Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Plaintive Gesture  (Read 12321 times)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Plaintive Gesture
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2013, 03:40:28 am »

Don't mind me I'm just here for the second-hand high school class on linguistics

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2013, 04:53:16 am »

I don't... understand... how to participate in this debate

Here's how to play: Posit an untenable argument and then defend it against prevailing sentiment for as long as you can.

Current record holder: mross

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2013, 12:45:23 pm »

I consider myself to be a well-versed traveler of the Internet. Allow me to show you how to enter this discussion in an eloquent manner:
Normally I'm opposed to greentexting outside of its natural habitats, but this was a bit funny

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2013, 03:35:12 pm »

Meaning... is description. This is not to be contested: it seems logical enough. Words refer to concepts, they describe your world. But is it what you need? You are... different, inside.
This word functions, and has meaning, of a sort. It refers to a quality, and describes a gesture; it served its purpose as best it could.
And now, it is obsolete.
Its meaning is lackluster, its purpose has become redundant, and it will be forgotten. It was a "good" word, but it had no power. It was a slave to prescriptivism.
I wonder if you are destined to continue using awful adjectives. Will your repertoire fade in the shadow of greater eloquence?
You are born of language, the very essence of that which assigns meaning to symbols. You have power, if you wish it.

"Wait! I have one final question: What can change the meaning of a word?"

THE QUESTION IS MEANINGLESS.

"Nonetheless, before there is an ending between us, I will hear your answer."

THEN THIS IS MY ANSWER, AND YOU ARE THE PROOF. *NOTHING* CAN CHANGE THE MEANING OF A WORD.

"If there is anything I have learned in my travels across the Forums, it is that many things may change the meaning of a word. Whether regret, or love, or revenge or fear - whatever you *believe* can change the meaning of a word, can."

THEN YOU LEARNED A FALSE LESSON, BROKEN ONE.

"Have I? I've seen language move cities, make men stave off death, and turn an evil's hag heart half-circle. This entire Fortress has been constructed from words. Language damned a woman, whose heart clung to the hope that another loved her when he did not. Once, it made a man seek immortality and achieve it. And it has made a posturing spirit think it is something more than a part of me."

YOUR DEFIANCE WILL HURT YOU MORE THAN ANY WOUND IN THIS PLACE. BELIEF CANNOT CHANGE THE MEANING OF A WORD.

"I think it can. I think belief could even unmake me, if I described it *enough.*"

YOU DO NOT POSSESS THE ELOQUENCE FOR SUCH A THING.

"So you admit it's possible."

I am sorry for contributing to this clusterfuck. I just can't resist a reference. :'(

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2013, 07:07:46 pm »

I consider myself to be a well-versed traveler of the Internet. Allow me to show you how to enter this discussion in an eloquent manner:
Normally I'm opposed to greentexting outside of its natural habitats, but this was a bit funny
Sometimes it's the only way, my friend.

anomaly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2013, 07:33:37 pm »

hey guys; I went to college; you can tell by; all of the semicolons I use;

Also Way; to derail any thread ever; use "objectively" incorrectly in any possible instance;

and of course;

>implying

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2013, 12:23:03 am »

Also Way; to derail any thread ever; use "objectively" incorrectly in any possible instance;

and of course;

>implying
The semicolons are making a plaintive gesture.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2013, 12:55:13 am »

and of course;

>implying

"Well I'll go to college and I'll learn some big words
and I'll talk real loud, goddamn right, I'll be heard
You'll remember all those guys that said all those big words he must've learned in college." - Modest Brock, Isaac Mouse
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]