Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marks Dwarfs not picking up quivers  (Read 1356 times)

TheEngine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Marks Dwarfs not picking up quivers
« on: April 16, 2013, 09:53:27 pm »

I've been having this problem recently where my marks dwarfs do not automatically pickup quivers and  therefore charge into battle without them, how do i assign quivers to them if i can / what could be causing them not to pick the quivers up (i have at least 30 in a easily accessible stockpile)

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marks Dwarfs not picking up quivers
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 05:10:40 am »

Dwarves will automatically pick up quivers when you assign them ammunition from the military screen.

[m] for military then [f] for ammunition. There you can then customize weather each of your militia squads needs ammo and what kind of ammo they'll use as well as set weather they train, fight or both with the set ammo. You can also do the same for hunters in this screen too (though setting training only ammo is kind of useless).

Personally I just find the most abundant metal on my embark and set my markdwarves to both train and fight with it. I haven't had much success with separate bolts, but then I haven't tried very hard either.

burchalka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 02:31:52 pm »

I don't think the bug that prevented using separate ammo for combat vs. Training was fixed. So a general advice is "use same ammo for combat and training. "

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 02:50:05 pm »

I don't think the bug that prevented using separate ammo for combat vs. Training was fixed. So a general advice is "use same ammo for combat and training. "
Or just control their choices by availability.  If you never make anything but metal bolts, they'll use metal bolts.

lwCoyote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 04:02:50 pm »

Pretty much why I only ever use bone bolts, and melt down metal bolts for bars. Plus love seeing "Vile McGoblin was hit in the head by =Chicken Bone Bolt= tearing through the skull and smashing the brain!" or whatnot
This is an exceptional obsidian statue of Daral Darkscab.
The item is an exceptionally designed image of Daral Darkscab the dwarf and a slag bar (massive) in obsidian by Ksoth Lolorumril. Daral Darkscab is raising the slag bar (massive). The artwork relates to the masterful slag bar (massive) created by the dwarf Daral Darkscab for the Corridor of Matyrs at Monstergores in the late spring of 312.

I'm so glad my masons have chosen to memorialize the really important events.

mobucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 04:21:53 pm »

I recently had a similar issue where a new squad did not pick up any bolts. It turned out, I had 2000 bolts assigned to Squad A, and ~2000 bolts in the entire fortress. Different squads don't share assigned bolts. Just a heads up.

TheEngine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 11:15:35 am »

Thanks again for the help, when you asign say ~250 some bolts to your squad will they choose only one type of bolt for that 250 or will they carry a random asortment, aswell will they carry 250 each or is that for the whole squad.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 12:22:24 pm »

Pretty much why I only ever use bone bolts, and melt down metal bolts for bars. Plus love seeing "Vile McGoblin was hit in the head by =Chicken Bone Bolt= tearing through the skull and smashing the brain!" or whatnot

Bone and wood bolts utterly suck.  It can take ten times as many shots to incapacitate a hostile with bone bolts than it does with a simple copper ones.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 12:06:44 am »

They need backpacks too. Source: adventure mode, can't put one of without, not if you are holding a crossbow.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 12:32:24 am »

Bone and wood bolts utterly suck.  It can take ten times as many shots to incapacitate a hostile with bone bolts than it does with a simple copper ones.

Yah, 25% damage of an iron bolt I believe. 

Which is why I direly wish that bug were fixed so we could use wooden bolts to shoot enemies in pits and then metal bolts to shoot enemies outside of pits.  Switching back and forth worked for about an in-game year, and then it all went tits up, bugged out my quivers, and now they can't use wooden bolts at all, and only half the time use metal bolts now.  There's an abundance of both types. 
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 09:34:06 am »

I find wood bolts to be effective enough. They're cheaper to make, and more likely than not I'll get a Woodcrafter mood, so masterwork bolts are plentiful. Plus, most of my bolts tend to hit areas that are not properly armored, like the hands or legs, which can be pretty effective pain dealers. And that's saying nothing of their use on wildlife.

I'd avoid bone, though. You only get 5 bolts a stack, unlike 25 for everything else.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 10:55:35 am »

I find wood bolts to be effective enough. They're cheaper to make, and more likely than not I'll get a Woodcrafter mood, so masterwork bolts are plentiful. Plus, most of my bolts tend to hit areas that are not properly armored, like the hands or legs, which can be pretty effective pain dealers. And that's saying nothing of their use on wildlife.

I'd avoid bone, though. You only get 5 bolts a stack, unlike 25 for everything else.
Some people might have more renewable bone stocks than wood stocks though. In some cases bone is definitely the cheapest alternative.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 11:01:02 am »

I basically either have squads training up with access to archery ranges using bone and wood bolts or fully-militarized squads using metal bolts and not using ranges any longer.  A couple of six-dwarf squads will burn through training bolts, but it is one way to get rid of excess bone and wood, especially for a metal-poor fort.

The main reason I do this is to ensure that if a siege occurs at least some of my squads have bolts.  A few times too many where the squads burned up all the bolts in the fort at the ranges.

If I am swimming in copper or iron I'll consider just giving everyone bolts of that metal.  But you do need to keep an eye on the supply.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart