Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ashannee adventure  (Read 790 times)

vixeyrose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ashannee adventure
« on: April 20, 2013, 07:31:11 pm »

This is my fist attempt at modding DF. The files included have adventure reactions and the Ashannee race. I did not want to add too much to adventure crafting in fear of over powering the adventurer. I hope you enjoy and leave your impressions/advise. The Ashannee are civ playable as well.

Copy the individual files and then drop them in the matching raw folders within your vanilla DF directory. Example copy creature_ashannee and paste it into the objects folder. Dont know how to make a self extractor type file. The plant_standard file will replace the default one. I added one material reaction to the vanilla version.

This was made while using the Phoebus graphic set and not a tile set.

Ashanne adventure mod files  --> updated 4-21-13

edit: world gen issue due to custom race resolved. Changed the ashannee's body to be more like an insect.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 09:13:33 pm by vixeyrose »

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
Re: Ashannee adventure
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 12:07:51 am »

upload to a site like imgur
put the direct link to the image in between [ IMG][ /IMG] (but with no spaces)
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 12:13:09 am »

Initially everything looks great, although I wonder why insects would have vertebrate skeletons. :P

However, if I try to generate a world with the entity file intact, the game crashes very shortly after beginning to run history. I'm looking into it now. All I know at the moment is that removing everything from the entity file except:

[ENTITY:ASHANNEE]
   [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE]
   [CREATURE:ASHANNEE]

will allow the game to generate the world without a crash. I'll look through it and see if i can find anything in particular wrong with the entity definition.

[edit]

After reviewing the entity file and going mad trying to figure out what was wrong with it, I concluded that there is actually something wrong with your creature definition. I replaced CREATURE:ASHANNEE with CREATURE:MANTIS_MAN and the world generated just fine. If I inject ashannee into any of the default civs in place of their normal race the issue occurs again.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 01:03:42 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

vixeyrose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 07:40:05 pm »

So its merely an issue of the creature's name? Wierd, I had a few issues on world gen myself. But, could not find an error. I scoured the provided entities and creatures to see a fault and could not. Didn't know a name could be such an issue. I will have to change the name to something else then try it / update the files. I used that body because I couldn't get the insect body the way I wanted it. Plus the default insect body with 2 arms and 4 legs is not actually laid out that way in the file. Before correcting it, it turns out to be only six legs. I think its a typo in the default file. I will continue to work on this. But, this was a start. I have a couple reactions that are only place holders at the moment. You can make tallows but currently I didnt add a reaction that uses it.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 08:19:09 pm »

Probably not the name, but the creature.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 09:35:51 pm »

Yeah, there's almost certainly nothing wrong with the name. What I was talking about was going into your entity definition and using a different creature than your Ashannee. My best guess was initially that there was something wrong with the body, but replacing it wholesale with the body definitions of other creatures still caused the bug. I kept playing with it and decided to remove the "[SPOUSE_CONVERSION_TARGET]" tag. After that, the worlds began generating just fine. I returned all the raws for your mod to what they were out of the box, which caused the bug to recur again, and then removed the spouse conversion target tag again, which once again let them generate.

So, apparently the only thing wrong with your mod that was causing it to crash during world gen was the presence of the [SPOUSE_CONVERSION_TARGET] tag. Not sure why exactly, because other races like humans and dwarves use it in the same manner you have without causing problems, but removing it seems to have fixed the problem.

So there you go! Remove that, and your mod should work fine!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

vixeyrose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 10:11:21 pm »

Thanks, I would have never found that on my own. Wish it would have just put it in the error log. But, I guess that would be too easy :) I will continue my work on reactions and make the creature more "insect" like :P Then I will post the updated file.