Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: A discussion on weapons, and how they currently function.  (Read 4477 times)

Ihlosi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A discussion on weapons, and how they currently function.
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 06:41:36 am »

Do you like the vague names, or do you want real names?
Knife, Pistol, .45 Semiauto, etc. Do you like it like this, or would you want more real names?

Keep things as generic as possible. Don't even mention the caliber, just make it "light pistol" or "heavy pistol". If you use real names, you'll end up having to implement half a gazillion of different guns (with negligible difference in game terms) just because people complain that their favorite isn't in the game yet.

I would eliminate spray cans as actual items and just subtract some money whenever spray cans are used.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 03:03:22 pm »

As the game only gives you the weapons name we need iconic name like how the  .44 Magnum, is  Dirty Harry's gun it is a large cannon of a pistol.
The .50AE Desert Eagle is this . a massive super sized gun of doom

The ak47 well basicyf this

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Ihlosi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2013, 03:27:48 pm »

As the game only gives you the weapons name we need iconic name like how the  .44 Magnum, is  Dirty Harry's gun it is a large cannon of a pistol.

Actually, it's a revolver.

Obessing about guns is a conservative thing, by the way. Another reason to keep in-game guns generic. For liberals, guns are tools at best, a means to an end. Drooling over manufacturers, models and calibers makes as much sense to liberals as, say, talking about various brands, weights and styles of hammers when all you want to do is pound a nail (or break a window).  :D
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 03:29:27 pm by Ihlosi »

Markus

• Bay Watcher
  • [Alignment:Lawful Bacon]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 04:43:31 pm »

Hm.

On generic versus specific, I am pretty neutral on the argument. Really, we could try for both for best effect-certain iconic guns could be named simply because everyone knows about them. Most, however, should be generic in the interest of ease of use.

On quantity of in game weapons, I feel there does not NEED to be more guns. Really, if we add more guns, what I'd like to see is either:

A:They fill a niche which needs filling, such as the AA-12 as a fully automatic shotgun, or the idea of an anti-tank weapon for the army bases.

Or

B:They are made with some special property in reference to something else-i.e. the Walther PPK isn't very powerful, but as the iconic weapon of Bond, it could be more easily hidden.

Of course, neither of these ideas are mutually exclusive or necessary, but they are there nonetheless.

On the subject of stat balance, I'll leave to those who actually look at the game data.

And finally, on the subject of switching items and weapons-or else some sort of inventory idea, I'm supportive if it's not too much trou-
(crowbars), which would totally eliminate any disguise. . .

No.

Capital Fish

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hi Mister Dog!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2013, 05:25:19 pm »

On the topic of guns, any thoughts on if this could fit into LCS: http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mhl45ediih/the-liberator/

If nothing else, it would allow stealthy Liberals to sneak firearms past metal detectors.
Find the errors in the above post and win a prize!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2013, 05:26:23 pm »

The metal detectors don't seem to be working properly in my game anyway, I can usually get a magnum through.

Ihlosi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2013, 01:55:14 am »

B:They are made with some special property in reference to something else-i.e. the Walther PPK isn't very powerful, but as the iconic weapon of Bond, it could be more easily hidden.

There are probably several dozen models of handguns that fill the same niche, with the only exception that they weren't used by JB.

"Small pistol" is all that's necessary in game terms. Well, in liberal terms, it would be "Small-but-still-way-too-deadly pistol".  :D

tenmillimaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2013, 09:06:57 pm »

The term we're looking for for these small weapons that are easily hidden is Saturday Night Special, fellas. They're cheap, crude and shitty guns that are supposedly only sold to criminal elements and are of suspect quality...

I think they are within the realm of LCS's scope.  They're a Hot ticket on the Liberal Agenda. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_night_special

Modern implementations such as the wiki weapon project (the plastic liberator, which I donated to) follow the same idea as far as sensible liberal insights go...

Ihlosi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2013, 12:34:28 pm »

The term we're looking for for these small weapons that are easily hidden is Saturday Night Special, fellas. They're cheap, crude and shitty guns that are supposedly only sold to criminal elements and are of suspect quality...

Well, as far as I learned, there were also some fairly high-quality pistols that are/were classified as Saturday Night Specials. Certain Glock models and the PPK mentioned earlier. Ack, I'm sounding like a conservative!

That aside, I wonders if all those weapon skills are actually necessary or if they could be simplified and abstracted into a smaller number of skills, e.g. martial arts, melee weapons, handguns (pistols + SMGs), long guns (rifles + shotguns), heavy weapons. Maybe even roll martial arts and melee weapons into one skill, since many martial arts also include the use of weapons.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 12:37:10 pm by Ihlosi »

tenmillimaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2013, 12:46:34 pm »

Well, as far as I learned, there were also some fairly high-quality pistols that are/were classified as Saturday Night Specials. Certain Glock models and the PPK mentioned earlier. Ack, I'm sounding like a conservative!

You would be correct, but that's not how a sensible minded liberal thinks!

fr0z3d

• Bay Watcher
  • /tmp/fr0z3d.log
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2013, 09:51:28 am »

*snip*

Any chances you could post your mod? :P

Probably allow squad members to keep secondary items (spray cans, Molotovs, crowbars), which would totally eliminate any disguise, and switch between the weapon and the item during a raid.

They shouldn't necessarily have to eliminate the disguise, maybe some sort of addition between weapon sizes and comparing them to the current disguise's max counseling. But I do agree with letting the squad members keep a secondary weapon

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello good people of the interwebs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2013, 10:06:09 am »

I think they are within the realm of LCS's scope.  They're a Hot ticket on the Liberal Agenda. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_night_special

Modern implementations such as the wiki weapon project (the plastic liberator, which I donated to) follow the same idea as far as sensible liberal insights go...
Ah, while reading that I thought you were talking about those tiny revolvers and one-shot pistols that can fit in the palm of your hand.
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.

Capital Fish

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hi Mister Dog!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2013, 10:16:04 am »

Ah, while reading that I thought you were talking about those tiny revolvers and one-shot pistols that can fit in the palm of your hand.

Derringers?
Find the errors in the above post and win a prize!

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2013, 10:43:43 am »

I think it's fine the way it is. Abstracted is good for a rougelike, that 9mm pistol can be whatever particular make and model and variant you want it to be in your mind, we don't need to have two dozen types of 9mm pistols with all the boring obscure nomenclatures and marginal statistical differences. It doesn't really make sense from the thematic standpoint either. Liberals don't know a barrel shroud from a bedded fiberglass stock, let alone a hundred different variants of Glock pistols and their respective muzzle energies and whatever.

I always figured the 9mm and .45 pistols and M16 and AK-47 being identical in the game was a poke at the 9mm vs .45 debates and suchlike gun owners seem to have such strong opinions on, otherwise they are just redundant.

I think crossbows would be a good addition to the game though. They'd be illegal in L+ of course.

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello good people of the interwebs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2013, 10:55:25 am »

Derringers?
Yeah, and believe it or not they have even smaller ones. I forget who the manufacturer is by they have ones about the size of a quarter.
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.
Pages: 1 [2] 3