Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal Traps?  (Read 418 times)

TimeTurtle

• Bay Watcher
  • Stranglin' and Janglin'
    • View Profile
Animal Traps?
« on: April 21, 2013, 08:33:59 pm »

What do?! I have a bunch and they're just sitting there. So many two-legged rhino lizards. Can I do anything cool with them?
Prismo FTW.
Turtles Turtles.

Zombiearcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animal Traps?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 01:31:32 am »

Put them in a put and see if they fight? Have your dwarves bet on the outcomes? :)

Flarp

• Bay Watcher
  • and tearing apart the self-esteem!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 01:49:03 am »

Sell them to traders, mostly. "Small" pets (i.e., the ones that aren't discrete creatures in the wild) don't do much except get caught by cats and trappers, IIRC.

If you want to catch some more Fun stuff, tunnel into the first cavern layer and surround the cavern-side entrance with cage traps.
He views any show of emotion as offensive, sees introspection as important, values self-control, and strongly believes that a peaceful and ordered society without dissent would be best. He believes that mastery of a skill is one of the highest pursuits, values nature, and finds romance distasteful. He holds well-laid plans and shrewd deceptions in the highest regard.

Big Bear

• Bay Watcher
  • Just Right
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 04:31:59 am »

Animal traps don't really catch anything useful, unlike cage traps. I used to put my captured small creatures in green glass terrariums and put them in my dwarves' rooms. It didn't have any effect on anything, but it gave my fort a motto: Blood, Corpses, and a Lizard in Every Room.

Emily Murkpaddled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 05:33:50 pm »

I've had some memorable moments with small animal pets, but they all depended on the dwarfs in question first having a preference for the animal in question and actually adopting it. One of my above-ground forts had a dwarf that liked bats, and I managed to animal trap a few of those over time, all of which she adopted. There was a constant flutter and blur of tame vermin around her, until she died in an invasion of war elephants (I was playing Fortress Defense) and the bats all sadly flew into the sky and mysteriously disappeared forever. :(