Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Elite Liberal "Solicit Donations" Thread  (Read 12932 times)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Elite Liberal "Solicit Donations" Thread
« on: April 20, 2013, 01:22:05 am »

I want to make another major release of Liberal Crime Squad. I also want to avoid getting "EVICTION NOTICE: Fox's Parents' House. Possessions go to the shelter."

• Activate Liberals -> Jonathan S. Fox -> Engaging in Liberal Activism -> Community Service
    Jonathan S. Fox will add features to enhance, expand, and deepen Liberal Crime Squad while maintaining his traditional focus on balance and thematic coherence.
  • Liberal Fundraising -> Solicit Donations
    Jonathan S. Fox will walk around and ask for donations to the LCS. Based on persuasion, public's view of the cause, and how well dressed the activist is.

Any donations will be recorded here in a record of the Liberal Elite. If you do not want your name or username recorded, you'll be recorded as an anonymous Sleeper Agent. (It is to my personal benefit to publicize that people are donating, even if you'd rather stay anonymous.) Any donations of $10 or more have the option of recording a feature request as well. I've already been doing this informally for some previous supporters. However, I don't promise to necessarily fulfill feature requests from people who donate -- in fact, I promise the opposite, that I will maintain design integrity and not compromise the game's quality for a mercenary impulse. Furthermore, I will continue to take, and act on, requests from people who don't donate. However, I do like giving back to those who give to me, and it would be an honor to give some extra focus to good ideas favored by those who want to support me.

Liberal Code Name   Donation   
Amount
Feature RequestFulfilled?
Capital Fish$120Bank Robbery,
Unique/Rare Vehicles,
National LCS
Bank Heists: 4.06.1
National LCS: 4.07.1 (in progress!)
usr_share$50Improved random maps
Sleeper Agent$50
Sleeper Agent$50
KA101 & Shade$40Moddable NPC gear & site specials,
deeper gang interactions
Little$40
ed boy$30XML location data
Sleeper Agent$25
mainiac$20Stay classyClassiness Achieved: 4.07.2
Tenmillimaster$15Monthly special events
(assassinations, celebrity kidnappings...)
Sleeper Agent$12Destroy CCS w/
Intelligence Data Disk
CCS Backer List: 4.06.3
BoxOfAids$10Direct Action vs. Justices,
Expanded Trials
Sleeper Agent$10
Sleeper Agent$6

What does donating support, if you aren't getting a feature request? I'm currently sketching out a design to allow you to visit the White House, and get into all sorts of relevant trouble, up to and including attacking the President and/or turning him or her into a sleeper agent. You can trust that I have no intention of making this easy, and that I have every intention of making this awesome. However, it will take time, which means I need your support. For which you will find me exceptionally grateful.

Please feel free to email me (jonathansfox@gmail.com) or send me a forum PM if you would like to claim one of the Sleeper Agent entries or otherwise want to discuss something confidential.

Notes:
1. If you're recorded as a Sleeper Agent and would like to claim your donation for the table, just send me a PM mentioning the name or email address associated with the PayPal donation you've made, and the name you want shown in the table.
2. If I misrepresent your feature request somehow, feel free to say something. It's not my intent to do so.
3. I'm aware that some high-profile cases have occurred where people have had trouble with PayPal and donations. There are a number of reasons why I'm not concerned, starting with the fact that the policies in question are designed to prevent fraud, not defraud legitimate uses. Anyway, let me worry about that; if anyone is at risk, it's me, not you.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 01:58:17 pm by Jonathan S. Fox »

Capital Fish

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hi Mister Dog!"
    • View Profile
Re: Liberal Fundraising -> Solicit Donations
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 12:58:40 pm »

I'm currently sketching out a design to allow you to visit the White House, and get into all sorts of relevant trouble, up to and including attacking the President and/or turning him or her into a sleeper agent. You can trust that I have no intention of making this easy, and that I have every intention of making this awesome. However, it will take time, which means I need your support. For which you will find me exceptionally grateful.

Does this mean we might someday see a return to the ideas suggested here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=30871.msg422950#msg422950
Find the errors in the above post and win a prize!

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 01:33:47 pm »

I'm currently sketching out a design to allow you to visit the White House, and get into all sorts of relevant trouble, up to and including attacking the President and/or turning him or her into a sleeper agent. You can trust that I have no intention of making this easy, and that I have every intention of making this awesome. However, it will take time, which means I need your support. For which you will find me exceptionally grateful.

Does this mean we might someday see a return to the ideas suggested here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=30871.msg422950#msg422950

...that wasn't what I had in mind specifically, but I have to say, re-reading that thread makes that sound a lot less daunting. I really do make that sound easy. I'll certainly consider it.

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 01:58:58 pm »

I'd dough out some cash, but in the backwoods country that I live in using PayPal is like summoning demons via necronomicon - you can't find a necronomicon anywhere around.

....I think you oughta change this thread's title, the current one doesn't seem to bring too much PUBLIC INTEREST.

Try something more ELITE LIBERAL.

BoxOfAids

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 02:28:43 pm »

I'll see if I can send a bit of moolah your way, Fox. I'll need to get around to setting up a paypal first (I've been meaning to anyway).

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 02:18:37 am »

I want to give a SUPER THANK YOU to the people who have supported me and donated. It really does help me -- it's not only the financial aid, but the psychological knowledge that what I'm doing with the game is worthwhile. I've just pushed 3.07 -- big thanks to all the code contributors as well for that -- and my intention is to continue working on the game with some follow-up releases. I've done some groundwork for the aforementioned White House raid option, and cleaned up the code for site data a bit to make it easier to wrestle with the prospect of National Crime Squad features.

I'd dough out some cash, but in the backwoods country that I live in using PayPal is like summoning demons via necronomicon - you can't find a necronomicon anywhere around.

....I think you oughta change this thread's title, the current one doesn't seem to bring too much PUBLIC INTEREST.

Try something more ELITE LIBERAL.

If you'd like to mail me a check, send me a PM and I'll give you the information to do that. Otherwise, I appreciate the thought! By your suggestion, I've changed the thread title something a little more ELITE LIBERAL.

I'll see if I can send a bit of moolah your way, Fox. I'll need to get around to setting up a paypal first (I've been meaning to anyway).

Thank you! If you need to, you should be able to use a debit/credit card without having a PayPal account.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elite Liberal "Solicit Donations" Thread
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 03:35:43 pm »

Thanks to BoxOfAids! Added to list along with requests for a way to deal directly with Supreme Court Justices and expanded trials -- multiple days of proceedings for higher profile cases, ability to send a squad to the courthouse to sway a case by destroying evidence and swaying the jury.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 12:12:57 am »

I know it is meaningless but I'd definitely donate if I could (and now I actually have the money!). Just that for some reason my bank doesn't like Paypal.

Good luck though!

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 12:25:23 am »

I'll donate later this week.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 06:00:10 pm »

Big thanks to KA101 and Shade, plus two others that didn't specify if they wanted to be named -- anyone who I've listed anonymously, let me know if you'd like to claim your donation.

KA101 wrote asking about data files for moddable NPC loadouts (so you can give them custom gear you've modded in) and the possibility of custom site specials (moddable bank vault, CEO safe, stuff like that), and mentioned gang politics per MetalSlimeHunt's suggestions as a fallback suggestion.

Moddable NPCs is possible, but a little tricky; moddable site specials would be a nightmare, so I have to rule it out. Site specials are complicated because they can do pretty much anything; you really need the full power of the game's code to express them. However, the game is open source, so you're always welcome to really get your hands dirty and edit the code for them -- Deon's mod required significant code edits, for example.

Teh Barple

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 06:41:41 pm »

Big thanks to KA101 and Shade, plus two others that didn't specify if they wanted to be named -- anyone who I've listed anonymously, let me know if you'd like to claim your donation.

KA101 wrote asking about data files for moddable NPC loadouts (so you can give them custom gear you've modded in) and the possibility of custom site specials (moddable bank vault, CEO safe, stuff like that), and mentioned gang politics per MetalSlimeHunt's suggestions as a fallback suggestion.

Moddable NPCs is possible, but a little tricky; moddable site specials would be a nightmare, so I have to rule it out. Site specials are complicated because they can do pretty much anything; you really need the full power of the game's code to express them. However, the game is open source, so you're always welcome to really get your hands dirty and edit the code for them -- Deon's mod required significant code edits, for example.

this would be so great

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 07:23:09 pm »

this would be so great
Technically, I think it was Little's thread that MetalSlimeHunt linked:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31930.msg452426#msg452426
No matter.  The gangs seem like they would keep the player busy once public opinion is Elite Liberal and the Death Squad and CCS were dealt with.

I'm thinking about messing around with the site specials & NPCs myself.  Seems like all it really needs is a one-off critter "Corporate Officer" who has seduction/hostage resistance, some rejigging of sitespecials.cpp, and ideally a multifloor Corporate HQ, but map-modding works already.

"You want political change?  What kind of robbers are you?!"
"Who ever said we were robbers?"

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 07:44:25 pm »

I wouldn't mind being named.  I misunderstood that you needed the naming request to be explicit.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 08:14:08 pm »

I wouldn't mind being named.  I misunderstood that you needed the naming request to be explicit.

Whoops -- that was actually my fault, I recognized your email, but overlooked the message field where you identified yourself. Both of the "anonymous" donations in the last day were not. Thank you!

Thanks also to Tenmillimaster, who requested monthly special events, giving assassinations and celebrity kidnappings as examples. Question: Are these specifically opportunities for you to take special actions? Like a celebrity might visit in a special event, and you can then crash the party and potentially kidnap them?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 08:16:14 pm by Jonathan S. Fox »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 08:37:01 pm »

Stay Classy hasn't been fulfilled? Dang it Jonafox you are getting lazy!
Pages: [1] 2 3