Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Great (Country) History Thread  (Read 5222 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
The Great (Country) History Thread
« on: April 22, 2013, 02:08:13 pm »

The human history is an interesting tale, even if you leave all the bloody parts out. However, it surprises me how much this history is defined by where we live and how much holes there are in our view of the world. How much more interesting things there are to know. And since this is about the interesting tales, not the facts, let's ask stuff to the internet.

General Guidelines:

1. General forum guidelines. (Be nice)
2. You don't need to post straight facts. Colored History is fine. However, be accepting about other's people interpretations and don't post things that are straight up false**.
3. This is not the Country superiority thread. A bit of humor is fine, full on derail is not.
4. Reposting tales is fine*, though don't post things canned from Wikipedia. (If they are interesting, fine)

*Otherwise the majority of the forum would run out of things to say after the first few post.
**Oh, and put a content warning when posting questionable things. On that note, myths are fine.

To start things of, a theme of the week/day/ other time unit. (No need to follow it)

The Early Years.

How was the country formed. What came before? What happened after?

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile
Re: The Great (Country) History Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 02:26:51 pm »

PTW

also Canada started off as a British Colony but before that there was the Aboriginal peoples living here.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 05:28:34 pm »

PTW

also Canada started off as a British Colony but before that there was the Aboriginal peoples living here.

... You mean Australia?
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 05:42:53 pm »

Nope. I mean Canada.
(To be honest i didnt even know that Australia had a simaller heritige untill about a year ago)

SoHowAreYou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Game
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 05:45:19 pm »

Before their was a rich variety of natives, who came over the Baring strait, then the Europeans showed up late decided to call this the "New World", even though there was very little that was recently formed, for couple hundred years there was colonization, until a fact that people in retrospect Europe should've seen, became apparent

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah I know amazing right, so then this and general discontent caused the massive unlovable screw-up known as the U.S.A., which I am a proud citizen of.
Starting marching band will not be able to post everyday.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 06:00:09 pm »

Don't forget that there was a lot of enslavement/killing of a variety of native peoples there as well! Heck, we even imported some when we couldn't get enough! (Not to be too politically incorrect :P)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

SoHowAreYou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Game
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 06:01:58 pm »

Don't forget that there was a lot of enslavement/killing of a variety of native peoples there as well! Heck, we even imported some when we couldn't get enough! (Not to be too politically incorrect :P)

Well he just wanted the start I would cover that when the north and south went at each others throats, and started murdering each other
Starting marching band will not be able to post everyday.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 09:14:01 pm »

How was the country formed. What came before? What happened after?

Actually for many non-colonial countries that is a really complicated question because the whole "there were natives, then we killed them and declared independence" narrative doesn't apply. The narrative goes more like "we were there and occasionally formed states while being busy killing each other".

The current german state (as defined by the constitution) exists since 1949, though you could make a good case for 1990, with the reunification and receiving full souvereignty.
The first unified german state is the empire of 1871, but that was seen by many people at that time as a sort of replacement of the Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation (962 - 1806, or if you want to claim Charlemagne starting in 800).
Nationalist 19th century historians would go back even further and see the germanic tribes, in particular the confederations that formed against the romans, as the "beginning" of the country.

Similarly the current french constitution is from 1958, the revolution of 1789 would make sense as a beginning, though there were initially no territorial changes from the french monarchy before that. So you're back to the Capet kings, Charlemagne and the gaulic tribes.

It's like that for most european countries. Does Italy "start" in 1946, 1861 or 753 BC? How do you decide when "a country is formed" if you can pick from so many starting points?

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 01:03:43 am »

Russian, Ukrainian, Lithuanian, Belarusian and Polish nationalists are locked in a perpetual war over the history of their respective countries. As a result, trying to accurately describe the formation of Belarus (my homeland) is extremely difficult. It's a long, complicated story. When I get back home, I'll try to write something about it.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 01:07:27 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 01:06:00 am »

Colonization, assimilation, integration, stolen generation, reconciliation.
Australian history is a collection of 'ation's.

Mongol13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The mongols are and were cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 01:24:10 am »

Estonia's a small farm that the Russians, Germans, and Swedes have been fighting over and subjugating for as long as they're been able. Then America came along and was all like

U.S.A: "Hey Russia, we'll give you stuff if you give us Europe!"

U.S.S.R: "(grumbling) Okay..."

U.S.A: "Alright Estonians, we'll make you a sovereign democracy in our sphere of influence, sound cool?"

Estonia: "Yes please!"

And then we got back to farming and tree cutting with a parliament rather than a dictator.

Bonus fact: The national defense strategy is to hold out 40 minutes until NATO rescues us.
If Nyquil isn't meant to be abused, then why does it come with a shot glass?

My old account on this forum is klingon13524.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 01:43:17 am »

History of my country (Poland) is like...

Glorious medieval badassery, which then turns into interchangeable periods of: foreign occupation / several decades of freedom with incompetent rulers (today it's the latter, if someone's curious).

Except the time between World War I and II. Apparently that were some best times in Poland.
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 03:15:45 am »

Except the time between World War I and II. Apparently that were some best times in Poland.
Does the best times include the period of Jozef Pilsudski's dictatorship?
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 03:33:50 am »

PTW

... You mean Australia?
The term 'Aboriginal' isn't specific to Australia. The word maybe comes from there, but that's all.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 03:54:05 am »

It is a western word, comes from Latin if I recall correctly, not unique to Australia but most often connected to indigenous Australians.
Some indigenous Australians use the term 'Aboriginal' as a mark of pride, signifying a unique culture, while others would spit at you for using the term and see it as being as more racist as the infamous 'N-word'

It is a case where a label was given to an indigenous race by colonists, and some people took it different ways. In it is the kind of thing that the public will say, but you won't hear in the media.
Pages: [1] 2