Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 118

Author Topic: Roll to Dungeon Quest - It's not you, it's me.  (Read 181278 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Dungeon Quest - Aha!
« Reply #1545 on: September 04, 2014, 12:03:24 pm »

Strength would (I assume) also be used for non-combat situations in your standard "move heavy thing" tasks, so it's got other utility.

If you use MP as is (which I'm cool with) I would suggest multiplying the numbers by 5 or 10 or so (as in each point you spend gives you 10 MP, regen 10 a turn) to allow a bit more fine-grain tuning of spells.  For example, Wind Blast I might cost 8 MP, while Wind Blast II cost 10, or something along those lines.  This can be done the same for HP, but that's of course optional.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: September 04, 2014, 12:28:59 pm »

That is a sensible idea, Toaster.

Has anyone had to move anything heavy yet?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: September 04, 2014, 12:37:59 pm »

I... think... so?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: September 04, 2014, 12:46:33 pm »

Roñardo's had to toss me in a barrel.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: September 04, 2014, 02:12:17 pm »

Hmm, well. It all really comes down to what people do. I had a mental list, but it kept growing; it was something like: talking, shooting, being shot at, smashing, being smashed, doing magic, doing more specific things (such as sneaking or riding), dodging stuff, spotting stuff.

I thought that I could use Dodgility and Strengthness, but have them as more... passive stats. So Dodgility would affect dodging: traps, explosions, falling rocks and missile attacks, probably, but NOT melee. Strengthitude would affect HP and physical strength, but NOT melee. Combat could either be affected by different stats, which seems not optimal, or by specific abilities (such as Whiz's +1 to crossbows), which would leave space for 1-2 other stats (in addition to Mana). But none of the other activities - even talking - gets done as much as things related to Dodgility and Strengthness, so those 1-2 stats (such as Perception, or Brain, or Being Social And Stuff) would conceivably be quite weak and pointless.

(I also like the idea of not having a talking-related stat and this being done by RP, which, if it's in character, should work at least as well, but possibly isn't fair)

The point of introducing the stats was to offer some fairness between characters when turning cooldown spells into MP spells. I don't recall the logic behind this train of thought though.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: September 04, 2014, 02:49:43 pm »

Strength would (I assume) also be used for non-combat situations in your standard "move heavy thing" tasks, so it's got other utility.

It's not a use of strength that gets used much, similarly how your knowledge of architecture is used less often than it theoretically could be during a dungeon crawl. Fact is, only place where Strength matters is in combat, sort of like how the only thing Toughness really matters for is getting HP. You can also use Strength to jump, swim, climb, walk around on your hands and other things that you don't do unless the GM makes a concerted, persistent effort to include these things into play as being strictly necessary. The utility is there theoretically, but not practically. So combining Strength and Toughness (Constitution) puts it roughly on par, balance-wise, with something like Dexterity (when said dexterity somehow combines the attributes of speed, agility and the actual definition of dexterity at the same time).

Hmm, well. It all really comes down to what people do. I had a mental list, but it kept growing; it was something like: talking, shooting, being shot at, smashing, being smashed, doing magic, doing more specific things (such as sneaking or riding), dodging stuff, spotting stuff.

I thought that I could use Dodgility and Strengthness, but have them as more... passive stats. So Dodgility would affect dodging: traps, explosions, falling rocks and missile attacks, probably, but NOT melee. Strengthitude would affect HP and physical strength, but NOT melee. Combat could either be affected by different stats, which seems not optimal, or by specific abilities (such as Whiz's +1 to crossbows), which would leave space for 1-2 other stats (in addition to Mana). But none of the other activities - even talking - gets done as much as things related to Dodgility and Strengthness, so those 1-2 stats (such as Perception, or Brain, or Being Social And Stuff) would conceivably be quite weak and pointless.

(I also like the idea of not having a talking-related stat and this being done by RP, which, if it's in character, should work at least as well, but possibly isn't fair)

The point of introducing the stats was to offer some fairness between characters when turning cooldown spells into MP spells. I don't recall the logic behind this train of thought though.

Dodgility and Strengthitude being used for combat as well would probably make more sense, I think, especially with how combat-heavy this game tends to be.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: September 04, 2014, 03:40:09 pm »

Dodgility and Strengthitude being used for combat as well would probably make more sense, I think, especially with how combat-heavy this game tends to be.

Yes, that probably does make sense. Dodgility would probably then add a bonus to missile attacks and missile/melee defence, and Strengthitude would add to melee attack. Then bonuses to any other more specific actions such as talking and perceiving would probably be better handled by individual character's ability bonuses, as if they are made a stat-related bonus then that stat will be quite underpowered compared to D/S/M(ana).

So I will (I might even not change my mind after sleeping on it!) use Dodgility, Strengthitude, and Magitellience... er... Magisdom... Magisma. Mindpowah. And therefore reduce the amount of points to spend to... 4+character level (i.e. 8 total, for you) where 0-1=-1; 2-3=0; 4-6=+1; 7-10=+2 bonuses and Strengthitude x10=HP and Mana x10=MP.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: September 05, 2014, 06:38:07 am »

Right then – how about all this? I made example stat distributions just to see if it balances and should work, which I think the below should. If it seems acceptable, please post a stat distribution for your character, and then I/we can start working on translating the abilities and balancing stuff.

Stats: There are THREE stats. You have 4 (+1 per character level) points to distribute amongst them.
Stats affect rolls thus: 0-1=-1 to rolls; 2-3=0; 4-6=+1; 7-10=+2.
Dodgility:
Strengthitude: (additionally, 1=+10HP in addition to 5HP per character level, plus a 10HP Hero bonus)
Mentalism: (additionally, 1=5 points, which are regained at the rate of 5 per non-bleeding/burning non-combat turn.)

Code: [Select]
[b]Dodgility:[/b]
[b]Strengthitude:[/b]
[b]Mentalism:[/b]

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: September 05, 2014, 07:41:32 am »

Your example's pretty much spot on for Tackov.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: September 05, 2014, 10:37:50 am »

Lady Foxglove complains through the fourth wall, reeking of cultured outrage, squid riding, and her favorite perfume, odeur de l'argent.

"My stats would be much higher than that! I'm much smarter than Tacky or Whiz, and Sylvanna is not nearly as Dodgilicious as me. Not to mention as majestic, graceful, imperious, or...humble."

She turns her nose up in the GM's general direction, to show how disappointed she is in his obvious impartiality.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: September 05, 2014, 12:20:17 pm »

That works well for Gervedder, I'd say (the stat block actually for him, I mean).

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: September 05, 2014, 12:28:11 pm »

Seems good!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: September 05, 2014, 04:09:33 pm »

Pfft, mental powers. Who needs em when you can just give your creations like fourteen brains?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: September 09, 2014, 07:59:40 am »

I'll add the rest as I get them done. There's only one room left on this level of the dungeon so it'd be nice to crack on. The colours are terrifying, incidentally.

The first short sheet is for the turn posts, the long sheet is probably for the second OP.

Spoiler: Players (click to show/hide)

Current Players:
Spoiler: Tackov Cedtry, Toaster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Whiz, Chink (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 11:10:05 am by lawastooshort »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Dungeon Quest - Dun Dun Dun!!!
« Reply #1559 on: September 10, 2014, 11:20:25 am »

Right so I've done any changes discussed, where were we?

Surely we were about to kick in the door and wave in the metaphorical 44? Yeah!

So unless anyone objects, I will come to some kind of arrangement regarding Bukkar's head, and we can proceed to the final room on this level of the dungeon!

As soon as I get time. Which might be tomorrow. Bukkar's actual new sheet is not shown above - I'm pretty feverishly excited about his newly improved capacity for self- and team- harm. Tackov's too, actually. And Sylvanna's promise to construct an elephant solely made of brains.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 118