Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 118

Author Topic: Roll to Dungeon Quest - It's not you, it's me.  (Read 181017 times)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Roll to Dungeon Quest - Prelude - Turn Zero
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2013, 07:46:23 am »

Turn Zero

”Hmm… Very good. Before you go, perhaps a little instruction would be… instructive. The world you will travel to is known as Istria. It is similar to our own, but different. The light of Lumithos, for example, has never shown down there; the rule of law has never prospered, the Eternal Vibration was never felt. The world was never… balanced.”

The magnificently bearded one paces back and forth whilst speaking. Before him the twelve motley hopefuls listen in front of his desk, paying more attention to one another than to the speaking beard.

Some immediately notice the tall attractive woman in black; perhaps the weaker willed turn straight away to the luminously-garbed and equally tall man standing next to her. His eyes… remind one strangely of cows.

Then there are the mages: one modestly robed young man, in brown; a purple robed skinny man with eccentric and vaguely blue hair; and another, whose features are lost under the brim of his hat and behind the wide reach of his enormous eyebrows. Imposing eyebrows. Eyebrows of… power.

”So. The Magical Mandolin of Lumithos, which will restore the balance of our world, and so bring peace and law once more, is supposed, by many, to be down there, on Istria. It is in three parts, says the prophecy. The portal will take you somewhere near the first part: the body, used in terrible sacrifice. I can do no better than ‘near’…The second is the neck, hidden in the great forests. The last part is the floating bridge, made out of a secret metal and rumoured to be the crowning glory of the greatest treasure in the world – but that is just the poetry of the prophecy, perhaps. Once all three are found, you will have to find a way to travel back to this world: a suitably strong mage should be able to do this; if you are not returned before a quarter year I shall seek you out myself. Then it will just be a matter of playing the Holy Note upon the summit of Mount Davidius, and the world will be saved.”

He hesitates a little before going on; the adventurers continue to eye one another up.

One man looks like a grubby street thug, dressed only in red, with red hair and a seemingly glowing head. Another red-clothed man stands near him, leaning wearily on an ill-kept sword. Someone who seems to have wandered in from the nearest farmer’s field leans too, this time on a long and presumably deadly wooden stick. Next to him there is a shifty looking woman with an evil look in her eye and a hand in one of the innumerable pockets that seem to form her cloak.

”Although the legends say that the Magical Mandolin played some part in creating the magic we use today, I have, in the past, visited Istria. My powers seemed not undiminished; but then, I did not travel prodigiously widely. Now, go. May the best five win. Hmm… Wait…”

There is also a tough looking soldier, clearly a veteran of the southern wars; and a strangely monstrous thing no one seems to have noticed come in with them. Nobody notices the smallest amongst them, either, a small creature in a corner that you couldn’t describe later even if you’d stared at him for a minute. He seems really quite generic.

The wizard counts you again, silently.

”Oh. The best six. Anyway. Enormous piles of gold await you on your return, if that’s what you’re into.”

The wizard’s chambers are about a hundred and ten metres long – the portal to Istria at the other end is probably two turn’s worth of uninterrupted sprint away.

Apart from the thick wooden desk by the door, the long narrow room is quite bare: dark coloured hanging drapes cover the naked stone walls, a pair of chests of drawers sit behind the desk, a large and sinister looking wardrobe stands off to one side.

He turns away from the group of would-be heroes and leaves the room.

Eyes flit from one adventurer to another; from the portal and back to the group again.

Spoiler: tl;dr? (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: GM’s note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 03:50:40 pm by lawastooshort »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Dungeon Quest - Prelude - Turn Zero
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2013, 05:44:24 am »

Crikey. Add me officially to the waitlist, too.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2013, 11:27:27 am »

The woman in black leaned over and stretched her calves-left, then right. In slow motion.

"...I suppose the real question is, which of you men is really worthy to fight alongside me...to be with me....personally, I'd choose...hmm..." She queried with a soft, imploring tone whilst looking to snare every gaze-she was one that demanded attention, and promised reward, if you had an imagination and an eye for beauty. Though her lithe body also betrayed no tenseness, she was actually preparing to sprint. This particular sentence would never be finished.

All she needed was a moment of their hesitation...
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2013, 11:29:33 am »

The man with the GREAT FLAMINGBUSHY EYEBROWS and FANTABULOUS HAT huffed.

"I'll be seeing you at the finish line then."
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2013, 11:44:47 am »

"Let set this shindig aflame, shall we?"
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2013, 11:58:27 am »

"Heeeey... I think we're all forgetting one important aspect here. What about those cabinets? Just imagine what kind of loot you could find inside. Could probably keep me fed a few months..."
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2013, 01:38:52 pm »

Beral leers silently at his competition. At two of them, anyhow.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2013, 01:50:55 pm »

"Eh."
The guardsman Shrugged, not really caring.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Roll to Dungeon Quest - Prelude - Turn One
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2013, 04:02:24 pm »

Turn One

And they’re off… thinks the magnificent wizard as the door creaks shut behind him. He rolls some cotton wool between thumb and finger, puts a lump in each ear, and sits down in a chair beside the door.

He appears to nod off.

Inside, there’s a moment’s silence as a dozen adventurers stare each other down.

And then a sudden burst of wild and screaming activity!

Action: Use witty, engaging and charming social tactics-to quickly distract the male competitors and dash off while they are confused and fighting over me.

Wait! No! In the depths of Roybeck Castle, towering over the small royal city of Roybeck, there is a sudden burst of quietly provocative stretching, of slightly-too long lingering eye contact, of meaningful smiles, of charming bons mots, of...

"...I suppose the real question is, which of you men is really worthy to fight alongside me...to be with me....personally, I'd choose...hmm..."

...Lady Foxglove Vainglorious the III elbows the nearest fool in the face and sprints off elegantly into the distance!

”Haha, idiots! See you on the other side!”

Wait for someone else to start running, Flaming Foot them in the ass, run to the portal.

Lady Foxglove is immediately followed by Bukkar Crangrom the red-haired Rager, who confusedly ...tries to grope her backside with his foot, trips over, and starts crawling towards the closed door!

Run towards the portal.

Hopping over the floored eejit comes the suspiciously non-adventurous looking peasant, Nedenir Adaros! ...Bounding like some kind of farm animal he successfully runs!

Let's go ahead and Wind Step and run for it.

Which is perhaps what Tackov Cedtry does too – who knows? ...The brown cloaked mage suddenly disappears, and there's as if a slight breeze in the direction of the portal.

Teleport self full length in the portals direction. Then move toward it at an (Admittedly fast) leisurely pace.

"I'll be seeing you at the finish line then," hat-tips the next magicky type along, realising he's been had: waving his arms subtly through the air and uttering a complicated phrase in the secret language of aetheric sorcerology, he ...successfully makes nothing happen!

...Not wanting to make it look like such a powerful display is anything but an everyday occurrence, Derm nonchalantly strolls in a slight diagonal towards the portal.

RUN LIKE HEEELL. If I'm the undisputed lead, good. If there's only one person sprinting along, REDACTED pitied. If there's two or more, settle for a comfortable third place and bide my chance to strike.

"See you, suckers!" shouts the only other woman, sprinting furiously after Lady Foxglove, immediately shooting ahead of the following pack and closing in.

...Medha sticks her hand into one of her many pockets, mumbling some kind of evil language based on hacking and phlegming as she runs, staring at the back of Lady Foxglove's head with a disturbingly intense look of satisfaction.

Start running toward the gate and yell loudly to everyone that they should make way for Messenger Regiment 4, hopefully catching them unaware and getting them far enough out of the way to cement a decent lead.

Right behind Medha the Curse Crafter is Gervedder the Luminously-Garbed. ...With his back straight as a ramrod and his knees pumping up high, he storms after he shouting at the top of his voice about something something Messenger Regiment 4 something!

Every single person in the room turns towards him and instinctively takes a few steps out of the way!

Activate Gee, Mr. Whiz, You Sure Are Fast, and Shield 1, than sprint for the portal as fast as I can.

Not far behind is the wizard Whiz, whizzing his arms about in the air doing some kind of wizardry: ...suddenly his arms seems to whiz twice as fast, ...and then even more suddenly a magical field of wizardly power seems to shimmer into whizzing existence around him! ...He whizzes off as fast as he can towards the portal!

Despite running like a new born giraffe and blinking like a traumatised mole he all but catches up with the Luminous Messenger!

Sprint for the portal while shouting at the others,

Beral despairs! He thinks he's missed his chance! He can't let the two ladies get away!

"Hey, ladies!" he screams at the top of his tiny high pitched voice, pointing frantically at his face with both forefingers, "This piece of hotness right here? AVAILABLE!"

...Without even waiting to see if Foxglove and Medha hear, his tiny generic legs whir into action like a toy helicopter as he bursts past the sprinting pack to get a good look at their backsides! His lechery is quite excessive! But luckily not visible to the two women slightly ahead of the rest!

Lenneth does the Guardsman walk into the portal.

...Having nearly fallen asleep during the long talk about something and the banjolin in the dragon and the trees or something, Lenneth starts at the sound of frenzied footsteps, jumping into the air several inches and running straight into the nearby wardrobe.

...The wardrobe fights back, opening and shutting with righteous anger and leaving blood pouring from Lenneth's face!

Wound Acquired: Lenneth Hardy: Very Heavy Bleeding!

Blarg roars and summons a ferocious cow to aid him in battle!

Witnessing this hideous violence makes Blarg Gargleson, Monstrous Thing, reflect. He needs aid! He needs an ally! He needs...

...A FIRE BREATHING COW-DEMON!

Suddenly materialising, Albert the Fire Breathing Cow-Demon is the height of two grown cows, the width of two grown cows, and the colour of two angry demons!

She immediately spins round in a confused and incredibly angry circle, blasting fire out of her nostrils at everyone she sees!

...Miraculously everyone escapes without so much as-

Be the last off the start line and barrel through people toward the portal.

... Suddenly Richard Haze runs screaming into the nearest wall with joy! He's on fire! He runs in a circle and rubs himself up against the corner of the wizard's desk.

It sets on fire too!

Spoiler: Leaderboard (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: GM’s notes (click to show/hide)

edit - yes, continue to PM your actions.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 04:13:22 pm by lawastooshort »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Dungeon Quest - Prelude - Turn One
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2013, 04:12:03 pm »

GO TASTE YER OWN FACE!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2013, 04:12:21 pm »

"Mahahaha! Burn!"
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2013, 04:32:15 pm »

Go, baby, go!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 04:33:56 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2013, 04:34:04 pm »

WHY DID YOU YELL WHAT YOU'RE DOING?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2013, 04:38:36 pm »

For some reason people always forget I'm around. It helps remind them that I exist! It also opens up potential trees of deception! Now excuse me, I've got women to chase.

3. Run Resize Enable

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2013, 06:41:56 pm »

Tackov kept his mouth shut.  He had survived his childhood by letting his older brothers be obvious- no sense doing something different here.  He should make it...
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 118