Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: a random idea I had  (Read 3507 times)

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: a random idea I had
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 12:26:37 pm »

A DF tileset *is* something I want to do, but I was specifically thinking either platformer or JRPG flavor, with preference for a castlevania like platformer.

I'd do a DF tileset, but I want a comprehensive list of all the animals in the game, without having to play "cull all the entity data from 20 different raw files". That way I can check them off as each is completed.

I don't really play any JRPG or platformers that would qualify for tilesets. I'm also just discovering the wonderful world of roguelikes. (Could use some suggestions for those and platformers, but I really don't want to derail the thread.

However, I would actually be up for compiling a full list of creatures in DF if you want to go through the drawings :)
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 03:11:59 pm »

Sounds good.

I will do the cyborg lincoln tonight if possible. The part I have to program tonight isn't due for another 10 days at least, so I can stea some time tonight, possibly.

If you can get me an orderly list of all the entities in DF, so I can slog though it, I'll make 128x128 tiles. Just be aware that DF really needs 16x16 tiles unless you only want to see the trade depot in the viewport. :D

Maybe somebody will like them enough to try redrawing them at 16x16 or 32x32, which would be more appropriate for DF.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 03:54:04 pm »

Basically, there are 5 major "kinds" of sprite tilesets:

Platformer (megaman, Castlevania, Supermario, etc...)
JRPG (FinalFantasy, Seiken Densetsu, legend of zelda, et al.)
Side Scroller (Double Dragon, TMNT, ninja gaiden, et al.)
Isoparametric (Landstalker, simcity 2000, age of empires, Diablo I and II, etc.)
Rogue-like (2D, Topdown games like DF, Rouge, Nethack, etc.)

I suggest that you try drawing a DF forgotten beast as a Castlevania enemy. :)

About pixel art programs, I'd recommend taking a look at GrafX2.
Quote from: The blurb
GrafX2 is a bitmap paint program inspired by the Amiga programs Deluxe Paint and Brilliance. Specialized in 256-color drawing, it includes a very large number of tools and effects that make it particularly suitable for pixel art, game graphics, and generally any detailed graphics painted with a mouse. The program is mostly developed on Linux and Windows, but is also portable on many other platforms.
On the mundane side, it has layers, transparency and tools for dithered gradients. More exotic things include palette cycling, non-square pixels and scripting support. Also there is basically no support for images with more than 256 colors, for reasons of both code and nostalgia. 24-bit color? What nonsense is this? :P

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 09:02:03 pm »

Ok, as promised, One Cyborg Lincoln, (with battle damage!)

He doesn't have his gentleman's cane, but he has something even better!

Now, how about that list of animals?!

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2013, 12:56:34 am »

Ok, as promised, One Cyborg Lincoln, (with battle damage!)

He doesn't have his gentleman's cane, but he has something even better!

Now, how about that list of animals?!

Love that lincoln! Maybe I'll throw some of my ideas your way, when I can remember them :P

I'll see what I can do about the animal list on the weekend, and will try to have something for Saturday or Sunday.

Also, the 128x128 would make GREAT additions to the wiki!
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2013, 01:00:42 am »

Could you draw an onion with alterior motives?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2013, 01:20:00 am »

"Alterior Motives"?

What kind of Onion are you looking for here?

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2013, 01:24:41 am »

One that doesnt plan on being served up with perogies but instead wants to pursue a life of crime. I imagine him owning siamese fighting fish and feeding them kerosene to make them tough.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 01:53:29 am »

I'm too impatient to wait for CognitiveDissonance.

Here's the full list, by the .txt they're in.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In an ideal world, I would've saved the description tags for everything too, but that would've added a lot more work.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2013, 02:22:51 am »

Wow.. that will takw a very long time...

Looks like I will be starting on a bluejay tomorrow then.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2013, 09:44:35 am »

I'm too impatient to wait for CognitiveDissonance.

Booo :P Thanks for doing that! What I can do is parse it into google docs so it's easier to look at, and mark off as complete. I'm at work, with access to google docs blocked, but I'll do so after.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2013, 03:16:38 pm »

Being an old fogey, I despise nearly everything related to "cloud computing."  That includes Google Docs and pals.

(Feels too much like a thin client, and I like my data where I can physically my hands on the storage device.)

A local NAS is all the more "cloudy" I want to be with my data, thank you. :D (I compromise with photobucket, as just an image cache of images I have purposefully pushed for sharing. Cloud computing in general wants *all* of my data, and that won't fly with me.) Naturally, I simply WON'T use google docs, or any other such cloud data service.

I will just clone the textual list, and cross off the entries one at a time.

Fortune willing, I will make a bluejay, and Amenable's "Gnarly Onion" tonight.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2013, 03:20:26 pm »

Being an old fogey, I despise nearly everything related to "cloud computing."  That includes Google Docs and pals.

(Feels too much like a thin client, and I like my data where I can physically my hands on the storage device.)

A local NAS is all the more "cloudy" I want to be with my data, thank you. :D (I compromise with photobucket, as just an image cache of images I have purposefully pushed for sharing. Cloud computing in general wants *all* of my data, and that won't fly with me.) Naturally, I simply WON'T use google docs, or any other such cloud data service.

I will just clone the textual list, and cross off the entries one at a time.

FINE THEN! I'LL JUST DO NOTHING! WATCH ME!  >:(

Hehe, I really look forward to your renditions! And once you get going, I do think they would make a fine addition to DFWiki critter pages. Would you be okay with that?

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2013, 03:24:10 pm »

sounds sexy

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2013, 07:50:52 pm »

This bluejay is kickin my butt. Taking much longer than an hour. All those damned feather patterns!

At least the onion will be easy. :D

***update

Ok, one bluejay
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 08:50:24 pm by wierd »
Pages: 1 [2] 3