, trying to force-maintain it probably isn't going to go well. Giving up GMing is unlikely to be much better.

That leaves only the risk and thrill of trying again. Of life, lawas. Of life.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: September 02, 2014, 08:08:27 am »

I'll be interested no matter which course you take.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: September 02, 2014, 12:03:00 pm »

I hate to say it, but if you're just not happy with this one, trying to force-maintain it probably isn't going to go well. Giving up GMing is unlikely to be much better.

That leaves only the risk and thrill of trying again. Of life, lawas. Of life.

I fundamentally agree with this, although don't feel obligated to run another game if you feel you can't do it at a reasonable standard of quality.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: September 02, 2014, 12:10:08 pm »

Honestly, whichever you want to do is fine by me.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: September 02, 2014, 06:09:30 pm »

Arg <<

Will comment more later...
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: September 04, 2014, 10:44:44 am »

Hello! Dwarmin has argged me from the depths of my existential GM crisis, and I have decided upon option 4: invigorating changes to the rules a la Errol (but with more success with regards to actually invigorating the game), and with the intention of streamlining things for the GM and generally speeding things up. I also found the plot outline document, which will help.

I am proposing the below changes to the rules in the OP and would welcome, although possibly not implement (unless you can think of better stats but no more than 6), comments and suggestions.

These changes will entail reworking character sheets slightly, which will also be fun.

Proposed changes:
Character sheets to be simplified so I have less to keep track of – main sheets to be kept on first page, only HP and MP to be recorded at end of turns.

Abilities/spells with cooldowns to be replaced with abilities/spells with MP cost (so I have less to keep track of). This will require some kind of balancing on my part to make it all fair.

Harry Baldman’s Exploding Dice to be used!  This is just sensible, really. I might also drop the use of abbr tags.

Statification of the character sheets!

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Rules (click to show/hide)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Dungeon Quest - Aha!
« Reply #1541 on: September 04, 2014, 11:02:02 am »

I notice that there's no utility stat. No stats governing out-of-combat behavior, to be exact, such as Lady Foxglove's charisma or Sylvanna's "medicine".

Also, consider making Strength and Toughness a single stat, since "non-light weapon melee" is a pretty narrow sort of thing to specialize in.

Perhaps do the same with Agility and Dodge, while moving "light weapon melee" over to Strength as well.

Then you'd have MP, Dodgility and Strenghness, giving you room for more stats to assign to more non-combative uses.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 11:12:53 am by Harry Baldman »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: September 04, 2014, 11:09:27 am »

I notice that there's no utility stat. No stats governing out-of-combat behavior, to be exact, such as Lady Foxglove's charisma or Sylvanna's "medicine".

No. I will keep various abilities the same, so Foxglove will always (as she does now) have a standard no-cost bonus to this kind of role and Sylvanna will still have a once per day item creation.

I considered adding a sixth class specific stat, but I would have to choose this or it would be open to misuse...

edit: in fact, it would make more sense to have NO stats except MP and HP, which I would have to work out a way of assigning, and then transform any relevant abilities: bonuses and so on to melee, missile, utility stuff are already represented in these abilities.

second edit: ha, good ninjaing of each other and ourselves. I like those 3 stats. Not sure what non-combat stats I'd want though.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 11:14:41 am by lawastooshort »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: September 04, 2014, 11:14:33 am »

Maybe make it a tradeoff between MP and HP? Have more MP and less HP or vice versa?

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: September 04, 2014, 11:20:58 am »

Maybe make it a tradeoff between MP and HP? Have more MP and less HP or vice versa?

Hmm, the worry with that I'd have is that, for example, Bukkar is a fighter needing HP to not die, but need MP to do his anger based moves. Whereas if there was Dodgility, Strengthness, and Mana, there'd be three to have a tradeoff between. Bukkar could forgo Dodgility to gain more Strengthness and M-anger Points. So he'd take damage easier and not be able to shoot well, but he'd inflict harder damage, have more HP to sustain damage, and be able to use his M-anger abilities.

Anyway, off for a few hours so will ponder it.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 118