Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Plaintive Gesture  (Read 12319 times)

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
Re: Plaintive Gesture
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 03:44:04 pm »

Huh. And here I was assuming that it meant they were flipping someone off! This completely changes the context for me ._.

^this >.<
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Dwarf73

• Bay Watcher
  • beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 04:23:08 pm »

Huh. And here I was assuming that it meant they were flipping someone off! This completely changes the context for me ._.

Thats exactly what I thought too. All those engravings make sense now...

Damn you all, ruined it totally, I always thought it was like showing middle finger or making a face...my dwarfs do that a lot middle of fight, doesn't make a sense now does it... *makes a plaintive gesture to all who ruined the word*  :P

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 04:55:27 pm »

For some odd reason, I always imagined it was a gesture of uncaring. Like a shrug or something.

This. I vaguely remember 'learning' the word in high school, but for some reason thought it meant apathy until recently.

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2013, 08:34:23 pm »

worst word ever. how about "x is begging for mercy / pleading for their life / groveling on behalf of their finely-designed mechanism"? like i dunno, something that actually evokes the meaning you are attempting to communicate.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2013, 12:59:10 am »

It would evoke the meaning if the reader had the vocabulary to parse it correctly.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2013, 01:13:13 am »

i imagine its the gesture when your strangling someone and your on top of them and they desperately reach up with their hands in vain to try to get you to stop. Except replace the strangling part with serrated discs, water, or whatever is doing the killing instead. And also add in wincing and pain to the face as well as look of fear and despair and you have your plaintive gesture.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2013, 01:18:16 am »

worst word ever. how about "x is begging for mercy / pleading for their life / groveling on behalf of their finely-designed mechanism"? like i dunno, something that actually evokes the meaning you are attempting to communicate.

It's not the word's fault you don't know what it means and you didn't bother learning what it meant. We live in an age where information flows freely. There's no excuse for being ignorant of things like this. If you don't know something, you can easily look it up. This is especially true for word definitions.

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2013, 03:18:37 am »

It's not a hard word to figure out. Plaintive, complain, plaintiff. Someone appealing for something from a position of weakness.
Word structure, context clues.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2013, 06:06:37 am »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2013, 06:56:26 am »

This reminds me of the sweetbread thread http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=76008.msg1920037#msg1920037
I found it both amusing and mildly offensive that it escalated from 'eating puppies' to 'most men would rape and murder if they had the chance'.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2013, 12:16:55 pm »

I'm not talking about the definition. I mean the word itself is bland and boring.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2013, 12:29:53 pm »

I'm not talking about the definition. I mean the word itself is bland and boring.
nothing is bland or boring if you use your imagination  ;D

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2013, 01:29:48 pm »

Incorrect.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2013, 01:35:47 pm »

Incorrect.

Your opinion is not fact.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2013, 04:49:55 pm »

Incorrect.
You never owned a cardboard box in your childhood? Or even now?

A shame. It truly is.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5